Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: So much nicer here.  (Read 28477 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: So much nicer here.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 01:04:25 pm »

There might have been a couple on the lower forums.
And I heard a goblin camp thread got deleted because of flames flying high.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 02:12:10 pm »

Every time Scott puts a new comic on VGCats, you can bet that a good three quarters are going to bash it, on its own forums.
Here every update by Toady is followed by cries of "Praise the Toady One!"

Nobody criticizes the newbies about their posts, and everyone is civil about almost everything.
Truly, this is the forum holy land.  8)

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »

Ya'll know you're jinxing it, right?  :P

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 02:33:00 pm »

Ya'll know you're jinxing it, right?  :P
yeah, i had another thread tabbed open and they were hating on some troll named motorbitch in it

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 02:49:00 pm »

Every time Scott puts a new comic on VGCats, you can bet that a good three quarters are going to bash it, on its own forums.
Here every update by Toady is followed by cries of "Praise the Toady One!"

Nobody criticizes the newbies about their posts, and everyone is civil about almost everything.
Truly, this is the forum holy land.  8)

Ok there are some themes that are exceptions (Gay dwarves, furrys etc.) but everything else seems pretty tame and i like that.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 02:49:41 pm »

Once every month or two I see either a series of posts that gets deleted by Toady, or a Toady post complaining about a series of deletions he had to make that I missed. So flame wars do happen, but they're not common. Mostly on the Suggestions forum or in the FotF thread.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 02:52:34 pm »

so far i didnt notice flaming on Fot and it s one of the threads i check regulary whathappens though are some more lengthy discussion with ecstatic people  ;)
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 03:07:15 pm »

No, YOUR MOM is.. oh wait I did that one already.

It's a matter of perspective. As a veteran of forums ranging from "standard teenage gamer fights" to "hard flamewar central" (we're talking about six-paragraph essays on how much of a prat the other guy is, involving detailed descriptions of nonconsensual sodomy with foreign objects, the Hindu caste system, and the difference between 'idiot', 'imbecile', and 'moron') to places where the participants really would kill each other IRL given the chance, this place is fairly civilized and I find myself needing to stuff war-mode back into its box from time to time.

The fact that Toady bans for fights and not much else helps a lot.

It's not all praise; people do bitch, and I'm one of them, but most real complaints are of the long-standing bugs (soap, clothes, contaminants, where the hell's the dungeon master...) so we don't get the kind of "it's badly flawed" "no it's perfect" you see on, say, Xbox forums.

Also the dwarf-related boards seem to be nicer than the general-discussion boards. Hard to have arguments in between goblin grinders and noble magma pits.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:20 pm »

It's a matter of perspective. As a veteran of forums ranging from "standard teenage gamer fights" to "hard flamewar central" (we're talking about six-paragraph essays on how much of a prat the other guy is, involving detailed descriptions of nonconsensual sodomy with foreign objects, the Hindu caste system, and the difference between 'idiot', 'imbecile', and 'moron') to places where the participants really would kill each other IRL given the chance, this place is fairly civilized and I find myself needing to stuff war-mode back into its box from time to time.

It's not all praise; people do bitch, and I'm one of them, but most real complaints are of the long-standing bugs (soap, clothes, contaminants, where the hell's the dungeon master...) so we don't get the kind of "it's badly flawed" "no it's perfect" you see on, say, Xbox forums.

Also the dwarf-related boards seem to be nicer than the general-discussion boards. Hard to have arguments in between goblin grinders and noble magma pits.

I think it might actually be because we all have a common enemy: The ones in DF.

And thus we discuss the merits of dealing with them

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 04:06:20 pm »

I think it might actually be because we all have a common enemy: The ones in DF.

You mean Dwarves, right?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 04:08:26 pm »

Why yes, I am very attractive.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 04:23:44 pm »

You mean Dwarves, right?

Whatever happens to be your enemy in DF, good sir.

Binamrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 04:29:19 pm »

The only thread that I've seen here that could be classified as a flamewar derailed into people posting ascii-art of cheese after a few pages.

The culture of rampant absurd silliness that this forum seemingly has developed probably mostly stops those kinds of things from occurring.
Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 04:34:46 pm »

On the other hand, most other forums don't feature incessant back-patting about how smart and superior they are.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 05:08:20 pm »

edit:  Nevermind,  I said something snarky in a thread about how nice it is around here, how classy of me.  :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8