Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World gen results in two titans fighting it out in my fort.  (Read 4305 times)

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World gen results in two titans fighting it out in my fort.
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:52:30 pm »

Sorry no pics, it was completely unexpected and all happened rather quickly... but here is the skinny...

Monitor brute law-giver, Ilu Ayiticuquimo.- A great skinless monitor twisted into humanoid form.  It appears to be emaciated.  Beware its poisonous vapors! 
The heroic creature of legend, who tricked the human civilization into elevating him to position of law-giver.  Despite my fears and the stories of rampaging demons who gleefully take the guise of diplomats and incite war, he dutifully watched my Mayor as he slept waiting to engage him in traditional blurry-eyed trade negotiations.

vs.

The desert titan Dostob Kikkirshigos. A huge three-eyed rove beetle.  It has a fat, bulging trunk and it has an austere look about it.  Its clear exoskeleton is rough and cracked.  Beware its Fire!
This unenlightened monster managed to chase a woodcutter around my entire fort until he destroyed my little waterwheel/pumpstack waterfall machine!  I'm a bit of a newb, so I was rather proud of that machine.  Then he chased him into the back entrance of my fortress, despite it being the longest way into my fort and stepped over the couple traps set up just in case a goblin wandered in that direction.

I was unprepared for the sudden arrival of such an interesting human liason, and even more unexpected was the arrival of a titan soon afterwards.

10 of my poor dwarves were immolated or kicked to death, 5 of whom were military dwarves that despite all being in the same spot when ordered to attack, chose to gradually engage the beast one by one.

The last to fall was my Mayor, who gripped his steel warhammer(one of the few steel items in my fortress). and engaged the monster after one of its many legs kicked in the skull of a dwarven child   I yelled at him to fall back!, but to no avail, my mayor was a dwarven child, just recently come of age... I had groomed him to leadership after he created an artifact at a very young age and he followed that up by becoming an expert farmer while still a child.  His military training had just begun, but armed with a steel warhammer and silver artifact breastplate he was able to hold off the beast in the Noble housing section of my fortress.  I have no doubt that despite numerous surface wounds to the evil beast that would have been the end of my fortress, except that he held the monster off long enough for the human's Law-giver to tackle him to the ground.  The exchange between the two was mighty indeed (easily took up 30 pages of the battle report in just a few moments). Things seemed to be turning against the law-giver... although its always hard to tell with creatures of legend, he had a fractured lung and many internal and external wounds, but neither monster bled from any of them. But their combat did last long enough for at least a swordsdwarf and a wrestler to engage the monster and possibly turn the tide.  The end was abrupt, somewhere between having a steel shortsword twisted in it while being bitten and latched onto by the law giver with everyone involved choking on the smoke and poisonous vapors the desert titan lost his thorax... apparently his only weakness.

There I was just minding my own business, wondering who was drinking up all the booze, when in comes a bit of worldgen craziness that ended up in a fight between two titans right in the middle of my fortress (named Princessswords). My tiny military consisted of about 10 dwarves, no one near legendary status, 5 of whom were only useful sitting on top of a 4 z-level tower shooting flocks of buzzards with bone bolts who harrassed my trade depot.  Part of the problem was the military was gathered around the main entrance not knowing what to expect from the human liason who just entered, dwarves don't seem to like it when you tell them to station one place, and then follow that order up with another one telling them to attack another, they just decided to shoot some practice arrows and spar a little for the most part.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World gen results in two titans fighting it out in my fort.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:02:13 pm »

Um. A thorax is an insect's *upper body*. If you're basing it on "Its thorax is gone", that's not any info on what killed it.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:28:42 pm »

Yeah, I know the thorax is an insect's upper body, sad attempt at humor i know, thats why I just lurk forums for the most part.  Anyways, reading the combat log leaves no one in particular with specific credit for the kill, I'm assuming its awarded to the the diplomat with his poison spewing breath attack... since that has eaten away at the flesh of my surviving swordsdwarf.  I'll check the legends after saving to see if he got credit for it.

