Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Where on Earth would you embark?  (Read 6808 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Where on Earth would you embark?
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:39:32 pm »

There's stuff like Perfect World that can simulate Earth in DF, but this is for the specific REAL real world, with all its geology and nature and little idiosyncracies intact.  The only thing that's missing is modern-day humans.  Hell, let's make it more interesting:  Worldgen was 200 years ago, and there's quite a few Savage places lurking around.  Good and Evil is wherever you want it to be.  Oh yeah...and no FPS restrictions.

You could pick a nice mountainous spot in the Rockies, but do beware of the skeletal eagles and the goblins that might lurk in the foothills...and of course the South American jungles are full of delicious trees, but the Giant Jaguars would tear you to shreds, and then the elves would find you.  Hawaii might be a good choice for its volcanos, but does it have enough valuable ore...and more importantly, would you get bored with no goblins?  (Surely there's HFS, at least.)  Antarctica is always good for laughs, especially if you like +penguin tallow roasts [20]+.

Me, I think my first instinct would be Yellowstone.  It's probably Untamed Wilds, but there's volcanic activity and rivers.

Bonus points for looking up the ores that are present, and for linking the coordinates on Google Earth!  If you've got a specific mountainside you want to dig into, all the better.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Loreweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where on Earth would you embark?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:50:15 pm »

Pacific Northwest, top of Anderson Pass in the Olympic mountain range.

The temperature is cool but warm in summer, it's on a glacier, there is no aquifer, an abundance of stone and minerals, there are gems, the trees and undergrowth are plentiful. There might be a few megabeasts, yes, it's an ancient untouched forest. Still, the mushrooms are plentiful and the plants are easily identified(mushrooms less so for most, but I'm a studying mycologist). There are hundreds of elk and lovely ravens to listen to. It's not only beautiful, but the streams, brooks and rivers would make for excellent waterwheels and the purity of the water is unmatched. Windmills would also be good, it's quite breezy.

All this and there are most likely elves around, we all know how they are about their old trees. Someone to trade and have fun™ with.
Right there, in this photo. That mountain. STRIKE THE EARTH.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:05:50 pm »

Irchester, Northamptonshire, England. Flux, iron ore (albeit one that's not in DF yet), plenty of trees and probably calm-ish surroundings. Though if I were asked to guess the likely locations of nearby goblin towers, the nearby village of Wollaston would rate quite highly.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:08:16 pm »

The Tora Bora mountain range in Afghanistan.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:13:13 pm »

A deserted island in the Caribbean. I can't resist those. It's always hot, nice and humid, lots of tasty fruits, plenty of fish, everything I could ever want.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »

There's too many americans on this board.

Aaaanyways, I'd go to AUSTRALIA and mine some uranium!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:26:57 pm »

There's too many americans on this board.

Aaaanyways, I'd go to AUSTRALIA and mine some uranium!

Building an atom bomb?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 08:39:36 pm »

No. Grabbing superheavy metal for blunt weaponry.

Also: Dwarvy Mutations!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 08:41:16 pm »

No. Grabbing superheavy metal for blunt weaponry.

Also: Dwarvy Mutations!

Chernobyl type mutations? That would make for an interesting fort.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:12:01 pm »

I'd go to Australia too.

SO MUCH COAL AND IRON ORE
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:22:25 pm »

It'd be nice to embark somewhere you wouldn't have to worry about the myriad of bugs in DF. Shame that'll never happen.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:16 pm »

Id be stuck choosing between the Alps, Norway, The Himalayas or New Zealand

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 10:19:33 pm »

NZ/Australia. I know these places well.
くコ:彡

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 10:23:33 pm »

Right here. RIGHT HERE.

I'll get my water from the caverns.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5