Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crundlesplosion  (Read 8572 times)

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crundlesplosion
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 07:51:34 am »

Vermin may behave differently from large creatures.  Seeing as they're spontaneously generated and seem to pop in and out of existence, I could see the game checking their temperature more often.

Also I'm not even getting new crundles bursting into flames with that.  And when I put it on salmon, they aren't boiling water.  Or burning.  So yeah, not quite sure whether I'm doing something wrong, or temperature handling has changed.  ...I'm suspicious its the later; we have evidence of thermonuclear catsplosions not working back in 40d, and temperature has clearly been adjusted a couple times, as the melting-in-the-rain bug suggests.  Which version did you manage to do this on?

Plus I think temperature is a bit screwy right now anyway, pour lava on your dwarves and they seem to bleed to death before catching fire.  Maybe that's supposed to happen.

(For other screwy things, my crundlebombs seem to, strangely enough, be cold explosions.  They'll freeze bloodspatters on the dwarves clothing.)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 10:11:52 am »

...I then removed their brain tag from their body and the game died on me.  Though not instantly; the first frame that passed had every crundle on the map get winded, so I guess I'm on to something?

Anyway, I guess the next question is, how do I mod out their brain?  Because apparently I don't know that after all.

You were on the right track - removing the brain tag makes them forget how to breathe, which is what made them winded. You need to leave it long enough for all of them to suffocate, then you can put it back.

On a side note, by any chance did you capture any crundles in cage traps and tame them? If so, you might want to consider slaughtering them - in my previous fort I managed to capture a single bugbat from a large swarm, and the rest of the swarm decided to set up camp at the map edge and initiate a bugbatsplosion; once I slaughtered the one bugbat I had captured (and tamed), all of the others (including the children) left the map.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:29:25 am »

Strange, I remember removing the brain from a couple goblin ambushes. Instakilled them, as well as the ones I already had in cages(teleporting their stuff to the site of the trap). However, re-adding the brains caused the game to crash when I loo{k}ed at their corpses. I had to re-remove the brains and atom-smash the corpses, and I never did find out what would happen if new goblins entered.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 11:09:30 am »

At least they're not zombie crundles...nothing like clouds of miasma all over the place.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:41 pm »

Actually, a correction: you remove the [THOUGHT] tag from the brain, not the brain itself, in order to make them suffocate.

[edit] Actually, ignore that - if you do that, everything will die because you'd be removing it from body_default.txt, which applies to every creature simultaneously.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:21:56 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 01:07:19 pm »

Actually, a correction: you remove the [THOUGHT] tag from the brain, not the brain itself, in order to make them suffocate.
Thank you, sir!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 03:01:24 pm »

Can't you just send some dwarves over there with axes and solve the problem?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 03:18:54 pm »

Vermin may behave differently from large creatures.  Seeing as they're spontaneously generated and seem to pop in and out of existence, I could see the game checking their temperature more often.

Also I'm not even getting new crundles bursting into flames with that.  And when I put it on salmon, they aren't boiling water.  Or burning.  So yeah, not quite sure whether I'm doing something wrong, or temperature handling has changed.  ...I'm suspicious its the later; we have evidence of thermonuclear catsplosions not working back in 40d, and temperature has clearly been adjusted a couple times, as the melting-in-the-rain bug suggests.  Which version did you manage to do this on?

Plus I think temperature is a bit screwy right now anyway, pour lava on your dwarves and they seem to bleed to death before catching fire.  Maybe that's supposed to happen.

(For other screwy things, my crundlebombs seem to, strangely enough, be cold explosions.  They'll freeze bloodspatters on the dwarves clothing.)

Is your temperature on? it took me an hour to figure out that was why it wasn't working when i did it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 04:18:22 pm »

The problem with the brain removeal thing was that the game crashed before they could die. Which is not so helpful. :P

My map doesn't seem to have any zombies.  It's an evil biome, but all it'll spawn is skeletons.  And mostly skeletal carp and groundhogs and occasionally wolves, who all seem to die the moment they're poked.

I did have a number of caged crundles--earlier I'd modded them to have the [PET] tag so I could tame them and slaughter them.  I just got fed up with the fact that the cages would pull half a dozen crundles every time i managed to empty them.  And that they'd occasionally escape the cages and run around the fortress cancelling everyone's jobs.

Yes, temperature is on.  I think there's some weirdness going on with the temperatures of existing creatures, as opposed to new ones--and I'm guessing the crundles that were appearing on the map after doing this were still part of an existing pack, so their body temperature was already set--because when I opened up the arena after messing with the homeotherm of elves, they'd either spontaneously freeze, burst into flames, or, for the creepiest example, have their teeth, and then face, melt, followed shortly by complete evaporation if they were ever exposed to water.

(For those wishing to replicate melting elves, give them [HOMEOTHERM:10000] and [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL][MELTING_POINT:10020][BOILING_POINT:10020].  It will also cause them to evaporate when killed.)

...and for some reason my arena was raining.  So they didn't even have to find any water to melt.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00:38 pm »

I did have a number of caged crundles--earlier I'd modded them to have the [PET] tag so I could tame them and slaughter them.  I just got fed up with the fact that the cages would pull half a dozen crundles every time i managed to empty them.  And that they'd occasionally escape the cages and run around the fortress cancelling everyone's jobs.

As I mentioned, this is probably why the other crundles are still hanging around in the caverns and crundlesplosioning - get rid of all of the caged crundles you currently have (as well as all of the uncaged tame ones, if you have any) and the others in the caverns will quite likely pack up and leave.

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 08:45:50 pm »

Dwarven science experiments like these are why this game never ceases to enthrall me.
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 11:34:09 pm »

Dwarven science experiments like these are why this game never ceases to enthrall me.
I think I'll wait until I get the basics down before i try !!science!!, or any other major branch of dwarven science. (!!Science!! seems to be the most popular.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 03:31:19 am »

I always just give things the [AMPHIBIOUS] tag. They Air-Drown rather fast after that, and don't risk your whole fort bursting into flames.
Also: Crundle Tallow Biscuits.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 05:16:59 am »

If you really want them gone, whynot Runesmith them out?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 07:15:10 am »

I always just give things the [AMPHIBIOUS] tag. They Air-Drown rather fast after that, and don't risk your whole fort bursting into flames.
Also: Crundle Tallow Biscuits.

...You mean "aquatic," right?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]