Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dorfs actually die of infection?  (Read 1208 times)

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do dorfs actually die of infection?
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:50:38 pm »

I see a ton of posts on here warning about the great dangers of infection, but my last for went for seven years with several infected dorfs who never died from it. I'm pretty sure one of them even got over his. Do infections kill dorfs, or does it do something else to them?
puppywhirrrrrrl

Alogism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do dorfs actually die of infection?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 02:59:12 pm »

Yes, It does, A lot. Awhile ago in one fort when I was training doctors, I threw all my migrants for two years off a 3 level tower, And had my unskilled doctor take care of them all
I had no soap, So mortality was about 95%, Almost all from infection. Then again the migrants that 'Volunteered' for med school were all super susceptible to disease and weak and had really bad stats elsewhere too

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:01:07 pm »

Yes. Dwarves do die of infection.

Just yesterday I lost my mason to infection after a piece of landscape viscously assaulted his arms and legs and I couldn't get soap and water up fast enough.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:04:13 pm »

Sometimes dwarves (and animals) will bounce back from a completely mauling (see sig).  Sometimes you'll get a message saying that Urist McUnlucky has succumbed to infection...

It's probably affected by their physical stats--I'd guess their susceptibility to disease is a major factor.  And soap.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:09:50 pm »

When dwarves get infections, it seems to be handled as if it were internal bleeding - the dwarf becomes Faint and then Pale, and viewing their Health status will indicate minor/major blood loss.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 03:49:54 pm »

one of mine also left a ton of dwarven pus

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:53:36 pm »

It wasn't a dwarf, but I did have a cat die of infection. What a noble cat -- it got caved-in on so that my miners would not.

The only dwarf in recent memory that *could* have died of infection wound up getting frozen in a cube of ice instead. O.o

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 05:12:42 pm »

Yeah, I had some die of infection.  Some guys were injured in a cave-in early in the game, so I set up a hospital and set my best diagnostician as the chief medical dwarf.  However, due to the migrant bug, he didn't actually have the Diagnosis task enabled, so my injured miners never got treated...
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove