Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Risk worth the reward for combat training on caged prisoners?  (Read 2087 times)

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't find mention of whether dwarves train combat skills more quickly in actual combat than in barracks training or if they train combat skills in actual combat that they can't learn in barracks training.

The reason I'm asking is because I've caught a lot of goblins in cages and I've been releasing them in an isolated room so my new recruits can shoot fish in a barrel. However, as you know, releasing caged prisoners is an involved process with levers, etc, so I'm wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Risk worth the reward for combat training on caged prisoners?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 04:48:32 pm »

You can pit prisoners through a locked hatch on the ceiling. As long as nothing interrupts the hauler, that generally works fine.

Ever since training was buffed, there's not a huge difference in skill gain. You'll probably get bad thoughts from the bodies. However, that will contribute to combat hardening towards seeing bodies in the future. You'll probably get named (unbreakable) equipment faster from killing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 04:50:05 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 06:56:50 pm »

Ya, I was thinking you'd be able to get more named weapons this way.

I keep cage traps around my entrances to catch werebeasts but it doesn't seem to make sense to employ these against goblin hordes since it ends up leaving me with scores of prisoners to process. Drowning chambers or masterwork silver mace-packed weapons traps seem like the better approach to sieges.

Thanks for the information.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 06:59:04 pm »

I can't find mention of whether dwarves train combat skills more quickly in actual combat than in barracks training or if they train combat skills in actual combat that they can't learn in barracks training.
Live combat trains skills faster.

For the purpose of your question, however, no, it's not really worth it. They'll just one-hit the goblins, making all your preparation worth only a very small amount of exp. Just keep them training in barracks.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 01:07:00 pm »

Thanks so much for the response.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop

You can make a danger room and train dwarfs to legendary combat skills, I know danger rooms got nerfed pretty bad, but you can mod  a special training wood for your dwarfs to use pretty easy.
I made a mod that makes styrofoam wood it can hit, but not make damage perfect for training and nobody who accidentally walks into my danger room gets murdered.
You can use vanilla wood too for training danger rooms but people get pretty messed up pretty badly, lol  your doctors would end up legendary before your warriors.