Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: How To Farm (versions 0.31.x through 0.42.x)  (Read 312935 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Farm in 0.31.x (DF2010)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 04:01:41 am »

You should add a section at the end about fertilizer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 05:32:13 pm »

I think it's good to note buggy behavior in the follow-ups of this thread.  I made a conscious decision not to include any bug-related information in the guide itself, because I didn't want it to apply only to specific point releases, or to be confusing, or to need amending whenever a bug gets fixed.

(For purposes of this thread, I am treating "underground soil needs to be muddied" as a feature rather than a bug.  I know there is much controversy about this classification.  However, it has been in place for 6 months now, across every 0.31.* release, and has an immediate and profound impact on just about every fortress.)

Toady just hasn't gotten to it yet, thats why :P

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 02:39:42 pm »

(For purposes of this thread, I am treating "underground soil needs to be muddied" as a feature rather than a bug.  I know there is much controversy about this classification.  However, it has been in place for 6 months now, across every 0.31.* release, and has an immediate and profound impact on just about every fortress.)

Well, if it was a feature, either Footkerchief or Toady would have taken it off the bug tracker by now.  :P

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 11:34:20 am »

I've never found a shortage of muddy ground in the caverns. But the bucket-trick does convert aboveground murky pool tiles to farmable soil.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 08:57:08 am »

What's strange, if it was a feature, them undergrounds plants would need muddied soil too, right?

then why do they sprout everywhere on my soil when I open the caverns up?  ;)

anyway thanks for writing this up, I'm too lazy to do it. More friends to DF!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 12:44:52 am »

I was mistaken about muddying murky pools, after watching closely I saw that it didn't work. However, I built stone floors over it then deconstructed them, and the plot I was able to build there could cultivate both surface and subterranean plants.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 10:11:07 am »

wow... I usually get that when I channel a tile above a farm, but this looks nice. Might try it, thanks.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »

I was mistaken about muddying murky pools, after watching closely I saw that it didn't work. However, I built stone floors over it then deconstructed them, and the plot I was able to build there could cultivate both surface and subterranean plants.

My guess is that you did some excavating of the pool walls and had some floor tiles above overhanging portions of the plot giving you the option for underground plants.  If you had continued and actually assigned seeds to be planted on that plot, you would have found that nothing at all will get planted there, ever.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 01:38:03 pm »

the wiki says irrigation is no longer needed for underground SOIL! YAY!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:11 am »

Which page?  I just checked http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bugs and http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Farm and neither one says dry soil works.  (I haven't had a chance to play .17 or .18 yet.)

Also, http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=13 has not been closed or updated to say any such thing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 11:33:36 am »

If your bucket brigade hole causes the tile beneath it to be exposed to open sky (i.e., your dwarves pour from above ground), then that tile is forever after considered above ground and your farmers will stop planting underground crops when they reach it (going in top-down, left-right order). This is an old fact, but I managed to forget it somehow; probably worth mentioning in a new player guide.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »

Added a sentence about the light thing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 11:29:04 am »

My guess is that you did some excavating of the pool walls and had some floor tiles above overhanging portions of the plot giving you the option for underground plants.  If you had continued and actually assigned seeds to be planted on that plot, you would have found that nothing at all will get planted there, ever.
I thought you might be right, so I demolished the farm and replotted it into four equal sections. None of them allow subterranean plants, and all of them are growing surface crops. There are three sandy tiles no longer included in the farm, they might have been the source of the underground crop options. But all the tiles that were murky pool are now truly farmable land; they got seeded and the harvests are coming out of them.

katheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 04:48:33 am »

A simple question , why can't Dwarfs just get a bucket of water and muddy the soil under thier feet?

Sure its dwarfy to flood the whole chamber by diggin into the side of the mountian to get to a pocket of water but... Hmm the more I think about it...

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 07:25:43 am »

Is it worth noting that you can just dig down to a cavern and set up a farm on the cavern floor?  As long as you're not on a reclaim which wipes all the mud away it's easier than flooding a room as caverns start off muddy.  If you build a wall around your farm you're safe from most creatures venturing in unless they can fly...  Famous last words.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10