Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 172

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 187087 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2475 on: June 15, 2017, 10:11:29 am »

The coordinates of the matrix are the points that would yield the polynomial x^2, no? The computing of the determinant probably gives you some sort of existence and/or uniqueness condition, but that's just a guess. If the three points are not distinct, then your polynomial is definitely not unique, and that determinant is definitely zero. No idea though
The value of the determinant should tell you about the existence of solutions.
Not quite. If det(A) =  0, then Ax = b has either no solution or infinitely many. If det(A) != 0, then it has exactly one solution.

Spoiler: Details (click to show/hide)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: June 15, 2017, 08:39:47 pm »

Rank isn't an easily computed invariant like determinant though, and mere existence of a solution isn't all that hard to establish: Just check that the points given don't map one number to two different outputs, and you can construct a solution geometrically. Use the constant part to drag the first point to the x axis, drag the second point to the x axis with the linear term*, and then apply the intermediate value theorem to establish that you can hit the third point using the remaining term.

*This is where we'd hit a snag if we had two outputs above the same input, since that would require a flip by 90°.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2477 on: June 19, 2017, 02:55:27 am »

I'm completely stumped. I'm reading over a nonlinear dynamical systems paper, and at one point they go from

to

And I can't for the life of me figure out how that's correct. The best I can manage is

But I can't see how that extra factor in the denominator reduces the numerator to the form they have. I feel like I'm just being dense, anyone see what my mistake is?

All the constants are nonzero and positive.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: June 19, 2017, 03:44:46 am »

But I can't see how that extra factor in the denominator reduces the numerator to the form they have. I feel like I'm just being dense, anyone see what my mistake is?

All the constants are nonzero and positive.

Do we know anything about z?
If it's a constant like a-f, then I can't see how the we can keep a linear dependence in the numerator for the derivative but somehow reduce the resulting quadratic dependence in the denominator.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2479 on: June 19, 2017, 04:08:44 am »

z is a constant, yes. e is also an arbitrary constant, not Euler's number. The only relationship between the constants is

b > d + z/f

I'm starting to wonder if I've missed something from context or something strange like that.

At this point I'd settle for proof that psi'(0) is negative iff z/(f^2) > e, which is the conclusion the authors draw, and as long as that's correct I think everything else hangs together.

I'm just thoroughly confused, because it seems highly unlikely that the authors would be wrong, but I can't see how they could be right either...

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: June 19, 2017, 07:39:19 am »

z is a constant, yes. e is also an arbitrary constant, not Euler's number. The only relationship between the constants is

b > d + z/f

I'm starting to wonder if I've missed something from context or something strange like that.

At this point I'd settle for proof that psi'(0) is negative iff z/(f^2) > e, which is the conclusion the authors draw, and as long as that's correct I think everything else hangs together.

I'm just thoroughly confused, because it seems highly unlikely that the authors would be wrong, but I can't see how they could be right either...

Cool, then I think we can get it  :)
Inserting y=0 in the denominator makes it: f(b-d)-z = f( b - d - z/f), but b > d+z/f  =>  b - d - z/f > 0, i.e. it can't be zero and (especially squared) it will be positive and therefore not affect the sign of the derivative.

So we just have to look at the nominator of the fraction derivative: n'(y) * d(y) - d'(y)*n(y)
I get
n'(y) = (d+ey) + (f+y)*e
d'(y) = (b-d-ey) +(f+y)*(-e)

Inserting 0 as y in these and slowly lifting the (negative) parentheses ends me with a lot of cancelling parts, so only bef2 - bz  is left

I.e.  Phi'(0) = a*(bef2 - bz) / f2* 'something positive' = -ab*(z/f2-e) / 'something positive'.

I.e. The sign of the derivative at y=0 is indeed negative iff z/f2-e > 0   <=>  z/f2 > e

:)  Let me know if you want to compare how I lift the parentheses.

