Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Shortest Lived Forts  (Read 42965 times)

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest Lived Forts
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2012, 11:19:18 pm »

My dwarfs wagon started a few squares away from a shrine devoted to a giant feathered crocodilian titan, with deadly poison. I think the dwarfs lasted about 2 minutes (credit were credit's due one of my miners did kill it before dying from the poison)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2012, 08:38:52 am »

THE SEVEN arrived at the embark destination. I designated a stairway straight down right next to the waggon, and off to work went Urist McMiner with his pick. Expecting him to hit either a cave layer or warm stone, I just entered away the requester that said "Raw adamantinek, praise the miners", and the FUN started.
Oh my luck. Missing all three cave layers and hitting a circus tent pole on the first dig.
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2012, 06:50:52 pm »

Oh deer.
Deer manage to be an even greater nuisance to me than elephants (in their own biomes, that is). A deer managed to slip inside one of my fortresses and into my magma industry halls once and stalled all production for a season or more. Also managed to wound some dwarves when they bumped into it. An elephant slipped into another fort, and ran away to a long backup tunnel (instead of goring everyone once cornered, as I expected).
I read your deer, and I raise you llamas.
I've had goblin thieves less dangerous than them.

I'll call your llama and raise you walruses. Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.
i laughed my vocal chords to  near on destruction. i thank you, sirs, this is going in my sig
edit: curse you, signature limit!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:16:26 pm by AfroScotsDwarf »
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2012, 07:09:54 pm »

My first fortress:  Abandoned around a minute in, saying, "I don't know what's going on!"

My fourth fortress:  Embarked on a haunted forest.  Undead harpies kill 4, my woodcutter takes an axe to the rest. 

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2012, 11:13:37 am »

I embarked on a Terrifying biome, and was beset rather quickly by Giant Thrips Zombies. They chased my dwarves around and made it impossible to do anything so I just had to wait till my dwarves starved/died.

I decided to reclaim with 7 axedwarves (all were proficient in Axes and Fighting) and 7 copper battle axes. When I got there, the thrips were there, along with a giant grasshopper zombie. I told the axedwarves to equip the axes and take the grasshopper on.

So, in typical dwarven stupidity idiocy logic, they didn't equip the axes and tried wrestling it. You can guess how that went.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:15 am »

On my first fortress I'd put in about a season's work and wanted to save+quit.
I couldn't see the option and assumed it was abandon, being where quit is on the title page.

My smarts are unmatched.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Binary Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • The duality of sliced bread.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:49 pm »

T'was way back when I was still learning the finer points in play, I had just started a new fortress. It was a river canyon, with a fair number of trees I recall. I forget why, but I wanted my enterance to be down towards the river, so I told my miners to start digging, and my woodcutter to start chopping.
Moments later, the alligator had killed two miners, and chased the third into the tunnel he was digging.
With four dwarves, one axe between them, and an alligator sitting on my picks... abandon seemed a good choice.
"...After all, games aren't going to be in the hotseat forever. Comic books, rap lyrics, jazz, metal, violent saturday morning cartoons, and Elvis' hips, have all had their turn in the spotlight as the force corrupting society's young." Extra Credits

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2012, 12:59:50 pm »

I did some slight modding, and I embarked in a terrifying forest. Hoping to bring the fight to the undead, I embarked with 90 peasants, and have a few custom reactions to create slade warhammers, and candy swords.

I unpasue and the rain causes such severe blistering that after 2 minutes all 90 dwarves die of suffocation.
I've never seen so much death so fast.

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2012, 01:16:51 pm »

first time trying to deal with the new evil rains and such gave me a rain of filth that knocked Dwarves out. first rain started almost immediately after unpausing after which a lone zombie rattlesnake went around and killed each one in its own time. so i guess not super fast in terms of time but still they all died before i got a chance to take basically any action.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2012, 01:20:47 pm »

Don't think I've ever got past the first year with any of my 50-odd forts :/
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Theonefreerunner

• Bay Watcher
  • The one who runs free
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2012, 01:21:16 pm »

I once embarked in a scorching biome, not much happened. Miners managed to carve a nice entrance hall before everything melted. Dwarf goo everywhere. The re-embark team managed to carve a little more before melting. Time for another re-embark!

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:46 pm »

I embarked on a frozen volcano.  It was so cold that the supplies and wagon I brought were instantly destroyed by the cold. ALL OF THE SUPPLIES.

I made my miner dig into the side of the volcano and had everyone go inside for warmth (Though about two froze to death outside)

With no food or water and no source of either, my dwarves withered away in the cave, dying off one-by-one...
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »

Evil embark
Zombie Sea Serpent
You know the rest of story
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »

Spawned in a Terrifying jungle.

First thing I notice is that half my dwarfs are Musk thralls...... Including all the miners and the one woodcutter

I hadn't even unpaused yet.....

The reclaim was worse....
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."

stven275

• Bay Watcher
  • What do i put here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:47 pm »

I once embarked with a clear goal in mind, get to the circus as fast as possible.

Yeah that "Fort" was pretty short lived.
"I don't have time to jusify myself to your viewers.(dances in pink armor)"
-YouTube comment 2012
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15