Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 193455 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2460 on: May 04, 2017, 06:22:27 am »

Say I have a and b, which are arbitrary real numbers, can I say that (a+b), (2b-a), and (a-b) can be represented by x1, x2, and x3 which are arbitrary real numbers? If so, how do I prove that? It seems like something that is possible, but I have never split constants before, I have only ever combined them.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2461 on: May 04, 2017, 06:34:05 am »

You definitely can say that, since there's no way to combine real numbers to produce a non-real result. I think there should be some kind of proof by contradiction if you assume a and b are real but combine to form some arbitrary (x + iy)? I don't think you'd need to prove it, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2462 on: May 04, 2017, 09:44:21 am »

Yeah, I know the reals are a group (which legitimises the assumption), but proving that the reals are a group (which is essentially what Cinder's asking)? Bit more of a mouthful.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2463 on: May 04, 2017, 10:00:25 am »

Blark, yes, you're right. I'm on vac, that's my excuse. :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 04, 2017, 11:13:48 am »

I was asking about dimensionality, which, in this case, was just two like I suspected.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 13, 2017, 06:24:23 am »

a) should be trivial to solve, but my method (find the normal unit vector of E1 dependent on s) gives me ugly values, so I'm assuming I did something wrong. What should I do?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 13, 2017, 07:51:29 am »

E1 has the equation 2x1 + 2x2 - 3x3 = c. Determine c by using the fact that P lies in E1, then intersect E1 and g to get R.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: June 03, 2017, 03:47:40 am »

Could someone calculate a transformation matrix that reflects a vector with respect to a plane with (1, -2, 2)T as its normal vector for me? The one I got changes the length of the vector for some reasons and I want to see if someone else's answer matches mine.

EDIT: I normed the normal vector of the plane and it gives me another length. What the fuck is going on!?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:12:20 am by Cinder »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: June 03, 2017, 07:41:34 am »

A reflection matrix that reflects along a given normal vector v is given by M = I-2vv'/v'v. As you can easily check, Mv = -v and Mw = w for any w orthogonal to v. Inserting that particular normal vector into the equation results in (1/9)*[[7,4,-4],[4,1,8],[-4,8,1]].
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:54:22 am by MagmaMcFry »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: June 03, 2017, 07:48:41 am »

Wait, I think I know how to do that one :o

Uhh...

Glep.  Maybe when I'm not braindead-tired...

You need to get the unit normal before making the reflection matrix though, I think.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: June 03, 2017, 10:55:35 am »

Okay, norming the normal vector DOES solve my problem, I apparently was an idiot and fucked up when applying the transformation. Also, the English script of my university's notes omitted the part where you have to norm the thing, and for some reasons use a different definition than the German script.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: June 15, 2017, 08:47:45 am »

Can someone explain to me the relation between the two part of this problem? And what concept it's trying to get me to use? I'm guessing this has something to do with characteristic polynomials but I'm not sure how that applies here.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: June 15, 2017, 09:17:01 am »

IDK why you have a21 rather than b1 in the first part, but otherwise the problem seems to be about using the determinant of a matrix used for find the equation of a polynomial to see if it has no solution, a unique solution, or many solutions.

In other words, there does seem to be a strange disconnect between the parts of a problem.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: June 15, 2017, 09:19:52 am »

The coordinates of the matrix are the points that would yield the polynomial x^2, no? The computing of the determinant probably gives you some sort of existence and/or uniqueness condition, but that's just a guess. If the three points are not distinct, then your polynomial is definitely not unique, and that determinant is definitely zero. No idea though
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: June 15, 2017, 09:39:29 am »

The coordinates of the matrix are the points that would yield the polynomial x^2, no? The computing of the determinant probably gives you some sort of existence and/or uniqueness condition, but that's just a guess. If the three points are not distinct, then your polynomial is definitely not unique, and that determinant is definitely zero. No idea though

...right, this post reminded me of what's going on.

Given n+1 points, you can find the equation (if one exists) for an n-degree polynomial that passes through those points by setting up n+1 linear equations. For each input an, you get an equation of the form (c0an0 + c1an1 + ... + cnann = bn). When you set up the system with matrices, you get:
[ a00   a01   ...   a0n ] [c0]      [b0]
[ a10   a11   ...   a1n ] [c1]      [b1]
[  .           .          . ] [ . ]  =  [ . ]
[  .           .          . ] [ . ]      [ . ]
[  .           .          . ] [ . ]      [ . ]
[ an0   an1   ...   ann ] [cn]      [bn]

For n=2, the first matrix is the same one that your problem shows inside determinant brackets. The value of the determinant should tell you about the existence of solutions. Everything else is just solving a linear system.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:41:34 am by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 173