Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Forgotten beast taken down by cigar chomping epic sniper.  (Read 5435 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beast taken down by cigar chomping epic sniper.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 01:49:14 pm »

I once had a amphibianman in the caverns beneath my fortress (I'd sealed off the caverns because they were apparently full of forgotten beasts) who was locked in a three year duel with a forgotten beast.  Two other FB's had wandered into him during that time and he'd killed both of them, earning his black cap spear and shield names.

The best part of it was the FB he was fighting against was ravening, so every once in a while I would get messages of "FB has become enraged!" and the sounds of their epic struggle echoed throughout the fortress.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 02:10:35 pm »

Had a Forgotten Beast AND a Titan arrive at the same time.

FB was a quadruped made of Clear Glass that had poison breath. Titan was a humanoid made of Alder that could fly.

Forest Titan flaps around and spends an entire season killing a limestone Hatch.

Was really concerned about the FB, because poison breath can be nasty.

Titan encounters my Hammerlord who immediately breaks its legs. Then its arms... then its fingers... then its toes... Poor bastard. Was 3 full pages of "Hammerlord strikes Titan's X, shattering the bone" before he finally crushed its skull.

FB wandered into one of my two cave-in traps. They weren't kidding then they said cave-ins kill anything.

I have lost more dwarves to mining injuries than FB's/Titans.

Salamandangerous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 04:32:03 pm »

Had my first titan show up yesterday. "Oh fuck a giant eyeless horse with a knobby shell!! SEND OUT ALL LEGIONS!!" (legions meaning twenty odd recruits without proper training or equipment.) well the horse waltzes right past my trap corridor and starts biting the kitten screen I have set up to spot snatchers. For two entire pages of battle log the kitten lived, two pages full of "the titan Atu Ota Mottrath bites the cat child in the left toe shattering the bone!" the kitten died of course but not before bruising the belly fat and leg muscle of the beast, he also stalled it long enough for my militia to hack it to death.
I shall never forget your brave sacrifice cat child.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 05:28:12 pm »

As I mentioned in another topic I once had (yes had... I accidently flooded my fortress with magma) a really epic war dog in my fortress.

He and 3 of his fellows entered the danger room when my dwarves wanted to train. Not knowing how to get rid of the stupid dogs I ordered to pull the lever (repeatetly). His fellow dogs died quickly, one got his brain pearced, other one his heart and both his lungs (suffocated) and the last one bleed to death. Had his internal organs and pretty much every bone in his body damaged, but he survived. After that he regenerated (everything. that's just what dogs do) and he was in the danger room 3-4 times since that "event" (he had no problems with it when he repeated the "test").

Few seasons later I got attacked by a goblin ambush (2 of them to be more exact). I sent my small military (6 dwarves at the time) to deal with the annoyance and sadly one of them (my militia commander) died. Now willing to risk any more casualties I sent my dwarves back to the fortress (unassigned them from the military, being a civilian means they RUN from goblins). But the dog stayed. He was standing next to the corpse of his fallen master and I thought he's done for.

I was wrong

He killed 5 goblins himself and when he was done with them he went chasing after the other group that was reaching him at the time. They didn't even bother shooting bolts at him. When they saw what happened they just RAN. Sadly he didn't catch the rest of them but still he had higher kill list than any of my soldiers :>.
In the battle he lost both his ears, one eye and his toe. No less, no more...

Afterwards I kept him in the military barracks (on a restraint) not wanting him to get harmed. ;).
Sadly no other war dog passed the "danger room" test ever again in my fortress. He was an epic unit (sheds a single tear).
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 06:06:56 pm »

Afterwards I kept him in the military barracks (on a restraint) not wanting him to get harmed. ;).

Could you please drop him into HFS and tell us what happens?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 06:17:03 pm »

I once had (yes had... I accidently flooded my fortress with magma)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 06:17:18 pm »

Horrifying barks come from the fortress above!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 06:23:43 pm »

Dwarves in the cavern!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 06:30:10 pm »

Dwarves in the cavern!
You have struck raw {spoliermetal}! Praise the... oh wait, that's the crap that's keeping you down here. Sucks for you.

Here, have some *slade biscuits* as recompense.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 06:57:36 pm »

I have a nice bad ass dwarf in my fort too.

Around my second year, the time i got steel production up and running, i decided a military force was way overdue. My first 5 dwarf squad (the Oily Elbows  :-\) Where send to train in the barracks, armed with the few steel weapons and armour that had been forged thus far.

Move on a month or so, and the military force is just about competent and well armored enough to fight off an ambush or 2, thought a few are still missing gauntlets and boots. Soon, the first goblin ambush comes, one squad, with mixed units in it. As always, i thought my fortress was secure, but i had neglected a back passage, which the goblins ran straight towards. The military was alerted, but they where still no too skilled, and with their heavy Armour weighing them down, it was clear the goblins where gonna get there first.

