Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Watery Diversity II (Continuation of Barbarossa the Seal God's thread)  (Read 8807 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Watery Diversity II (Continuation of Barbarossa the Seal God's thread)
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 12:54:42 pm »

I'd like to see fresh water dolphins and whales, at least in the largest of lakes and rivers.

I'd like to see more whale/dolphin variety in general. River dolphins could be one of the new species for sure. Some of the more intelligent species should even by trainable. So if underwater pathfinding and mounted units are added I'd like to be able to hunt sharks on a Hunting Orca, or better yet a Hunting Sperm Whale.

I mean come on why do sharks get all the variety loving from Toady? ;p

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 06:53:54 pm »

Ugh the Ark project (moding section) has tried to introduce these critters iirc but Df couldnt handle the sheer amount of Animals.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 01:41:43 am »

Ugh the Ark project (moding section) has tried to introduce these critters iirc but Df couldnt handle the sheer amount of Animals.
According to the wiki (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Shark) there are 13 types of shark. Even if the game can only handle so many critters, perhaps it would be for the best to cut some of these out of the game to make room for more diversity. I love sharks as much as the next guy, but do we realy need both longfinned and shortfinned Makos?

On a related note Bull Sharks can live in rivers and lakes that connect to the ocean in real life. They should do this in DF as for the sake of realism and so that no poor fortress overseer is forced to choose between having fresh water on embark and having sharks in their drowning chamber.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 01:48:45 pm »

Actually, if I recall correctly the problem the ark guys came accross was that the game picks ten creatures per biome each time it generates a new world.

So in the wild, you would not be able to see the 100+ creatures that the ark projects was cobbeling together.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 02:40:54 pm »

It sounds like upcoming developments will change that. New biomes will include anything which lives in that range- or something like that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

paladin_of_light

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 12:41:42 pm »

Someone earlier mentioned sea snails (and poison). Some varieties of sea snails produce mucus that can be made into purple dye using a rather complex process using sea salt, and potash. Tyrian Purple was incredibly expensive stuff back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 12:31:27 pm »

Stonefish aquariums as sort of punji-pit traps. I'd hate to be the sucker goblin that steps on it :X

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 12:18:07 am »

I would like a little empathy for modders, and there desires.
That is, if you mod your race to be aquatic, then embarks over land would be forbidden, only over water, and of course construction under water would be allowed for an aquatic race.

An amphibious race, however, would have it all.

This might take a little effort, and wouldn't really help vanilla, so it goes to the maybe pile.

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 07:53:40 pm »

So the tough thing about this thread is sometimes its history has all the cool stuff covered. The fun thing about it is when you do find something cool, there's always some people to talk to about it.

So giant turtles, and giant mollusks. At least in the case of turtles there are myths that deal with islands forming on their backs, and in a few cases giant mollusk shells forming houses or other structures. There are some obvious difficulties with this idea including how you attach a large structure to a creature, and having moving structures, but I still think its a fun idea.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 04:45:46 am »

We could have dwarves bathe in the hot springs too, or even have elves and human come from all around to do so, which would fit in nicely with a lot of other suggestions which include travelers.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2011, 09:22:52 am »

Giant ammonites would be Fun... Sea Monsters with armour on.

Speaking of shells: Abalone are nutritious, delicious, and expensive. Their (large) shells are even more valuable, for carving purposes, and are extremely tough as well--much moreso than almost all other shells, war ammonites notwithstanding . They'd make for a very nice resource, and you might even be able to cobble together some quite decent armour from them. Bucklers too, perhaps.

And, suppose you filled two of them with lead, and put a handle on? Under the current version, you'd have a powerful mace.
For they would be your masters.

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 05:28:46 am »

This thread is quite old, but the rules say to post here if I have a new suggestion for this, so...
    I initially wrote this as its own thread (hence the length, and some of the redundancy with things previously proposed here) before deciding to post it here.

