Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Megaproject Idea  (Read 1494 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
New Megaproject Idea
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:35:34 am »

Or maybe just a fort layout design.

Watch this and then do it in DF.  Bring all your useless stone out to the top/front of your fort and build up an ant hill!  Bonus points for building it crazy like the ants in this video!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: New Megaproject Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:52:11 am »

So, a sprawling, order-via-chaos style?  You'd have to do it true ant style.  Each ant acts individually, driven by instinct, with no real overmind.  So every dwarf would have to do what they consider in the best interest of the fort.  Namely, more stills, more barrels, and more sock industry.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:05:15 am »

Dude i remember this from a thread last year, people were complaining about killing the ants, turns out they *drove them out* except you can kinda see dead ants on the video... anyway
I like the idea, except to make a dwarven ant nest you would need to chain up any married female dwarves into your 'queens chamber' then make most of your other dwarves haulers/masons/miners and have a seperate caste of soldiers, and a caste of useless males you keep locked up for when you want the next to spawn...
erm, also you would need to pit all your useless males and ensure almost your entire pop is female for authenticity...
unless you mean just making your forts like an ant nest which is a good idea, but remember ant nests are designed that way mostly as ventilation, lots of narrow tubes everywhere to bring in fresh air, dwarves don't need that, so typical dwarven forts tend to be a little different... Maybe just think about the motivation of an ant every time you dig anything....
Ok now i'm ranting, I think it might look better if you make your fort like the cast of the nest they ended up with, i mean dig out your rooms, passages etc, but leave large gaps between your walls and then channel it all out, remove the layers above and below all your rooms so you end up with a large maze of spherical rooms suspended in the air by threads of wirey connecting passages....
or something.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:18:51 am »

I remember this. Also if you want more ideas, use the search function to find a thread of fort types and ideas. I remember listing a bunch of crazy ideas to make.