Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

How To Farm (versions 0.31.x through 0.42.x)

<< < (28/30) > >>

Albedo:
Pro'ly too many other labors (esp various Hauling labors) enabled on your Grower(s). Just a guess, but I've seen it be a problem.

greycat:
Updated the guide again.

cochramd:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've downloaded a mod that significantly increases growing time for all crops and places seasonal restrictions on above ground crops and have 2 questions. Say we have Crop A that can only grow in Spring, Summer and Autumn, and takes 2.5 seasons to grow. My first question is that if I planted Crop A in the Spring and ordered that field "left fallow" that Summer and Autumn, would Crop A continue to grow through those seasons? My second question is that if instead of leaving it fallow I ordered Crop B planted in Autumn, will the farmers wait until Crop A has grown and been harvested to seed that plot?

greycat:

--- Quote from: cochramd on February 02, 2016, 06:00:46 pm ---Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've downloaded a mod that significantly increases growing time for all crops and places seasonal restrictions on above ground crops and have 2 questions. Say we have Crop A that can only grow in Spring, Summer and Autumn, and takes 2.5 seasons to grow. My first question is that if I planted Crop A in the Spring and ordered that field "left fallow" that Summer and Autumn, would Crop A continue to grow through those seasons? My second question is that if instead of leaving it fallow I ordered Crop B planted in Autumn, will the farmers wait until Crop A has grown and been harvested to seed that plot?

--- End quote ---

I don't have a lot of experiences with those types of mods, but from what I understand, you should be able to set the plot for planting Crop A in Spring and Summer, and Crop B in Autumn (and Winter?).  If I'm correct, dwarves should only be able to plant the seeds for Crop A in the first half of the Spring; after that, the seeds would not have enough time to mature, so dwarves shouldn't plant them (and the crop will show up in red on the plot's menu), but they should leave existing seeds alone until they mature.  Then they may be able to plant Crop B, depending on whether enough time remains for it to mature.

You'll need to test it all with your mod to be sure.

Robsoie:
On my current fort i have decided to go with an "above ground" type of farming, it's the first time ever since i play DF that i do that, as i always use underground ones usually.
And as expected i run into a problem that i can't seem to solve.

So after embarking, i checked if there were trees growing (as i didn't checked if it was a mountain biome before embarking), and there were a lot (that i regularly cut), so fortunately it is not a mountain

I then channeled a big hole, and set the zone as a pond, so my dwarves would fill it with water.
Once the area i wanted to be a farm had at least 1 of water on each tile (so they all have mud), i removed the zone, and built my farm plots.
So the farm is not on the surface, but as it's fully lit, it's considered above ground farm so i can only use above ground seeds as wanted.

Now the problem (spoilers to not fill the whole post) :
- I have truckload of Prickle Berries seeds.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- I have a seed-only stockpile with no barrel giving any problem, some of those bags have Prickle berries.
- For all 4 seasons i setup the farm to make use of Prickle Berries
- I enabled the farming (field) skill to a lot of my dwarves.

And it simply does not work, not a single dwarf is even trying to plant any of those Prickle berries seed.

I'm using no mods, tried with a 42.06 using dfhack and a 42.06 without dfhack (to see if it was a dfhack problem as the 42.06 version of dfhack is not yet considered stable) without a difference in this problem.
I use a simple tileset

Here's my save in case someone may want to see if they find what's wrong (assuming it's not just a new bug), i'm still early game, only +40 dwarves and only surface + a little on the 1 z level of underground on a 2x2 map, so there's no performance problem.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11845

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version