Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: So much nicer here.  (Read 29411 times)

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So much nicer here.
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2010, 06:26:36 am »

I spent a lot of time thinking about this the other night, and I believe I found a very believable reason why this forum is so nice, aside from the learning curve turning most troll-type posters away.

Anybody who plays this game past the initial learning stage and actually gets to the point where they "understand" the game has come to terms with the fact that you cannot win DF. With that being said, there's no competition. Without being able to win, and with a game thats so diverse, there's no reason to compete. There is no right way to do anything in this game.

An example of this would as simple as something as embarking strategies. There's no need to fight over petty things such as which embark skills/goods are the best, because in the hands of a skilled player, you can embark without any skills and just a log of wood and build a decent fort just fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that instead of arguing over whats "best" so that we can "win" better than anyone else, we all help each other see new and creative idea's that allow us to play the game in a different way. I've not seen one person on these forums claim to be a better DF player than anyone else, I've just seen them say they have more experience, or that they've come across said problem before and then listed how they overcame it.

I personally believe that the "Losing is fun" mentality that all DF players have is ultimately what sets this community apart from all others.

Now if you'll excuse me, my woodcutter just got done with his strange mood, and he's beating all the cats to death with the yellow jasper table he crafted.

Bullshit, I'm obviously the better DF player than you because my woodcutter uses adamantine in his moods and beats elephants to death with the resulting quern while missing an arm and a leg.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, your post sums it up perfectly and I love you guys.

I did have a woodcutter make an adamantine quern though, it was pretty wtf.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 08:14:23 am »

Bay12 is fairly fine. Beware the fanboys, though, they seem more fanatical in here than anywhere else  :o
Really? People make lots of negative comments about DF and noone really goes off on one. I make enough negative comments about the vast numbers of problems the game has.
I vaguely recall some rather vivid discussion in which someone implied that Toady might have to change his modus operandi on some issues. Pages of "DO NOT MAKE DEMANDS OF THE TOADY ONE" followed.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2010, 09:07:08 am »

It's the learning curve.  It's like a rite of passage; we've all had to drag ourselves through a series of hilariously failed forts in order to become megaproject building, elf sacrificing, kitten eating DF players.  Not only does it weed out the weak, as mentioned, it also gives us a shared experience of initiation we can bond over.  We aren't embarrassed to talk about our painful early failures because we all had them... and they're generally hilarious.  This has some unfortunate side effects; we can be self-congratulatory pricks at times.  This thread is one such example -- not that it's stopping me from posting in it.  Thankfully, we generally keep it among ourselves and don't go looking for fights in other forums, so it's a minor problem we could afford to be more conscious of, but don't have to start a crusade over.

Of note is the fact that, while we occasionally tend towards hero worship of Toady, when we do have a bone to pick with him, it's generally constructive criticism -- at worst, it's very whiny criticism, but it never reaches open hostility.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2010, 11:32:15 am »

It's a fairly nice forum, with fairly clever people, buuuut I've got to admit, I find the Paradox forums nicer. Less beating a dead meme, if you catch my drift. Still, this forum is an upgrade from your average forum by far.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2010, 11:49:19 am »

It's a fairly nice forum, with fairly clever people, buuuut I've got to admit, I find the Paradox forums nicer. Less beating a dead meme, if you catch my drift. Still, this forum is an upgrade from your average forum by far.
Only magma can resurrect dead memes!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2010, 11:59:03 am »

Bay12 is fairly fine. Beware the fanboys, though, they seem more fanatical in here than anywhere else  :o
Really? People make lots of negative comments about DF and noone really goes off on one. I make enough negative comments about the vast numbers of problems the game has.
I vaguely recall some rather vivid discussion in which someone implied that Toady might have to change his modus operandi on some issues. Pages of "DO NOT MAKE DEMANDS OF THE TOADY ONE" followed.

In the 0.31.14 release thread I made the mistake of suggesting that it might help us test the new features if some of the insanely long list of bugs in the tracker were fixed. Apologists & fanboys poured out of the walls.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2010, 12:44:03 pm »

Of course maybe still thinking it's good after that makes me a fanboy too....
While DF is amazingly subject to total abuse, any time someone even HINTS at insulting Toady sparks fly crazy much. You got a complaint that the new version isn't coming out fast enough? be prepared for 2 pages of hatred to appear on your screen. In retrospect, It's not so much as fanboyism to the game as it is fanboyism to Toady, I guess.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2010, 12:46:07 pm »

Yeah even if you do things like mod tits into the game you just get praise.
Well, to be fair many internet "communities" would applaud such an endeavour...
I'd clap.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2010, 01:33:41 pm »

Yeah even if you do things like mod tits into the game you just get praise.

Well, to be fair many internet "communities" would applaud such an endeavour...

I didn't think there would be so much appreciation for the Paridae family......

Oh. Oh you're good.

I also seem to recall there was quite a bit of hullabaloo when that guy made his DF copycat game a few months back and gt banned for it. That led to the most vicious fights I've ever seen on this forum.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2010, 01:36:50 pm »

That khazad business was still pretty tame.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:40 pm »

In the 0.31.14 release thread I made the mistake of suggesting that it might help us test the new features if some of the insanely long list of bugs in the tracker were fixed. Apologists & fanboys poured out of the walls.
I feel your pain.

Another thing I somewhat can't get myself to like here in B12 is that there's so many obsessively complex and/or massive megaprojects around that the small things are often kind of ignored. Also, in a similar vein, there's just so many players talking about what they do in their games, there's just not enough attention going around to react to all posts as they would perhaps deserve.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2010, 06:23:39 pm »

This is one of 2 forums I frequent (aside from occasional jaunts to 4chan - my misanthropy needs to go somewhere, right?), the other being xkcd. A few of the more debate-oriented subforums get flamewars and the like, but the others are great. some great people there (and lots of highly competent mods).

As an aside, I'm curious. How many of you frequent the higher and lower forums?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2010, 09:59:51 pm »

Don't take this the wrong way, but you've managed to insert a comment on your feelings about this issue into how many threads lately? That's probably not helping your case.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2010, 02:54:44 pm »

Yeah ditto.  What the hell was this:
It'd be nice to embark somewhere you wouldn't have to worry about the myriad of bugs in DF. Shame that'll never happen.
doing in the "Where on Earth would you embark?" thread?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2010, 06:46:21 pm »

We're bitter about having our games ruined by bugs! What's more justified for a fan to feel bitter about?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8