(It would seem that there is an typo in the book, as the equation for phi'(0) would be correct if the denominator was squared.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:38:07 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2481 on: June 19, 2017, 08:36:51 am »

That's what I got as well, yes. Which is good, because it means the rest of the results should be fine. If anyone has an explanation as to the derivatives, though, I'd love to see it - I'm still baffled.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: June 19, 2017, 08:46:25 am »

...  If anyone has an explanation as to the derivatives, though, I'd love to see it - I'm still baffled.

? I don't understand, - i.e. would you like to see how I get the long list of mostly cancelling terms?
My HMoM forts :

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2483 on: June 19, 2017, 09:05:11 am »

No, that's easy. What I'd like to know is exactly how the authors of the paper got

As the derivative of psi at 0.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:42 am »

No, that's easy. What I'd like to know is exactly how the authors of the paper got

As the derivative of psi at 0.

Hmm, I'm sure I see the problem, - beside that I truly believe there is a typo in the book.

I.e. Phi(y) = a* n(y)/d(y)
Phi'(y)=a*(n'(y)*d(y) - d'(y)*n(y) ) / d2(y)
= a*( (1*(d+ey)+(f+y)*e)*((f+y)*(b-d-ey)-z) - (((b-d-ey)+(f+y)*(-e))*((f+y)*(d+ey)+z)) ) / ((f+y)*(b-d-ey)-z)2

Inserting 0 as y

= a*( (1*(d+ey)+(f+y)*e)*((f+y)*(b-d-ey)-z) - (((b-d-ey)+(f+y)*(-e))*((f+y)*(d+ey)+z)) ) / ((f+y)*(b-d-ey)-z)2
= a*( (d+f*e)*(f*(b-d)-z) - (((b-d)-f*e))*((f*d+z)) ) / (f*(b-d)-z)2

... reducing the numerator ...

= a* (bef2 - bz) / (f*(b-d)-z)2

pulling a b out of the numerator, and an f2 out of numerator and denominator

= a*b* ( f2*(e-z/f2) ) / ( f*((b-d) - z/f ) )2
= a*b* ( f2*(e-z/f2) ) /  f2*(b-d - z/f )2

and for some reason wanting a '-' in front

= (-1)*(-1) a*b* ((e-z/f2) ) /  (b-d - z/f )2
= -ab* (  -1*(e-z/f2) ) /  (b-d - z/f )2
= -ab* (  -e +z/f2) ) /  (b-d - z/f )2
= -ab* (   z/f2 -e ) /  (b-d - z/f )2

Q.E.D.   :)   (Still assuming a typo in the book.)

Or are we talking past each others?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:44:12 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: June 19, 2017, 10:01:58 am »

Definitely looking like a typo, if my own algebra is anything to go by.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2486 on: June 19, 2017, 10:30:36 am »

The assumption that there's a typo in the paper is kinda suboptimal, but it looks correct. Oddly, WolframAlpha thinks that's not right, but there are now three different people contradicting it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Thank you guys.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: June 19, 2017, 11:12:37 am »

I mean, it makes sense that there is a typo.

Let u be the numerator and v be the denominator. Both u and v can be seen as first-order polynomials in terms of z: p(z, y, parameters) = (some sign value)z + (some function)(y, parameters).

Calculating d(u/v)/dy = (u'v - uv')/v2 gives us at most a first-order polynomial in the resulting numerator (as p' = (some function)' with respect to y) and exactly second-order denominator. [Pardon my programmer-ish notation]

That cannot be achieved with the author's suggested solution.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2488 on: July 03, 2017, 08:34:09 pm »

Why is this expression true? (That "Pi" represents the pi symbol. I thought the alt code for it looked too much like an "n".)
sin(2*Pi/3) = √(3)/2

I don't understand how that conversion works.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2489 on: July 04, 2017, 05:28:29 am »

Geometric construction using a hexagon, if I recall properly.

Easier than that, even. Sin(2pi/3) is just sin(pi/3) in the 2nd quadrant (if you prefer, you can think of it as sin(pi-pi/3)), which is (√3)/2. (Since the sign of sin (best phrase) doesn't change in the 2nd quadrant because it's a function only of y and r, which are both still positive.)

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 172