Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

How To Farm (versions 0.31.x through 0.42.x)

<< < (24/30) > >>

Zarnium:
How do I tell exactly whether my farm plots are producing food or not? My dwarves are all hungry even though I've set the plot to produce plump helmets every season. The farms show wavy lines, which means nothing is planted, right?

(Though I think they may also be starving because I turned all their food into booze. Oops.)

EDIT: Woops, I meant to put this in the "DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread." Oh well, it's probably still ok here.

JAFANZ:
If you have a bookkeeper set to sufficient precision (& with enough office assigned), you can track your seeds, plants drinks & meals.

If you have too much booze, & need food, enable cooking  of plump helmet seeds (if you've been growing & brewing you should have plenty) & Dwarven Wine, but disable all other solid foods. ensure your plump helmet seed bag(/s) is(/are) further away from your kitchen than your booze stockpile (or just create a temporary food stockpile that only accepts from links it does have, put a garbage zone over it, then dump a bunch of plum helmet seeds on it).

Then instruct you cook to make Easy Meals, you want lots of stacks rather than large ones (probably a few more than you have dwarves).

IME seeds are never stacked, so each seed in a meal is a stack of 1 (so if they don't use booze, you'll get 2 biscuits), add booze & you might turn a given stack into 26 (as such I have been known to identify & forbid the barrels/pots with larger booze stacks until I can use them in roasts), just be sure you specify how many biscuits you want.

A stack of Seed/Wine biscuits is unlikely to ever be valuable enough to impress a dwarf who doesn't have a preference for wine (IMO), but you should have plenty of food stacks of sufficient size to be going on with for a couple of seasons, by which time you'll hopefully have set yourself up to make huge roast stacks of valuable materials intended to give happy thoughts, & buy out entire merchant caravans. (as a bonus, biscuits means your chef trains a bit faster).

greycat:

--- Quote from: Zarnium on June 27, 2014, 07:25:06 am ---How do I tell exactly whether my farm plots are producing food or not?

--- End quote ---

A farm plot tile that has a seed planted in it changes its appearance (straight horizontal lines, if you're in the ASCII tileset).  You can also t the plot to see its "contents", which will show you all the seeds currently planted there.

Nikita:
Here's a question: I'm not really a fan of 200 seed cap coupled with seeds always going into 100-seed bags, as it means I can have at most two such bags. Is there a way to stockpile seeds individually / make them not use bags / change bag size / change seed cap?

greycat:

--- Quote from: Nikita on July 26, 2014, 03:27:16 pm ---Here's a question: I'm not really a fan of 200 seed cap coupled with seeds always going into 100-seed bags, as it means I can have at most two such bags. Is there a way to stockpile seeds individually / make them not use bags / change bag size / change seed cap?

--- End quote ---

The seed caps can be changed in d_init.txt in 0.40.* (but not in earlier versions, as far as I know).

There is no way to prevent bags being used, if bags exist.  Dwarves will happily stockpile 1 seed per tile if your fortress has no bags, but that will restrict some of the things you can make (no dye, flour, quarry bush leaves, sugar, sand, glass, etc.).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version