*edit* Medically speaking, isn't it a bad sign when my hospital patient starts giving off miasma while he's still alive?  I've seen zombies in better shape.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:36:37 pm by drkpaladin »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:47:00 pm »

Yeah, I know the thorax is an insect's upper body, sad attempt at humor i know, thats why I just lurk forums for the most part.  Anyways, reading the combat log leaves no one in particular with specific credit for the kill, I'm assuming its awarded to the the diplomat with his poison spewing breath attack... since that has eaten away at the flesh of my surviving swordsdwarf.  I'll check the legends after saving to see if he got credit for it.

*edit* Medically speaking, isn't it a bad sign when my hospital patient starts giving off miasma while he's still alive?  I've seen zombies in better shape.

Hooray, looks like the poisonous vapors released in the battle are now rotting your dwarves alive!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:13 am »

Yeah, giving off miasma while alive is indicative of necrosis.

And I'd look in the titan's battle logs to see what the last wound delivered to him was.  If it's something like a broken bone, or otherwise nonlethal, he probably bled to death.  Or possibly the necrosis killed him, but if your dwarves are only just now rotting alive that would suggest the syndrome isn't fast acting enough to have done it.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:33:00 am »

Had to check out legends to confirm it, but Ilu is creditted with the kill from 'bled to death' from mortal wound, it seems that after getting both 'her' hands broken, she fell back on a much more effective attack of biting and latching.  The desert titan had 117 kills from worldgen and my fort, he also yielded 260 meats.  Ilu has one kill, the desert titan, she is pretty interesting.

Ilu escaped the underworld, fooled humans into believing incarnation of deity Maga Incestmaze. That diety is associated with depravity, lies, treachery, and trickery.  Made lawgiver.

I managed to gen a decent world even until year 1060, its still the age of myth.  I think it helped that I maxed out the number of types of demons.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:40:20 am »

Ilu escaped the underworld, fooled humans into believing incarnation of deity Maga Incestmaze. That diety is associated with depravity, lies, treachery, and trickery.  Made lawgiver.

Neat. (that's not sarcasm, it's sometimes hard to tell via text)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:48:06 am »

Typically for the humans.

I sort of loathe them in this game at the moment. They have sent their building destroyer diplomats too often into my fortress in the early 31.0x days, and when they stopped doing that, they always got ambushed by goblins and elves, and blamed ME for the death of yet another one of their diplomats. Cue in sieges of 1-3 years. War grizzly bears interrupting my miners. Humans were one of the reasons why I modded my dwarves so that they will now butcher corpses of sentient races. *Prepared Human Kidney Roast*, yum.

And even IF their caravans manage to make it to the depot, they only offer the same crap that the dwarven caravan offers anyway. Now, elves, on the other hand - they've grizzly bear cages.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:49:58 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 03:30:36 am »

Well, even more amazing than the two titans fighting it out was my necrosis dwarf actually getting evaluated by a doctor.  Despite every limb rotting, none of his internals were affected.  *magic surgery* he starts walking and training again?! wow.  He needs a second opinion because his health is straight yellow down the board and after the surgery he was suffering from massive blood loss... but he got better lol, he isn't blind anymore and nothing amputated.  I have a feeling that time will heal his wounds since its all clear on his info screen.  This is the first time I've gotten a doc to do anything.  However, the slightly wounded human diplomat titan is literally never going to catch up to the noble he is talking to.  That noble is caught OCD trying to wash his hands and not accessible.  That one fighter was the only one caught by the necro-blast-breath attack the first time around.  However the diplomat got involved in a goblin siege and managed to hospitalize 5-7 more of my dwarves. The pantheon of this 'diety' is appropriate indeed.  I'm doubting magic surgery will save them all.

my next project was going to be a lever next to each hospital bed that would drop down four floodgates and allow me to drown the patient in his sleep.

I'm going to put that noble in my room full of kittens, dogs, goblin cages, and spikes and just set the levers to repeat.  If I'm lucky I'll end up with lots of meat, a dead noble, and a a diplomat demon that decides to talk to someone else or gets killed.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 05:43:22 am »

Ilu escaped the underworld, fooled humans into believing she was the incarnation of deity Maga Incestmaze. That diety is associated with depravity, lies, treachery, and trickery.  Made lawgiver.
Someone sig this.
くコ:彡