Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crundlesplosion  (Read 8403 times)

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crundlesplosion
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:25:03 am »

It appears that I have one of these on my hands and my framerate has dropped to single digits--my river rerouting certainly isn't helping, but its' mostly to the stage of drying up--and there's currently around a couple dozen crundles on the map.  More to the point, my computer isn't very fast, and is not liking this.

Basically, is there a relatively easy way to mod these banes of all that is holy--or my framerate, same thing--out of existence?  Or at least cause them to all fall over dead instantly?  Any kind of more complex solution is pretty much out of the question, since it take my military fifteen minutes to get to the cavern when a new herd shows up. ._.

Help would be appreciated here ^_^

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Crundlesplosion
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 03:26:46 am »

Mod their raws so they no longer have brains.*

*Thanks, Lord Shonus

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:53:34 am »

Huh, that was... odd.

I tried removing their brain material and they remained alive.  ...I then removed their brain tag from their body and the game died on me.  Though not instantly; the first frame that passed had every crundle on the map get winded, so I guess I'm on to something?

Anyway, I guess the next question is, how do I mod out their brain?  Because apparently I don't know that after all.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 04:03:26 am »

I'd never actually tried it, only heard of it being done.  That's what I would have done, too.  Apparently, not having a brain only slowed my dwarfs down.  And they didn't seem to mind not having a heart or spine at all.

Could someone who knows more than the nothing I know about modding chime in?  I'd like to know now, as well.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:08:05 am »

As a note, I've found a solution that prevents new crundles from spawning, but doesn't seem to apply to any already spawned ones.  Still better than nothing.

Adding this to the end of the creature definition causes new crundles to evaporate.
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[MELTING_POINT:4000][BOILING_POINT:4000]

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 04:11:51 am »

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

I'm sorry... but that is getting sig'ed... XD
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:40:00 am »

Even better--or worse if you want to avoid people getting pissy at you--this seems to mean everything that was for trade is now mine.  Well, except the cloth and stuff which seems to have vanished in the explosion.

...except I was kind of hoping these guys would bring me more giant cave spiders >.>

Also any surviving crundle that suffers even the slightest injury seems to promptly evaporate.  I'd say they've become wimpier, but they are crundles, so I'm not sure that's possible.  Except for severed limbs.  Those seem to not evaporate.  Considering what happened to my trade depot, I'm a bit worried about what'll happen to my butchers if they get their hands on these....

But this seems to have at least solved my crundle problem.  So yay. ^_^

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 05:11:41 am »

If you set the Crundle [HOMEOTHERM] to something ridiculous like 50000 and turn temperature on they will all instantly burst into flame. It wasn't too flashy when i did it to every vermin in the game, but crundles are a good bit bigger so i have no idea what would happen.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 05:14:29 am »

Crundle head asplode! Awesome. Must try that on the humans.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 05:36:43 am »

It appears it doesn't constantly check melting points against the raws or some such.  So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

I had a crundle have a finger severed, which caused it to die nearly instantly, and the cloud of blood happened to touch and adjacent crundle, who promptly started melting.  It didn't die from that though, there were also three axe dwarves in the area and it was dismembered in ten frame window from which it was exposed to the blood and it totally melted.

This may be the most amusing thing that has happened to my fortress recently.

I'm suspicious that changing the HOMEOTHERM of a creature wouldn't effect the creatures that have already spawned, but changing their ignition point is likely to result in spontaneous combustion.  You might have to do something like make their blood a gas at room temperature, so it'll cause their body to look at their ignition temperature, but I'm not sure.

...this may call for save-scumming to test.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 05:41:52 am »

From the thermonuclear catsplosion experiments setting the homeotherm that high would cause !!crundles chunks!! to go flying everywhere, resulting in a !!dwarven fortress!!.

Also, sigged.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 05:53:02 am »

Do you have temperature off? It may not constantly check the crundles temperature unless this is on.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 06:11:33 am »

So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Explosions, explosions, and more explosions. It's Michael Bay's Dwarf Fortress: Revenge of the Crundle!

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:12:08 am »

Temperature is on, they presumably wouldn't evaporate if it weren't.

From the comments on the 40d thermonuclear catsplosion, my suspicion is that, to streamline temperature code, it doesn't check for everything temperature can do unless the temperature changes.  This is usually reasonable, since the melting points of materials aren't supposed to change on you. :P

Anyway, a bit of fiddling around, and changing the ignition point of crundle materials results in all newly spawned crundles being on fire.  Also the corpse of any already spawned crundle spontaneously combusts.  Otherwise there's not much of an effect.  So if you've already got crundles on your map, I'd recommend boiling-crundles, as the results on them are a bit more amusing.  Once they're all cleaned up, switch to the spontaneous combustion variety.

Since the days of thermonuclear catsplosions something about how homeotherm seems to have changes, as I'm not even getting fire from new crundles with that.  Alas.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 07:25:46 am »

It appears it doesn't constantly check melting points against the raws or some such.  So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

I had a crundle have a finger severed, which caused it to die nearly instantly, and the cloud of blood happened to touch and adjacent crundle, who promptly started melting.  It didn't die from that though, there were also three axe dwarves in the area and it was dismembered in ten frame window from which it was exposed to the blood and it totally melted.

This may be the most amusing thing that has happened to my fortress recently.

I'm suspicious that changing the HOMEOTHERM of a creature wouldn't effect the creatures that have already spawned, but changing their ignition point is likely to result in spontaneous combustion.  You might have to do something like make their blood a gas at room temperature, so it'll cause their body to look at their ignition temperature, but I'm not sure.

...this may call for save-scumming to test.

No, it definitely will affect already spawned creatures, except in the case of acorn flies, oddly. I had a bunch of fires start on the surface i ended up having to put out with dfliquids
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: [1] 2