Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 193167 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2145 on: April 12, 2016, 12:01:30 pm »

It rests on the incorrect assumption that any largest integer exists. The logic itself is flawless.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: April 13, 2016, 02:41:40 am »

If I may? That's fucking stupid.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: April 13, 2016, 07:35:19 am »

Clearly you're not a mathematician then ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: April 13, 2016, 09:42:58 am »

The theorem that's proven here isn't really best stated as "1 is the largest integer", rather "If a largest integer exists, then 1 is the largest integer" which is vacuously true. You can of course use the same chain of logic to prove "If a largest integer exists, then 2 is the largest integer" or any other number of true but useless statements.

There are mathematicians who are also uncomfortable with proofs like that. I believe reasoning like that in the proof displayed above is disallowed in the school of Intuitionistic logic (which is not widely used).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:57:34 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: April 13, 2016, 02:55:22 pm »

If n^2 > n is the only criteria deciding whether a number is the "largest number", then 0, 1, all numbers in between, and infinity are all largest number. Which means that 0=1=∞ and also equals all numbers between 0 and 1. (0<=n<=1) = ∞ ?

If this isn't insane troll logic, I don't know what is.

(If there is no largest number, then the theorem is obviously false, 1 cannot be the largest number because no number is the largest number!)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: April 13, 2016, 04:38:06 pm »

There are mathematicians who are also uncomfortable with proofs like that. I believe reasoning like that in the proof displayed above is disallowed in the school of Intuitionistic logic (which is not widely used).

Intuitionists allow that false statements imply everything ("ex falso quod libet"). They only do not use proof by contradiction, or more precisely that one of A or (not A) is true for every statement A.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: April 14, 2016, 04:07:13 pm »

If n^2 > n is the only criteria deciding whether a number is the "largest number", then 0, 1, all numbers in between, and infinity are all largest number. Which means that 0=1=∞ and also equals all numbers between 0 and 1. (0<=n<=1) = ∞ ?
Nope, \infty is not a number, and for 0 the statement 'n > 0 \Rightarrow nē > n' does not hold, because 1 exists and is bigger than 0.
The Bay12 postcard club

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: April 14, 2016, 04:45:51 pm »

But it's "any n for which n^2 > n is true isn't the largest number" ...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: April 14, 2016, 04:54:14 pm »

In fact, anything between 0 and 1 would be false for that criterion, since within that range n^2<n.
Yes, but n is chosen to be an integer greater than 1 precisely because any number less than one is tautologically...err, sorry to belabour this, but numbers less than one are by definition not greater than one.  Also, there are no integers between 0 and 1, unless you include the end points of 0 and 1 themselves. 

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: April 14, 2016, 08:33:42 pm »

Yes, but then they went on to say "use this theorem to prove that 1/2 is the largest non-integral rational number" and my brain went "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: April 19, 2016, 03:21:43 am »

So I've taken statistics, but I have no idea what equation I could use to determine this. Here's the basic setup.
1) You are trying to hit someone. They have a chance to dodge your punches.
2) Your have an anger problem, so every time you miss you are angry enough that your next 3 punches are guaranteed to hit (whether or not they would have hit already).
3) I'm looking for an equation that will allow me to determine the effect on a person's average ability to dodge with your anger problem vs. without it.

This is of course easy to calculate for some nice numbers. For example If they have a 33% chance of dodging without the anger problem then it becomes a 16.5% chance to dodge with it. The reason why is easy to see, if they have a 33% chance then that means on average they will dodge 1 in 3 strikes. Since your anger guarantees you are going to hit for 3 strikes that means that, on average, one of those three punches would have otherwise missed. Since you had to miss a punch in the first place to trigger the effect, the overall average means that for every miss there will be one punch that will hit when it would otherwise have missed, for a net reduction in average dodging power to half of what it would be normally, i.e. 33%->16.5%. 100% and 0% are also easy numbers to calculate, with 100% dodging ability with the anger resulting in a consistent pattern of 1 miss followed by three hits, resulting in a net dodging power of 100%->25%, and 0% means that you will never miss so we get 0%->0%.

Now at first I tried a couple different distribution methods at first but it quickly became obvious that that wasn't what I was looking for. After a bit of digging it seems like I might be looking for something built on top of an "expected value" equation, but I'm not totally sure how to set that up.

Ideally the equation should depend on the number of "guaranteed" anger hits you get after each miss along with their "base" ability to dodge your punches, but in a worst case scenario just one based on their base ability would work for my purposes as well too.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: April 19, 2016, 06:01:25 am »

There are other ways to look at it. e.g. forget the rhetoric of "unblockable attacks", that's a red herring which makes it sound more complicated than it really is. You can think about it this way: consider a "normal" random sequence of dodge/hits. For every successful hit, the attacker scores 1 point and costs 1 turn. For every successful dodge, the attacker scores 3 points and costs 4 turns. What's the average number of points per turn? This is logically equivalent to the puzzle you presented. Just treat the "free" attacks as occurring between the regular random events.

Call the dodge rate "d" and the free hits "h". The formula for points =

d * h + 1 - d

And the formula for "turns" =

d * (h+1) + (1-d) = d * h + 1

Putting that together you have, points per turn of":

P = (d * h + 1 - d) / (d * h + 1)
P = 1 - d/(d * h + 1)
P = 1 - 1/(h + 1/d)

So from that, assuming the logic is sound, for d=1/3, h=3 the formula gives

1 - 1/(3 + 3) = 1 - 1/6 = 83.33%

for the 50% dodge rate, the formula is:

1 - 1/(3 + 2) = 1 - 1/5 = 80.00%
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:15:53 am by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: April 19, 2016, 06:03:28 am »

Yes, but then they went on to say "use this theorem to prove that 1/2 is the largest non-integral rational number" and my brain went "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
Sig'd.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: April 19, 2016, 10:26:51 am »

-snip-
I think I'm understanding you properly, but now is changing the points per turn into a "dodge percentage chance" (which is what I'm looking for as a final answer) just as simple as doing 1-ans%?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:28:53 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: April 19, 2016, 11:19:06 am »

Number of points is the number of hits. Turns is hits plus misses.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 173