Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: >.> Can't figure this out!  (Read 5919 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
>.> Can't figure this out!
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:20 am »

Ok so I am trying, for the first time since playing the game, to actuilly form a full group where my leader, and his lieutenants, don't do anything illegal themselves(besides for maybe writeing in the paper if free speech laws get too bad). I succeded in getting my group, about 7 or seven hippies with high heart, low wisdom, and high CHA. but no matter what I do their juice keeps on getting 'locked' at certain points. Two of them managed to get to 150 before stopping, the others only 50 or so. How the heck do I stop this 'locking?' and how can I get my liuetenants to be able to recruit atleast 6 people? I've managed, through sheer luck, to find three people for one sword squad, two who can get 19 sword and one who can get the fully 20. But I'm stummped as for how to stop this juice 'locking'.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: >.> Can't figure this out!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:25 am »

Some actions only give you juice up to a maximum. E.g. spray painting on a site won't give anymore juice to anyone whom already has 50 or more.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »

Some activities don't generate juice either (like prostitution.) You can train LCS members in Leadership to make them all better leaders, but it's costly and slow.

Try stealing and lock picking. I find that to be a (relatively) safe way to get really quick juice.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 05:35:57 pm »

Yeah, Basic formula is the more risky/illegal an action is, the higher it's juice cap is. If you don't mind exploiting, go to the crack house/slum block/ghetto block and get in a fight with a teenager, then just punch them thousands of times till the juice goes up. Otherwise, go on raids, hack and just generally do Liberal shit.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:34:02 am »

I get my liberals to max juice by doing this. Go to the crackhouse or ghetto block and alienate the masses. Kill until people evacuate. Repeat until you have maximum juice.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:35:05 am »

If you're determined that you don't want to do anything illegal, your options are fairly limited (as far as I can tell, only community service is both legal and juice-giving, but it has a maximum of 0 juice). If you mean you don't want to do anything which will generate heat, you have a much better chance. Graffiti can boost your juice up to 50 (can be done very quickly as well); successful jury rigging will get you 25 points of juice, uncapped (i.e. up to elite liberal), but can be difficult with low stats. Destroying equipment at labs (i.e. releasing animals) or sweatshops, is, I'm pretty sure, heat-free, and gives the entire party juice. Similarly for stealing (anything) off the ground.

I really recommend you don't go the "nothing illegal" route, as you'll be severely limited in the number of people you recruit: 6 for your founder and 0 for everybody else. There is no legal activity which will give you the requisite 10 juice to recruit a single member, though some graffiti - and possibly some other minor activities - only criminalises you if you get caught (even then, only if you do it as an activity rather than in site-mode). And, even if you diligently refrain from ever doing anything illegal, if one of your criminals with low heart gets caught, there's a good chance they'll break in prison and get you hit with a racketeering charge (not sure off the top of my head whether it's the liberal's handler or the founder that gets it), which is a 'scary' charge with a decent chance of getting you imprisoned on its own - racketeering is equal to hacking (and publishing secret files?), escaping/assisting an escape from prison, selling drugs and arson. It's only less scary than terrorism and treason - too many counts of racketeering and your efforts of staying clean are wasted.

I'm all for keeping the founder free of the 'scary' charges, but I prefer to have them with maximum juice and skills anyway. When my founder gets caught, I can break him out of the courthouse lockup with a quadruplegic child labourer (which, obviously, dies in the process). My founder makes Macgyver look like he was dropped on the head as a child. That is greatly preferable to having to wonder whether he'll get the death penalty for loitering.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:14:42 am »

Ah, Thank you for the advice, it was extremely helpful, I think I'll go the heat-free way, and practice disguise/stealth as much as possible with my founder.
As a side note for the different seigers, mercs, cops, etc. What outfit is your best chance of getting out through bluffing with each?
Also does petty theft work up heat?
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 04:08:38 am »

Killing people in a crackhouse or ghetto block isn't illegal.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 04:33:48 am »

Yeah, although if you hang around too long a group of hostile gang members attackt the place
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 06:49:41 am »

Yeah, although if you hang around too long a group of hostile gang members attackt the place
Which isn't a threat as long as you stay around the exit and escape the moment the people start evacuating.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:22:26 am »

Personally, I find the best way to go through the non-illegal route and gain juice is by influencing juries. As long as you've been constantly talking to people, you should be able to get to around persuasion level 6 or so. Get decent security by picking all the locks in one of the apartments, and if you're paranoid, do a few runs with a black robe or something a few times so you can get disguise around a decent 4 or something as well.

Then go, influence the jury, and if you're confident, loot the entire courthouse building as well. It gives you juice, persuasion and law, disguise, and a good amount of theft (since you're looting the whole building). The best part being the persuasion and law bonuses. And recruit a few judges while you're at it too.

And yes, this isn't technically "illegal" unless you manage to piss off the jury; as with most theft; there won't be anything on the newspaper, nor any charges,

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 10:14:19 am »

And yes, this isn't technically "illegal" unless you manage to piss off the jury; as with most theft; there won't be anything on the newspaper, nor any charges,
If you could get charged because you do it, it's illegal. It doesn't matter whether you get caught.

Real-world semantics aside, there are one or two things which appear to only criminalise you on failure. There doesn't seem to be much consistency as to which they are. You'd have to read the code (search for functions criminalize(...) and criminalizeparty(...)).

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 10:29:31 am »

Just to repeat two questions and ask another, as well as thank you for more advice.
As a side note for the different seigers, mercs, cops, etc. What outfit is your best chance of getting out through bluffing with each?
And how many gang members can die before the crack house/ghetto/whatever turns into a safe house? I want to avoid it as long as possible
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 12:20:05 pm »

1: Dunno, I keep a death squad in each safe house who kill any siegers, but I would imagine that an army uniform or police uniform would be a decent choice.
2: I believe It does, but not enough to be massively noticeable.
3: I believe you have to kill a *LOT* of people, so it probably won't happen unless you're trying.

I apologise for all the inconclusive answers.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 12:23:09 pm »

Define "petty." AFAIK, it really doesn't. It's more that theft can trigger things which do raise heat. But stealing is pretty much totally exploitable. You can go back to the same place time and again, every day, and there's no tracking that makes it a bad idea, unless you did something like destroy property or kill someone. The only downside is when you do get that unlucky conservatives alarmed...and find the police waiting for you when you try to exit.

I don't think it's really based on outfit. Cops only accept cop disguises, ect... And whether it works is based on your disguise skill.

And how many gang members can die before the crack house/ghetto/whatever turns into a safe house?

Not sure. I don't screw with the crack house much, there's better places to recruit and make money. But not that many I'd imagine.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:25:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2