Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captured Enemies in Cages. How to Execute Them? (with magma)  (Read 2198 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Captured Enemies in Cages. How to Execute Them? (with magma)
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:07:47 am »

I realize i can just place their cages in a room then fill the room with magma, but the catch is I'd rather not waste perfectly good cages.

Ideally, I'm looking for a situation where i can toss them into a pit already filled with magma and not bother with the hassle of draining the room of magma etc.

The wiki mentions that you can assign hostile creatures in cages to be thrown in pits, but when i try that, the escaped snatcher, goblin etc, interrupts the dwarf dwarf assigned to drag them to the pit and makes their getaway.

On a side note, is there any way to...relieve... the caged enemies of their items? Seeing as how they won't need them where they're going.

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Captured Enemies in Cages. How to Execute Them? (with magma)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:29:23 am »

Hey, Geneva convention dictates you must care for your prisoners humanly. It is not nice to make your prisoners have to carry around all their valuable armor and weapons. You can "Relive" them of this burden in a few steps
Step 1. Create a dump ("i') next to the cage. One square works fine (Can be any distance 1 square is fastest).
Step 2. d+b+c (Claim items) drag this over the cage
Step 3. d+b+d (Dump items) Drag over.
Step 4. With "t" make sure the cage it's self isn't set to be dumped.
Step 5. Watch your dwarfs go. You can then d+b+c the dump pile to claim these items your dwarfs will take them.

You are pretty much left with defenseless prisoners, personally i enjoy then assigning them to a restraint and letting my recruits show them the meaning of fun.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 03:51:51 am »

You don't have to build the cage to do this.  If you have a bookkeeper, you can remove the dump flag on the cage from the z->Stocks menu, go to the Cages category and right arrow to whatever cages are marked with a "D" and hit the "d" key.  If you have a lot of cages that's probably going to be many fewer keystrokes.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:02:42 am »

I just drop them down an eight-story shaft, where they go splat. Then unforbid all the leftover goblinite. Goblinite is my main export these days.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:12:06 am by AngleWyrm »

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:09:58 am »

70% I throw down my execution tower

10% participate in my !!Science!! experiments

20% (the ones who look cool and interesting) go into my arena. How many rounds can they survive?
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:19:58 am »

Goblin snatchers and thieves cause problems and run away, but normal goblin soldiers can be dragged across a map and thrown in to lava or a pit without a problem.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 08:23:22 am »

Unless you build their cage right on the edge of a pit, trapavoid gobbos and kobolds tend to scare off your dorfs: when I release them I make sure my recruits are stationing right there...