HABITATS / STRUCTURES

There are quite a few possibilities for natural aquatic structures.
  • Coral reefs: Diverse marine ecosystems, covered with corals and teeming with wildlife.
  • Estuaries: A partly enclosed body of brackish water, freely connected to the sea.
  • Hot springs: Bodies of water that are warm enough to go without freezing, providing comforting warmth to your dwarves. Few animals can survive in such conditions, however.
  • Hydrothermal vents: Found at the bottom of the ocean, hydrothermal vents provide much needed nutrition to the animals living this deep.
  • Icebergs: Large chunks of ice, broken off of glaciers or ice shelves. An infamously dangerous obstacle to ships.
  • Kelp forests: Massive underwater structures, filled with kelp, and many organisms that feed off of it.
  • Lagoons: Shallow bodies of water cut off from larger ones by islands or reefs.
  • Mangrove coastlines: Mangrove swamps already exist in Dwarf Fortress, yes, but they can be expanded on. Such areas would be full of both aquatic and terrestrial life.
  • Marine caves: Caves found in the ocean, whether at the surface or far deeper, leading into the caverns. The aquatic animals found in the caverns would flourish and exist closer to the surface in such areas.
  • Seagrass meadows: Seagrasses grow in marine environments, providing habitats for many aquatic animals, and food for many others, such as manatees, dugongs, turtles and crabs.
  • Shipwrecks: Not all boats have smooth sailing. Many sink deep beneath the waves, or are dashed up against the coasts. Such shipwrecks would be overtaken by marine life... or, perhaps, the crew doesn't know quite how to die.
  • Trenches: The deepest reaches of the sea, reaching down all the way to the innards of the world. Despite this, trenches are teeming with life. Some may reach a bit too deep, however...

EXPANDED AQUATIC LIFE

Both mundane...
  • Dolphins: Famous for its intelligence and curiosity, the bottlenose dolphin is a brutally efficient pack hunter. River dolphins are found in freshwater, while other dolphins are found in all sorts of oceans - including the infamous orca.
  • The King Crab: A large marine crustacean, found in the arctic ocean.
  • The Man o'war: A large cnidarian creature that closely resembles a jellyfish. It delivers a painful sting.
  • The Megalodon: The largest predatory animal of all time - a shark of unparalleled size and ferocity.
  • Rorquals: The largest animals to have ever lived - great marine mammals that filter plankton and other small animals into their mouths. Humpback whales breach the water majestically, while the immense blue whale swims peacefully.
  • Sea turtles: Venturing on land only to lay their eggs, sea turtles are graceful marine mammals found the world over. There are various types, too - green sea turtles and leatherback sea turtles are just two of many.
  • Sirenians: Manatees, dugongs, and sea cows. Peaceful marine mammals that graze in mangrove swamps and seagrass meadows.
  • Among many other interesting options!
... and fanciful.
  • Kraken: Gigantic marine monsters, neither squid nor crab, but something in between. They use their tentacles to pluck sailors from boats and either drown them or crush them within their pincers.
  • Leviathans: The forgotten beasts of the sea; brutal, massive monsters that lay siege to coastal towns and devastate boats, with some being powerful enough to cause tsunamis when they surface.
  • Merrow: Not all merfolk are friendly. Merrow are vicious marine predators that hunt in groups, terrorizing coastal villages and slaughtering the crews of whatever boats dare infringe on their territory.
  • Sirens: Mysterious women that call out to sailors with their lovely song, drawing them off of ships and to a watery grave.

DEPTH LEVELS AND OCEAN ZONES

The ocean is a very large place, with all kinds of different organisms living at all sorts of depth levels. At the surface, or hundreds of miles below. As it is now, ocean life Dwarf Fortress exists at all levels with no real inclination to any depth, while the ocean itself isn't particularly deep.

Basically - each oceanic creature and/or plant would be found at various depths in the ocean. (Kind of like the different cavern layers.) Some are found near the surface; others are found only in the deepest reaches. Of course, the surface animals would be seen the most - the ones that live deeper would be far more rare and reclusive.

The deepest parts of the sea are dark, with no light, being much like the caverns in that respect, while the creatures found in these locations are just as unnatural and alien as they are on Earth. Giant squids, sperm whales, goblin sharks... and even deeper, vampire squids, blobfish and anglerfish.

Some marine animals are found near the coast, while others live far into the ocean. Coastal and more open areas would have vastly different populations of animals.

EXPLORING THE OCEAN

In Fortress Mode, harbors could be set up and boats constructed. Using these boats, one could catch smaller fish en masse, and even attempt to catch the larger aquatic animals. Others could be armed to defend the coastlines from aquatic invaders, whether they be megabeasts or merrow. With the army arc, ships could be sent abroad, for trade, military, or just to get more fishing done. Of course, a ship would need a crew - beds, cooks, a militia, and a captain.

In Adventure Mode, ships could be used to travel the oceans. On occasion, they could be attacked - by merrow, military ships, marine megabeasts, or pirates. Pirates would be a threat even in Fortress Mode, striking out from the waves to steal supplies, slaughtering dwarves in the process. Another threat are the ghostly ships, with skeleton crews. Of course, you could always join the ranks of the pirates, or the undead...

[/list]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:30:30 am by Souleater17 »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2015, 12:07:15 am »

I'd be happy if the waves along the coastlines deposited oceanic resources like kelp and seashells, historically that's how most of that stuff was gathered before the invention of diving gear.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2015, 02:00:14 am »

We sort of already have monsters akin to the Kraken.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 11:17:52 am »

I guess some of this stuff could get in once we get ships and sailing.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 2 [3]