Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: So much nicer here.  (Read 29401 times)

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
Re: So much nicer here.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 05:11:22 pm »

cmon, out with it man/woman!
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 05:35:20 pm »

This is an exceptionally nice and intelligent forum. And by that, I'm referring to regulars and long-time members. Newbies come along, and they either start nice, get nice to fit in or get forced out by well-thought-out ownage by the older members.
Let's face it, flaming happens, but only to those that deserve it. By which I mean the stupid and the trollish. You would never be flamed for being furry or for needing help or something else incidental and meaningless on this forum, but if your a dickhead, you're getting a verbal beatdown. When you realize your jokes about the experienced poster's mothers are having no effect, you will eventually bugger off.
At least that's how it goes in my experience.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 06:27:40 pm »

On the other hand, most other forums don't feature incessant back-patting about how smart and superior they are.

You must admit that we are superior to most, if not all other internet forums.

No other forum has yet come up with a viable solution for farming sentients for their valuable bones, after all.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 06:52:43 pm »

I think there was a thread like this before... If I remember the reasoning was that the learning curve in DF is so steep that trolls can't play the game long enough to find something to complain about.

Amazing though, the most flame I can remember is the poop-in-DF argument and the channeling creates ramps argument... and those weren't that bad.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 06:59:38 pm »

Yea, the forum is great here. Best i've ever seen. I HAVE seen the flames of the over troll a few times down in the other games section but thats mostly due to "outsider" people coming in without having to get over the DF learning curve, heh.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 07:39:06 pm »

I think the entry bar is set pretty high around these parts which naturally discourages the undesirables.
Look at the amount of time & effort learning to play Fortress mode takes, most average internet people don't have the attention span or level of commitment to invest in that to then turn up on the forums & act like they would elsewhere.
If anything that investment gives people a sense of camaraderie with the others here especially when there's no "I win" scenario in this game & it requires a hell of a lot of lateral thinking to get beyond the merely surviving level of a fortress.

The only trolling that really exists with regards to this game is "OMG TEH INTERFACE SUCKS WHY WOULD I PLAY SOMETHING THAT BAD" or certain elitist types who go "lulz you use tilesets n00b pure ASCII is the only way to play DF" which in my experience tends to mainly be on other sites where DF is discussed (both arguements can GTFO TBH).

I agree stuff like the Mermaid farming thread, which was pure awesome, kill most trolling attempts before they're even conceived. If stuff like that is normal & discussed in a rational manner, even held in high regard for the hubris it's hard to think of things which could rile people.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:28 pm »

Yeah even if you do things like mod tits into the game you just get praise.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 08:20:34 pm »

Well, to be fair many internet "communities" would applaud such an endeavour...

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »

Well, to be fair many internet "communities" would applaud such an endeavour...

I didn't think there would be so much appreciation for the Paridae family......
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 03:12:20 am »

Why yes, I am very attractive.

I'm surprised no one called this already. Sigged, if it please ye!

I definitely agree with everything here. I follow the Dwarf Mode and Adventure Mode forums religiously, and check out the rest of them from time to time, and typically I find myself wandering away from the computer and sighing, "I love Dwarf Fortress people."

Punished

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 04:14:22 am »

I spent a lot of time thinking about this the other night, and I believe I found a very believable reason why this forum is so nice, aside from the learning curve turning most troll-type posters away.

Anybody who plays this game past the initial learning stage and actually gets to the point where they "understand" the game has come to terms with the fact that you cannot win DF. With that being said, there's no competition. Without being able to win, and with a game thats so diverse, there's no reason to compete. There is no right way to do anything in this game.

An example of this would as simple as something as embarking strategies. There's no need to fight over petty things such as which embark skills/goods are the best, because in the hands of a skilled player, you can embark without any skills and just a log of wood and build a decent fort just fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that instead of arguing over whats "best" so that we can "win" better than anyone else, we all help each other see new and creative idea's that allow us to play the game in a different way. I've not seen one person on these forums claim to be a better DF player than anyone else, I've just seen them say they have more experience, or that they've come across said problem before and then listed how they overcame it.

I personally believe that the "Losing is fun" mentality that all DF players have is ultimately what sets this community apart from all others.

Now if you'll excuse me, my woodcutter just got done with his strange mood, and he's beating all the cats to death with the yellow jasper table he crafted.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 04:28:59 am »

I spent a lot of time thinking about this the other night...

Hey look, it's pretty much everything I love about this game.  Well said.

wolflance

• Bay Watcher
  • Not knowing is half the Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 05:24:04 am »

This is indeed the nicest forum I have ever posted at. With good dwarven humors and booze-filled discussion atmosphere.

I dunno, maybe this is due to the "Sanity is not a requirement to play this game" thing.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 06:07:48 am »

Bay12 is fairly fine. Beware the fanboys, though, they seem more fanatical in here than anywhere else  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 06:25:10 am »

Bay12 is fairly fine. Beware the fanboys, though, they seem more fanatical in here than anywhere else  :o

Really? People make lots of negative comments about DF and noone really goes off on one. I make enough negative comments about the vast numbers of problems the game has.

Of course maybe still thinking it's good after that makes me a fanboy too....
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8