Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: QuickFort Assist -- Initial Release  (Read 10385 times)

eX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
QuickFort Assist -- Initial Release
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:25:24 am »

Hey guys, this is my first release of the app. If you have any comments, suggestions, etc. Please let me know, especially interface design.  It is written in Silverlight, so if you don't have it get it at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=149156  Linux users, you should be able to use Moonlight (please test if you can) http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

QuickFort Assist URL: http://www.hosema.com/quickfort/

Thanks guys!

My ultimate goal is to be able to share designs, quickly with all QuickFort users.

Current Features
  • Import/Export CSV
  • Hotkeys (I'll make a list later)
  • Adjustable rows/columns
  • Unpretty graphics

Future features:
  • Automatically remove excess commas in export.
  • Allow for preset starting points (center, top left, top center, bottom right, etc)
  • multiple Z levels
  • better interface
  • code cleaning

Much later features:
  • save designs to online database by username
  • design repository
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:28:13 pm by eX »

eX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: QuickFort Assist -- Initial Release
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:08:19 am »

I'm noticing that people are viewing this, but not replying.  Is there any particular reason why?  Perhaps that it requires Silverlight?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:19:00 am »

I tried to go to the site but WOT complains that it has poor ratings. Seems the domain you inherit from (comoj.com) has poor ratings so they effect you.

Also I don't actually have silverlight so I couldn't have played with it anyway, but that I expected. I give you points for the concept though :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

eX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:31:04 am »

I tried to go to the site but WOT complains that it has poor ratings. Seems the domain you inherit from (comoj.com) has poor ratings so they effect you.

Also I don't actually have silverlight so I couldn't have played with it anyway, but that I expected. I give you points for the concept though :)

Thank you for letting me know that Comoj.com has poor ratings per WOT, I did not know that.  They were just a free host that I found.  I'll find a new host. 
Regardless of host, do have any particular aversion to installing Silverlight?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:39 am »

Regardless of host, do have any particular aversion to installing Silverlight?

Only the standard each thing I had makes firefox seem slower and slower (although some of that is probably just me). I'll give it a go once I'm home and leave my work machine clean of such things.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

eX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:20:05 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately some of my goals for the software requires Silverlight.  I uploaded the app to a new host, under my own domain: http://www.hosema.com/quickfort/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:08:11 pm by eX »

aslambilal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 03:53:33 pm »

First of all, i want to say thanks, awesome tool :)

Second, i have a suggestion, perhaps add a tool to "stamp" designs. Like if i want to create housing for dwarfs, i dont want to draw out every single room when i'm making 20. I want 1 click to make a 3x3 square or w/e per click.

Just a suggestion. I'll be using this a lot, i hate having to pause to dig lol.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 06:36:37 pm »

I cant get it to do... anything... i even tried the usual solution, clicking everything, and couldnt get it to do anything... Im using opera with silverlight installed

eX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:50:19 am »

Sorry for late reply, I was traveling in San Francisco for a few days.

I cant get it to do... anything... i even tried the usual solution, clicking everything, and couldnt get it to do anything... Im using opera with silverlight installed

I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles.  I did install Opera and ran as intended.  The only recommendation I can give is to uninstall Silverlight, restart, then reinstall Silverlight.  Also, this uses the latest version of Silverlight (4), so maybe it might be an old version?  I hope to release an offline version in the very near future, so hopefully that will have less issues with compatibility.

First of all, i want to say thanks, awesome tool :)

Second, i have a suggestion, perhaps add a tool to "stamp" designs. Like if i want to create housing for dwarfs, i dont want to draw out every single room when i'm making 20. I want 1 click to make a 3x3 square or w/e per click.

Just a suggestion. I'll be using this a lot, i hate having to pause to dig lol.

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment and what a great idea!  I love it, perhaps premade stamps as well as custom stamps...  I'll definitely add this feature in.

I really want to update the interface a lot more in the next release, so any new features will have to wait just a bit.  Please don't hesitate to send me ideas on what you think could make it better, especially with the interface.

negorath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 01:23:42 pm »

Looks promising :) Would be nice if you could add tools that allow you to make designations in various shapes, like circles for example!

eX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:41:08 pm »

Looks promising :) Would be nice if you could add tools that allow you to make designations in various shapes, like circles for example!

That's definitely doable, and something I've certainly considered.  So expect it in the following week or two.