Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

How To Farm (versions 0.31.x through 0.42.x)

<< < (25/30) > >>

Berserkenstein:

--- Quote from: greycat on July 28, 2014, 11:48:15 am ---
--- Quote from: Nikita on July 26, 2014, 03:27:16 pm ---Here's a question: I'm not really a fan of 200 seed cap coupled with seeds always going into 100-seed bags, as it means I can have at most two such bags. Is there a way to stockpile seeds individually / make them not use bags / change bag size / change seed cap?

--- End quote ---

The seed caps can be changed in d_init.txt in 0.40.* (but not in earlier versions, as far as I know).

There is no way to prevent bags being used, if bags exist.  Dwarves will happily stockpile 1 seed per tile if your fortress has no bags, but that will restrict some of the things you can make (no dye, flour, quarry bush leaves, sugar, sand, glass, etc.).

--- End quote ---

I can think of a couple of ways to prevent bags from being used on your seed stockpiles.

The first is using burrow restrictions to restrict farming dwarves from being able to access bags.

The second is if you hermetically seal your farming dwarves to their farms with their own food and drink and shuttle farm goods in and out via a minecart system or simply exported by gravity via a drop hole.

Albeit these methods are pretty excessive, but if you REALLY don't want your dwarves from using bags on seed stockpiles it could work.

laularukyrumo:
I've got a grand total of two plump helmet spawn planted among my four farming plots... There's a pile of seeds in a stockpile, with no stockpile links, and no stockpile has ever been linked to the farms. Yet it insists that I don't have plump helmet seeds. :( How fix?

greycat:
First, it's not possible to link stockpiles to farms.  Unfortunately.

Second, are you getting "no seeds" when you view the farm plot, or are you getting job cancellation messages when dwarves go to plant them?  (Giving the exact messages might be helpful, too.)

Third, make sure the farm plots are strictly above-ground (each tile has been lit at some point),  or strictly underground (no tile has ever been lit).  If even one tile of an underground plot is ever exposed to light, that tile becomes above-ground.  This makes the plot partly above-ground and partly underground, and then it won't do anything right.

The normal workaround for planting job cancellations is to make sure there are no barrels allowed in your seed stockpile.  You'll still get some cancellations when dwarves take a seed bag out to collect seeds, but with barrels they can take all the bags at once, which is far worse.

smeeprocket:
I hope this hasn't been answered but I did look.

Is there a reason to leave a field fallow? As in will the soil deplete of minerals if I continue to grow in it season after season?

greycat:
No, there's nothing like mineral depletion in Dwarf Fortress yet.  The only reason to leave a field fallow for a season would be if you don't want any of the available crops from that field in that season.  (During the winter underground, for example, you can only grow plump helmets and dimple cups.  If you aren't using dimple cups for dyeing, and if you have enough plump helmets already, you might not want your dwarves to waste time growing any more of them.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version