Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why did a ghost migrate to my fort?  (Read 2261 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Why did a ghost migrate to my fort?
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:00:42 am »

I know this has been seen before, I just can't find it.

Wave 3 comes along to my newly genned, never before had a fort ever world.  I have a useless bastard who I can give a pick and tell to swing at the side of a volcano to fuel my magma forges. He does so, and promptly melts. A few months later, a Ghostly Sacrifice Miner starts haunting the hole in the volcano. I promptly start laughing, and consider this a feature in my fort.

Three migration waves pass, and then...

Obviously, something is not right here.

Any explanations? Is my ghost just so well-organized and imaginative that he decided to add his ghost to Dwarf Therapist? Did I sacrifice the wrong useless bastard? What hell?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:03:51 am by Ross Vernal »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why did a ghost migrate to my fort?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:35 am »

... You have a captured werebeast and a marked-missing ghostly miner... Where's the mystery?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:08:19 am »

I've... never had someone who was part of Wave 3 die and then join Wave 6 two years after he has already died?

o.O

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:19:18 am »

Ya, been trying to edit my post to say I just noticed that, but it wouldn't let me post it for some reason :p

Eh, I've had therapist lump an entire years worth of migrants into a single wave. Don't know how accurate that is.

But if you left him as a ghost, there's only one ghost on that curses-check, so that should be him. Toady said he fixed ghost migrants.

Oh, do a little searching, you don't have to sacrifice anyone to tap magma ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:32:28 am »

I'll just assume that DT hasn't had enough alcohol to drink.

Sure, I could NOT sacrifice someone, but I found it more convenient than trying to worry about such things as worker safety.

My fort is not OSHA compliant.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »

I know this has been seen before, I just can't find it.

Wave 3 comes along to my newly genned, never before had a fort ever world.  I have a useless bastard who I can give a pick and tell to swing at the side of a volcano to fuel my magma forges. He does so, and promptly melts. A few months later, a Ghostly Sacrifice Miner starts haunting the hole in the volcano. I promptly start laughing, and consider this a feature in my fort.

Three migration waves pass, and then...

Obviously, something is not right here.

Any explanations? Is my ghost just so well-organized and imaginative that he decided to add his ghost to Dwarf Therapist? Did I sacrifice the wrong useless bastard? What hell?

he migrated because he was from a parallel universe and teleported 20 miles from the fortress and was lonely.
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:08:41 pm »

Interesting that he is Adil Boatfought in DF but DT interprets it as Adil Boatfight. My first thought was that they were different historical figs with the same name, but the Dabbling Miner status and 16 extra points in Swimmer (presumably accrued in the magma dip) definitely indicates that they're the same person. I guess this indicates that DT reconstructs names from their semantic components; word tenses are all represented by the same word in the dwarf language, so you can recover the root but the tense and/singular/plural status will be a crapshoot.