Not so fast though, One of the hammer dwarfs (named hatches because he loves them, apparently) seems much faster than the others! There he goes, outpacing his squad and zooming to take on the goblins.. all by himself, uh oh!  ::)

He arrives, and promptly bashes the goblin pike man (who had been busy stabbing a fisher-dwarf in the stomach) in the leg, just causing a bruise. Said pike man is obviously more skilled though, counterstriking and stabbing hatch in the eyelid, luckily just tearing it. (This would leave an awesome large jagged scar over his left eyelid in his descriptions after it healed.)

Hatch doesn't care though, just keeps fighting, smashing the goblins weapon hand and making him drop it. At this point, the rest of the squad is still a z level below, trying to catch up. Up comes the next goblin, coming to help the pikeman out, brandishing his bronze scimitar furiously. Swoosh! one decent swing, and hatch's left hand sails off, landing on the floor a few tiles away from him.

He gasps in pain and surprise, his shield clattering on the floor, blood spurting from the wound, the goblin looming over him, ready for the next swing. I feel like this is the end for poor, brave hatch.. But hatch has other ideas. Picking up his dropped shield in the same (and only) hand he is carrying his war hammer with, he smashes the goblins skull into his brain with a hefty swing.  hes getting paler though, and hes still in immense pain.. Hang on hatch, the rest of the guys are nearly here! He blocks the other goblins attacks, getting weaker by the second, not even able to strike back.

The other guys are here! hang on Hatch! The other militia members rush in, and hatch falls to the back of the group, still weak and pale. He doesn't fight, but he still waits until every last goblin is dead before wandering with his last ounce of strength to a hospital bed and collapsing.

The doctor rushes to the scene, and operates, bandages and sutures, but the hand is of course forever gone. I wonder if hatch will become an invalid, forever stuck in his bed in a locked in state, dreaming of past glory. Nah, fuck that! He thinks, and promptly gets up month later, still rather pale, equips himself, and continues to spar and serve in the military.

Years on, he is legendary, and the most militarily skilled dwarf in the fort, with the most kills. He wields his weapon and shield in his only hand, and is adorned in the finest adamantine armour. In his time off, he likes to gather the  children around him in the meeting hall, show them his scars, and tell them of his many battles and victories.

I love you, Hatches Tadducim.

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

EnnPeeCee

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitten Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 09:57:55 pm »

In 40d a dragon decided to stop by the backdoor of my fort.  It broke down the door and turned a corner to see a single unarmed dwarf leaping towards it.  The brave dwarf ripped the dragon's arm off and proceeded to beat it to death with it.  The rest of the military arrived a few minutes later.

Same fort also had a Titan stop by near the same entrance.  It was already missing a leg so it crawled towards the fort slowly, passing out every once and a while.  Having plenty of time to react, the military waited around on the battlements for it to get in crossbow range.  Just as it was getting close enough, it sprung a goblin ambush and was torn to shreds.

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 10:27:49 pm »

I have two related stories, first when I breach clownland I managed to wall of the spire, which contained a fortification and many stairs leading into the 3rd cavern. Within the year the clowns were sealed in the cavern leaving me free to exploit the spire. Before all the holes were patched I got the message "urist whatever canceles dirnk: interupted by clown of steam". I look at the olny possible stock pile this could have happend at and found a lye maker and a marksdwarf, no clown. After a few minutes of searching and head scratching I found a clown of steam corps, I checked my combat reports, apparently it was killed by the marksdwarf's leather shield ON THE FIRST STRIKE!.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »

Moments like these are why I play DF!  Long ago, when I was still new to the game, a megabeast showed up immediately after a gobbo ambush.  A swordsman by the name of Adil Bootmirrors was left behind and was attacked by the monster. I scrambled the military again, but they took FOREVER to get their act together!  They surrounded the beast but refused to attack.  I couldn't find Adil anywhere and feared the worst.  Then, surprise, surprise, I located him alive and well in the U" menu and zoomed in.  He was back at home!  While his lazy buddies were taking their sweet time he had already killed the thing and the rest of the soldiers were surrounding a dead body!  Adil had dodged the monster's opening charge, causing the beast to fall.  He then got lucky and stabbed it in the head, killing it with a single strike!  Good work, Adil Bootmirrors of the Crazed Syrup, hero of Greatestbodice!  Still, such a tale pales in comparison to the exploits of Tholtic Kosothuthar the epic sniper and Hatches, the one-armed warrior of the Oily Elbows!

/salute

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 10:46:11 am »

You, sir, made my day.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 12:40:14 pm »

I do remember back in 40d that a dragon came by. He killed one dwarf, sheared off the lower half of another(a permanent invalid who also became mayor repeatedly). Then one of the wrestlers broke its neck. Then killed it. With his bare hands.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3