Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How did 9/11 Affect Terrorism In The US?: Graphs Before And After  (Read 19284 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posted in the previous project on Terrorism:

Quote from: Servant Corps
I'm going to bump this thread just to say that I'm going to eventually do a ameuterish project with this data. I am going to examine the composition of terrorist attacks on US soil before 9/11 and after 9/11, and try to study that. It could help me determine lots of stuff, like, say, the US have, in fact, became "safer".

My original idea was to just use the data to determine how many terrorist attacks occured in the same time period as my data, but I decided that problems of methodology would likely prevent me from getting sensible data.

It's done.

(second post-9/11 graph posted because the first one wasn't clear)

To ensure methodological comparsion, I was forced to start looking at terrorist attacks from 1998 to 9/10/2001, the day before 9/11/2001 then looked an equal amount of days up to May 22nd 2005. Inbetween the last project I did, the Global Terrorist Database updated itself with  new terrorist attacks, explaining why I had included new terrorist attacks that wasn't in the previous project. This means I need to update that old project with new data, but that will be for another time.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:43:49 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did 9/11 Affect Terrorism In The US?: Graphs Before And After
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:08:38 am »

I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:49 am »

I notice that "Daughter Kidnap Plot" didn't even appear on the list.

I call bullshit.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:17:50 am »

I call bullshit.

So after this person does all this fine work... You call bullshit because one thing you heard of didn't make it?
 :-\

Back on the rails, nice stuff. It has no effect on me, due to where i'm from but its sure interesting to look at. Good work.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:21:35 am »

A quick search on Google revealed that this 'plot' happened this year (2010), and thus would be excluded from both projects I did. In any event, I don't care about "plots", but actual "attacks".

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:34:13 am »

Any study that conflates relatively minor acts of vandalism and threats with bombs and anthrax isn't a study at all.
::)

Can't people look at the good points of this? Plus, both of the above could be used to strike fear into people i.e terrorism.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:35:06 am »

I call bullshit.

So after this person does all this fine work... You call bullshit because one thing you heard of didn't make it?
 :-\

Back on the rails, nice stuff. It has no effect on me, due to where i'm from but its sure interesting to look at. Good work.

A quick search on Google revealed that this 'plot' happened this year (2010), and thus would be excluded from both projects I did. In any event, I don't care about "plots", but actual "attacks".

you guys totally did that on purpose, right
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:39:40 am »

Can't people look at the good points of this?

Well, I welcome the criticism. All criticism is valid, since it will more than likely lead to more knowledge and better "experiments" in the future.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 03:49:30 am »

First post spoiler/quote:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote][/spoiler]

Can you make the second pie chart have the same style of captions as the one 1998-9/11? It's tough for me to see which colors are which on a dim monitor screen. By that I mean the arrows pointing to what the graph slices represent. I know it will be crammed in there due to the limited space, and also it's probably in the same order, but it still would make life easier for the users like me.

Also, thanks for doing this, it's an interesting piece of work.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:04:26 am »

You should maybe also make a graph including the casualties if you want to estimate the severity of the attacks.

also, what the hell  :o :o :o :o, your ecologists seems a bit belligerents .
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:17:35 am »

1; Please make the categories have the same color in both graphs. As it stands, it seems a tad confusing and misleading at a glance, due to how no categories have the same color in the before and after graphs. Scratch that, I just realized, it's not that they don't have the same color, it's that the second has different categories with very similar colors. My mistake.

2; I also feel that there isn't much consistency in what you count as "terrorism". On the one hand, you don't count successful incidents involving buytic acid, but do count attempted, but failed, arson, which is then conflated with several bombings, shootings, and mass arson.

3; You seem to only count occasions where a political motivations were a factor, but have an 'Other' category. What were the political motivations in those incidents, and why can't they be categorized with other categories, or have individual descriptive categories?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:01:56 am by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 08:45:21 am »

The ecoterrorists do.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:43:50 am »

A whole lot of this isn't what I would call terrorism.  Someone started a small fire in a planned parenthood office?  Sorry, but this liberal ain't shaking in his Birkenstocks.  And the entire animal rights section is "meh".  A distracted driver in my small town alone did more damage then environmental terrorists combined over these years.  We didn't call it terrorism.  We called it.  "Cool, we're getting a shiny new Pizza Hut."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:55 am »

Actually, probably most of the points I'd address in this thread were already covered in the previous thread linked to in the original post. By me, and a few others, actually. I forgot about that thread.

I have fewer problems with this one than I do with the last one, mainly because Servant Corps isn't drawing conclusions based upon the numbers as he did in the previous one ("lone wolves aren't dangerous"), but merely accounting for terrorist attacks, and the motivations behind them, and giving a percentage to the numbers involved.

Of course, if you really want to get interesting, my opinion is that you ought to try deeper analysis than this. Another set of graphs, Method of Attacks by Motive: Bombings by Motive, Arson by motive, Shooting by motive, etc. At least that way, the issue of conflation of relatively minor seeming attacks with relatively major attacks is avoided.
!!&!!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 11:54:44 am »

Dammit Anti-eco-terrorist terrorists! You've only grown 1%! You gotta pick it up to address the growing eco-terrorist threat!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2