Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MAngband  (Read 4297 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MAngband
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:08:52 am »

obligatory link: www.mangband.org
Multiplayer variant of angband. (Which I never played :P)

I remember somebody recently said, they'd like to get a b12 group going, and so I thought I give it a look. I think it's pretty darn interesting. And now (I'm preparing to duck the rotten tomatoes...) I'm playing and can't get the frickin tilesets to be used.

There is a 16x16.bmp located where it should be, the .ini looks just right, and I'm still looking at ascii. So before we delve into the depths... anybody know how to fix that?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: MAngband
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:27:18 am »

But but but ASCII is better for games like this.  Trust me, 16x16 tiles are not acceptable if knowing the difference between two monsters is the only thing standing between you and death.  Especially if it's real-time and you can't just sit there and check and make sure it's one thing or another.
Shoes...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:31:53 am »

That isn't really answering my question. If I want to play it with certain friends I got, I just have to get it to work with tilesets, but that is besides the point. (also, when playing the first few times, 16x16 graphics are probably identified faster than colored letters ::))
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:37:26 am by Puck »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:17:20 pm »

That isn't really answering my question. If I want to play it with certain friends I got, I just have to get it to work with tilesets, but that is besides the point. (also, when playing the first few times, 16x16 graphics are probably identified faster than colored letters ::))
easy identifying seems like wall hacking in this type of game. if a player rogue can't send a Cat which has the same letter and slight but different tint as a Colossus flush archers out for a Gimping back stab.
It would be unfair for the rogue if he didn't know that some people end up playing the game that remove the sense of hitting the look command.
it's not a single player where changing the look would only effect you it's a multiplayer that kind of stuff can lead to unfair advantages to the vanilla players who don't have tile sets.
Still this is not answering your question of Where can you get a tile pack for this game.
though I don't know if this game 16x16 either just large letters or detail images which puck asking for a better variation during the time I made this post.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 03:52:52 am »

The question is not where to get it. It's in the download already. It's just not working properly.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 07:14:22 am »

I'd suggest PWMangband as far as giving a whirl goes as it seems to be in at least somewhat more active release/dev.

http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1839

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 09:29:36 am »

easy identifying seems like wall hacking in this type of game. if a player rogue can't send a Cat which has the same letter and slight but different tint as a Colossus flush archers out for a Gimping back stab.
It would be unfair for the rogue if he didn't know that some people end up playing the game that remove the sense of hitting the look command.
it's not a single player where changing the look would only effect you it's a multiplayer that kind of stuff can lead to unfair advantages to the vanilla players who don't have tile sets.
Still this is not answering your question of Where can you get a tile pack for this game.
though I don't know if this game 16x16 either just large letters or detail images which puck asking for a better variation during the time I made this post.

Maybe I'm not following you, but are you saying it's unfair that rogues can't gank people by exploiting similar tiles?
Shoes...

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:48:41 am »

God why are there so many modded version of Angband? It ruins the game so much that I now refuse to play the damn thing.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 10:59:21 am »

Because it's really easy to do basic (content) variants for Angband? And vanilla angband gets kinda' bland after you've played it for X years, so a bit of variation spices things up.

Don't see why it'd ruin the game for you, though. Most of the quality *band variants play differently enough from vanilla that they're not stepping on any toes; you're getting something different enough from base that base still has its charm (to some people, anyway.). If you don't like 'em, just ignore 'em. It's easy enough to just play vanilla if for some reason that's your preference.

Unless playing the variants makes vanilla look puny and weak :P The many ([opinion]and actually interesting[/opinion]) *band variants are the primary reason I've never played vanilla angband for more than a few characters, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 11:58:32 am »

There are justso many Mods that I dunno which one is the best.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 01:33:13 pm »

But but but ASCII is better for games like this.  Trust me, 16x16 tiles are not acceptable if knowing the difference between two monsters is the only thing standing between you and death.  Especially if it's real-time and you can't just sit there and check and make sure it's one thing or another.

Well then ASCII isn't acceptible either.

Imagine playing a game where enemies all appear the same except some kill you with one hit and one kills you with one hit if you think he is the one that kills you with one hit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 05:54:48 pm »

I... that would actually be kinda' awesome. All you'd have to do to survive is not think any enemies would kill you with one hit.

How the program would figure out what you're thinking is a different question and probably requires another 5-10 years of electronics and neurology research before it'd even considering hitting the mass market at anything resembling affordable, but hey, what a concept!

ASCII's pretty easy to avoid copying with, though. You've got a minimum of [52 (plus a bit, depending on which non-letter symbols you're willing to use) * distinct colors] unique symbols. Consistent coloring and symbol usage makes determining which are dangerous a cinch, especially if there's something that gives the player a general heuristic for knowing if something's dangerous (i.e. dungeon depth).

Does tend to take a bit to figure out which color/symbol combinations are likely to kill you, but that falls into the (*band variants more than most RLs, to be honest) trope of learning by dying. A trope which tends to get spoilered out of existence in short order, thank the gods.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 04:58:44 am »

Hiho! I've just started to play MAngband (Multiplayer Angband) - https://mangband.org.

Recently this game had a birthday - 20 years!

It's got new website, relay between game and Discord (https://discord.gg/U5B65Rh) and also updates comming soon. Gameplay feels very oldschool and I enjoyed it! My video stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnZP-ZE63Aw

As the most often question considering MAngband is 'how roguelike could be played online, if it's turn-based??', I would answer it right away hehe:

Speaking literally, this is fast-paced turn-based game. But turns happens on real-time basis - something like every second is one turn passes.

Every turn player and monsters could make a move (perform an action). Drinking a potion, for example, drain only part of 'energy' from the turn. Having +speed items give possibility to perform more action at short period of time.

Easiest way to see how turns run - to equip torch and check 'e' several times in a row - you would see how amount of turns decrease on it.

To handle 'real-time', your character automatically fights in melee nearby enemies and all you need to do is approach them; magic spells and shooting has to be done manually thought, but also you could assign macro to perform actions faster and effectively.

There is 'Newbie guide' which could give basic info: https://mangband.org/docs/the-mangband-newbie-guide

===============

There is an update comming soon! You could check issues @ github: https://github.com/mangband/mangband/issues

Join the development! It would be great to get help from the community!

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 04:13:05 am »

Today I've made fun stream in English where I introduced some sneak-peaks into MAng latest features :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_g2hQPTTk

It's got very active development process atm, new client is comming!

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 02:14:49 pm »

Sneak peek at MAngband (https://mangband.org/) android client:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMxx-WxtG5c

It's even got animation ^^

And browser web-client coming too! :D It's already possible to connect with it to TomeNET/PWMA to walk around ;)

http://test.mangband.org/webclient/

To connect wil browser client - enter credentials and wait for some time.. It's in very deep test mode, so errors occures (check for debug messages with 'F12').. Browser client is kinda in _very_ deep demo pre-dev version. Android client is much better developed so far :)

Download android MAng test client:
https://mangband.github.io/mangband-builds-android/

Damm.. Playing with android client gives possibility to play in VR. I've got Samsung Gear VR, so I'll try and make a report about it :)

Future is near!