Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Supremacy 1914 Diplomacy-esque Online Game  (Read 4753 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Supremacy 1914 Diplomacy-esque Online Game
« on: October 02, 2010, 06:21:02 pm »

I just realized that this game hasn't been mentioned, but does anyone currently play it? It's browser based (unfortunately) but it's really nothing like a normal browser based game. Basically it starts with a wholly historically inaccurate map of WW1, with every country starting out equal risk-style, where each country is taken by a player and things go from there.
Personally I find it to be a lot like diplomacy except without being playable in one session. Generally things take a while, I think rounds take a month (though I haven't personally completed one yet as I'm still on my first), so it has that touch of making you think about strategies when you're not even playing it.
  It has a sweet intelligence system where you can do anything from delaying production of that tank or intercepting a message between your enemy and your ally giving away your military locations.
  The combat system is generally a case of 1 v 1 meaning everyone suffers high casualties, with top tier forts making the attacker need something like 4 to 1 odds to be equal, so it's often based on outmaneuvering your enemy, making fake attacks, or just throwing troops at your enemy knowing half will die. There are things like artillery and railguns to bombard your enemy from afar and battleships to intercept enemy troop transports and so on.
  Economically there are a bunch of different resources, which  you have to juggle around and often trade on the stock market since you're probably not a self sufficient country. Each province produces a single resource, with some provinces producing twice as much and thus being more valuable and sought after. Additionally, you start building factories (to produce tanks and artillery) and railways (to increase production and movement speed) a few days into the game.
  Overall it's very complex and has this kind of Hearts of Iron+Diplomacy+Risk feel to me with all the best parts thrown together, though I'm not saying it's the best thing ever and it's probably not for everyone. 
Edit: Oh, link http://www.supremacy1914.com

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Supremacy 1914 Diplomacy-esque Online Game
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:12:59 am »

Looks hot, maybe I'll see you there!
Signature goes here.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:42:10 am »

This...could be awesome.  Signing up as RodlenJack.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:46:41 am »

Isn't this a wild coincidence?

I'm wondering if a 3-1 advantage is enough to prevail in the attack
Signature goes here.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 07:32:44 pm »

Interesting! I signed up and am [Bay12]Trafalgard in the game that I ended up in. It installed me as sovereign ruler of Southern USA (Hmm), and I have declared war on the AI-controlled NEWFOUNDLAND for occupying Tennessee and Kentucky! THIS SHALL NOT STAND! (They must hold those by default, because they are entirely landlocked and surrounded by another AI, controlling Central USA, and it is only day 1)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:37:28 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »

Posting to remember site for after work
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:57:45 pm »

30 days into my current round the world is in a state where there are only a few major powers, and it's really intense as I'm about to be attacked at all angles. I think I've done quite well for a first game; I rule the entirety of north africa, while canadian troops are poised to land on my western shores along with american troops.
 I think I can handle it and am prepared, but my only true ally just informed me that the most powerful country in the world is about to hit me in Egypt, plunging the world into war. It appears I'm going to be ultimately defeated, but I refuse to go down without a fight. I haven't had a strategy game make me consider the prospect of a heroic downfall thrilling in quite a long time.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:07:04 pm »

Posting to remember to (eventually) play.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:26:21 am »

I love this game. Haven't played it in months, though. Late game can be goddamn annoying and fun at the same time. People will make up propaganda all over the place, some against you, some against others. Even more annoying if one of your best allies go idle right at the end of the game.

Hey, if you guys are gonna build a B12 clan or something, I'd love to join. Most of the alliances in the game are crap, IMO. I even wrote a "quick" strategy guide for someone else before this.

And unlike Neptune's Pride, a numbers advantage really helps in lowering casualties. Diplomacy is still the way to win, though.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 07:58:43 am »

When it says day in the game, does it mean RL days?  Is it completely turn based or some realtime?

Is there a good wiki?  The Wikia one looks woefully incomplete.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 02:42:20 pm »

When they said slow, they meant slow. I ordered an attack on an adjacent province yesterday, coordinated the forces from three provinces to arrive at the same time, so that I would hit the target province with 27 infantry against its presumably 10, and the arrival time was something like 10 hours away. Apparently, they FAILED MISERABLY, as all but one of them is now dead, and the newspaper says that we have had 26,000 dead and the enemy has had 17,000 dead, meaning that they must have reinforced the province between the time that I declared war and the time that my slow troops arrived at the enemy province.

But mostly the slowness and lack of options (as far as anything other than infantry, or what to build - I've been waiting for a fortress to build for almost a day, and several barracks, and can't build anything else, but the manual indicates that once a fortress is built, some other building becomes available, and once that is built, yet another does, etc, but that those all have resource per day costs, etc etc). Anyways, I don't think I'll keep playing. The length of time between anything interesting happening is even longer than "click next turn 7 times before you actually build anything."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ZoddTheImmortal

• Bay Watcher
  • Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 07:45:51 pm »

They recently changed everything up updated the look, and now you can play on mobile too(I've only played on PC), personally I like the old interface and look, but I recently joined a map a few days ago to try it out, I used to play a couple years ago. Anyone else playing or interested? Probably not lol, but just curious. We could try to make and alliance and join one of those 500 player maps and help each other :P heh.