Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

How To Farm (versions 0.31.x through 0.42.x)

<< < (18/30) > >>

vanatteveldt:

--- Quote from: FuzzyZergling on October 22, 2012, 08:51:29 pm ---
--- Quote from: vanatteveldt on October 22, 2012, 08:31:52 pm ---Seeds --[Plant]-> (Plot) --[Harvest]-> Plant --[Mill/Distill/Process]-> seeds + (flour/drinks/...)
If I set to repeat, and at some point they can't find a X to process, the job will cancel, no?

--- End quote ---
That's all correct.

--- End quote ---

So... if that is all correct, how do you avoid using the manager to set 30 jobs and get tons of cancellation messages? Or do you just assume that some stock will build up and give an [R] job to work away the stock, and check every so often? Or is a good farming operation flooded with plants so all will go alright? (and how do I achieve this?)

I'll try again tonight hopefully and post a save if I still can't get it to work, I'm probably missing something silly..

Mushroo:

--- Quote from: vanatteveldt on October 24, 2012, 02:53:04 pm ---
--- Quote from: FuzzyZergling on October 22, 2012, 08:51:29 pm ---
--- Quote from: vanatteveldt on October 22, 2012, 08:31:52 pm ---Seeds --[Plant]-> (Plot) --[Harvest]-> Plant --[Mill/Distill/Process]-> seeds + (flour/drinks/...)
If I set to repeat, and at some point they can't find a X to process, the job will cancel, no?

--- End quote ---
That's all correct.

--- End quote ---

So... if that is all correct, how do you avoid using the manager to set 30 jobs and get tons of cancellation messages? Or do you just assume that some stock will build up and give an [R] job to work away the stock, and check every so often? Or is a good farming operation flooded with plants so all will go alright? (and how do I achieve this?)

I'll try again tonight hopefully and post a save if I still can't get it to work, I'm probably missing something silly..

--- End quote ---

Correct, you let the plants build up and then use the manager (at least this is how I do it). For example 1 lavish meal needs 4 ingredients, so you can cue up 120 process plant (bag) jobs and 30 prepare lavish meal jobs.

It is much easier (in my opinion) to store food in plant form, and then process it as-needed, rather than to store food in processed form in case you need it.

vanatteveldt:

--- Quote from: Mushroo on October 24, 2012, 02:56:36 pm ---
Correct, you let the plants build up and then use the manager (at least this is how I do it). For example 1 lavish meal needs 4 ingredients, so you can cue up 120 process plant (bag) jobs and 30 prepare lavish meal jobs.

It is much easier (in my opinion) to store food in plant form, and then process it as-needed, rather than to store food in processed form in case you need it.

--- End quote ---

Aha. Won't the dwarfs eat them before I can process them in that case? Or will they always prefer nicer meals (and if they really prefer the plants let em graze?)

I guess this requires having enough seeds as you get the seeds back on processing, but maybe a mature fortress has way too many seeds anyway?

Mushroo:

--- Quote from: vanatteveldt on October 24, 2012, 03:44:02 pm ---Aha. Won't the dwarfs eat them before I can process them in that case? Or will they always prefer nicer meals (and if they really prefer the plants let em graze?)

I guess this requires having enough seeds as you get the seeds back on processing, but maybe a mature fortress has way too many seeds anyway?

--- End quote ---

Dwarfs will starve to death before they eat an unprocessed quarry bush. The only plants they can eat raw are plump helmets and berries.

The game has a cap of 200 seeds per type, therefore if you process hundreds of plants at once, you are essentially wasting the surplus seeds. Better to process 30 plants, get those seeds in the ground, then process another 30 plants when you need them, etc.

vanatteveldt:
According to the stock screen I have 13 plump helmets, but the miller says there are no millable unrotten plants. Also, I can't find the plump helmets on my plants stockpile (and all other piles should have plants disabled).

Are plants "in the field" counted as plants in the stock screen? If not, where are my plump helmets and why can't they be milled?

If so, is there any way to know how many plants are ready to be processed without counting barrel contents?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version