Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

How To Farm in 0.31.x and 0.34.x (DF2010/2012)

<< < (17/23) > >>

brainfreez:
a legendary farmer is a good farmer . :)

vanatteveldt:
Newb question: how do you handle the processing of plant produce?

I generally setup a seed+plants pile near the fields and a food (minus seeds/plants) pile near the dining hall. In between them I build a millstone, farmers workshop, still, kitchen and on another side of the plants pile a loom, dye, and cloth workshop.

Now, I would wish all plants to be milled to get flour + seeds, and the seeds to be cooked; and applicable plants to be processed into cloth and dye.

What I do now is disable cooking plants, and use the manager to queue up 30 of each job (milling, processing etc.), assuming they'll be done as stuff becomes available. However, this generates a lot of cancellation messsages and I have the feeling that a lot of plants are eaten instead of milled. I guess I could forbid eating the plants, but this will lead to problems if the kitchen has no second ingredient as flour needs to be cooked (right?).

What do other people do to avoid these issues?

FuzzyZergling:

--- Quote from: vanatteveldt on October 22, 2012, 02:01:25 pm ---Newb question: how do you handle the processing of plant produce?

I generally setup a seed+plants pile near the fields and a food (minus seeds/plants) pile near the dining hall. In between them I build a millstone, farmers workshop, still, kitchen and on another side of the plants pile a loom, dye, and cloth workshop.

Now, I would wish all plants to be milled to get flour + seeds, and the seeds to be cooked; and applicable plants to be processed into cloth and dye.

What I do now is disable cooking plants, and use the manager to queue up 30 of each job (milling, processing etc.), assuming they'll be done as stuff becomes available. However, this generates a lot of cancellation messsages and I have the feeling that a lot of plants are eaten instead of milled. I guess I could forbid eating the plants, but this will lead to problems if the kitchen has no second ingredient as flour needs to be cooked (right?).

What do other people do to avoid these issues?

--- End quote ---
You shouldn't cook seeds or plants, only their products.
I just set up the jobs to be [r]epeated, not through the manager.
The only plants that can be eaten raw are plump helmets (not counting surface plants). All others need to be cooked or processed first.

vanatteveldt:
Maybe I'm just confused with the terminology, but I though that the cycle went something like:

Seeds --[Plant]-> (Plot) --[Harvest]-> Plant --[Mill/Distill/Process]-> seeds + (flour/drinks/...)

Am I misunderstanding something?

If I set to repeat, and at some point they can't find a X to process, the job will cancel, no?

FuzzyZergling:

--- Quote from: vanatteveldt on October 22, 2012, 08:31:52 pm ---Maybe I'm just confused with the terminology, but I though that the cycle went something like:

Seeds --[Plant]-> (Plot) --[Harvest]-> Plant --[Mill/Distill/Process]-> seeds + (flour/drinks/...)

Am I misunderstanding something?

If I set to repeat, and at some point they can't find a X to process, the job will cancel, no?

--- End quote ---
That's all correct.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version