Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

How To Farm (versions 0.31.x through 0.42.x)

<< < (30/30)

Fleeting Frames:
It's worth mentioning target population for your farm sizes. You have 7*15=105 tiles of farm plot if I got it correctly, meaning you need 3 active Legendary farmers and will harvest roughly 732 plants per season; enough for ~244 dwarves (less with less than L+5 skill).

- Regarding tree fruit farms: A fruit gathering dwarf will grab all the fruit contaminants in 3x3x3 box surrounding them. This means it can be profitable to build a stairway up so you can harvest more from single tree.

- Automated fish farming could be done using minecart on pressure plate to seal/unseal fishing locating depending on weight. Thankfully fishes are accessible inside cart for cleaning and eating. Egg gathering can work similarly.

- Automated butchery is done automatically for wild animals. Additionally, undead ones count as wild. Unfortunately, chained pair of wild animals mostly stop further spawns from their layer.

- WDYM with burrows?

Sarmatian123:

--- Quote from: Fleeting Frames on April 23, 2020, 12:31:33 pm ---It's worth mentioning target population for your farm sizes. You have 7*15=105 tiles of farm plot if I got it correctly, meaning you need 3 active Legendary farmers and will harvest roughly 732 plants per season; enough for ~244 dwarves (less with less than L+5 skill).

- Regarding tree fruit farms: A fruit gathering dwarf will grab all the fruit contaminants in 3x3x3 box surrounding them. This means it can be profitable to build a stairway up so you can harvest more from single tree.

- Automated fish farming could be done using minecart on pressure plate to seal/unseal fishing locating depending on weight. Thankfully fishes are accessible inside cart for cleaning and eating. Egg gathering can work similarly.

- Automated butchery is done automatically for wild animals. Additionally, undead ones count as wild. Unfortunately, chained pair of wild animals mostly stop further spawns from their layer.

- WDYM with burrows?

--- End quote ---

I do not know how to link a minecart to kitchen, but I see your point about raw food.
I think 2 floor fruit garden is a wee too low, then.

6*15 actually. 1*15 per each above ground plant though. 18 types of drinks (plus mead, but you can't cook mead??? OMG!) makes it 14 above ground plants. 3x6 stockpile stores around 1000 plants of each type and rest of harvest ends wittered in refuse. 60 seeds limits the one time production from fields. The settlement has 250 Dwarves population and about 10 farmers/growers. Too few farmers?

Fleeting Frames:
Linking minecart to kitchen is just painting workshop-restricting burrow over kitchen, minecart and all stockpiles you want kitchen to take from. Then kitchen will not take from everywhere else in fort, but will take from minecart as normal.

6*15+1*15 is 7*15, but I guess you had more. 10 growers should be able to handle that, based on that link. However, given that you send overproduction into refuse, it's seems to be less about food and more cross-training; and farming is rather slow way to do that - herbalism is better for its stats as long as you have plants to pick up and want to use plant-based crossfit; about on par with screw pumps for endurance.

Pyrite:
Tree farming is a kind of farming, right? I've been trying to build an underground tree farm, and I wanted opinions on the optimal height above the muddy floor to leave for the trees to grow. How tall will fungiwood and other multi-log trees get? How tall should I let them get before I cut them?

I made a pit 8 z levels down for this, but I'm thinking I may want to build a floor 4 levels up from the bottom to make a second tree farming layer. Will trees grow on a muddied block floor?

willjuZ963:
Thanks man, you're a saviour.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version