Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 193302 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1665 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19:29 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:58:45 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 23, 2014, 05:32:46 am »

You could use any algorithm that works for reals as long as that algorithm didn't somewhere use that 2 \neq 0 or that you have a notion of being positive, with the added bonus that you won't encounter numerics. Especially, I don't see why LUP should not work. You should be able to solve your equation in O(n^2.376), n the dimension, or whatever better algorithm is already known.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 23, 2014, 01:22:31 pm »

Can someone tell me, conceptually what eigenvalues and eigenvectors are? I can work the math and find them, but it's difficult to see how to use them, remember the formulas if I'm not sure what they are supposed to represent.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 23, 2014, 02:33:09 pm »

Can someone tell me, conceptually what eigenvalues and eigenvectors are? I can work the math and find them, but it's difficult to see how to use them, remember the formulas if I'm not sure what they are supposed to represent.
Okay, so you have a linear function that maps things onto the same kind of things. Then an eigenthing is a thing that gets mapped onto a multiple of itself. And the eigenvalue is how multiple it gets made. So if you have a square matrix that maps vectors onto vectors by left-multiplication, then the eigenthings are called eigenvectors.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 23, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »

Ok, that makes much more sense now. Thanks. :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 23, 2014, 10:20:34 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:59:01 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:17 am »

Does anyone have pointers to a good introduction to homology? My prof went through the technical details at a rapid pace, and I failed to keep up - and now I'm lost. Badly.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:57 am »

Does anyone have pointers to a good introduction to homology? My prof went through the technical details at a rapid pace, and I failed to keep up - and now I'm lost. Badly.
What kind¿

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 24, 2014, 12:29:05 pm »

What kind of homology? Singular, I guess. But knowing about the others wouldn't hurt either.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 25, 2014, 06:15:23 am »

So of topological spaces (there are others, e.g. of chain complexes, giving rise to what is called homological algebra). Then I would recommend Hatcher's Algebraic Topology (should be chapter 2). It has lots of exercises and is one of the more elaborate books I am aware of.
In case you want to look at chain complexes and such (the methods are over all of mathematics, especially algebraic topology and geometry), I know that Weibel's Introduction to Homological Algebra is fine, but be warned that this subject, while not difficult, can get quite lengthy. Due to its nature, reading lots of homological algebra at once may be a bit dull, a lot of people learn it simply "along the way". I don't have the book at hand to point out the most relevant chapters, but everything about homology of complexes is relevant, and taking a look at the chapter concerned with simplicial methods might be a good idea after having seen simplicial homology in topology.

As mentioned there are others, e.g. group (co)homology or étale cohomology, but I would advise understanding one of the more basic ones above first.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:18:39 am by ZetaX »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 25, 2014, 09:22:17 am »

Thanks! I actually have chapter two of Hatcher's Algebraic Topology open in another tab :D
The Bay12 postcard club

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 20, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »

Can someone tell me how the integral of r^(4/7) (or fourth-root of r^7) is

(4/11)* r^(11/4) + C

Both my book and Wolfram Alpha tell me that it's something like that, while basic sense and another calculator tell me it's

(7/11) * r^(11/7) + C
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 20, 2014, 05:14:35 pm »

(4/11)* r^(11/4) + C

Both my book and Wolfram Alpha tell me that it's something like that, while basic sense and another calculator tell me it's

(7/11) * r^(11/7) + C
What are you putting into WA? Because my WA query gave me the bottom expression like it should.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 20, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »

Okay, now WA is giving me the proper one, but the book is still wrong and I don't know if it's just a mis-print or if I'm missing something sneaky. :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: November 20, 2014, 05:26:56 pm »

(4/11)* r^(11/4) + C

(7/11) * r^(11/7) + C
7/11 * r^(11/7) + C should be correct. Derivative is 11/7 * 7/11 * r^(4/7) dr.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 173