Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Magma mountains?  (Read 36720 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Magma mountains?
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2010, 10:13:44 am »

After some careful observations I've come up with a thesis on the "Hell on earth" bug.
I believe that a corrupted region save is necessary for this error. Upon embark, the file corruption modifies part of the BOTTOM of the map, like part of the magma sea or hell, to be above ground. causing one of two problems based on the level corrupted:
1. The bottoms of magma-seas  and adamantine, when genned, will naturally extend to the roof of whatever it is inhabited in. Problem is, when a tile is on the surface It has no roof, and either extends to infinity, causing spires and inverse volcanoes, like the one shown here.
2. The Underworld, when genned, I believe work downward from it's uppermost level. as a result, when they have a point existing on the suirface, will convert everything below it to heavy, useless, slade.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2010, 06:46:31 pm »

I've now been processing the game for almost 48 hours...  So I did some fact finding.  The tallest pillar of magma (And it's all solid magma, no rock at all) is 1181z, not counting whatever extends down 178z into Hell.

I didn't think to check at previous milestones so I don't know how fast it's bleeding off.  But it's huge.  It appears it's flowing into the caverns too, cause a pair of dead bat men showed up on the unit list.

Eerie glowing pit... tagged as Outside/Light.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Comparison from 21 hours ago to now
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aaaand it just crashed.

[PROFANITY]
Current Fort: NatureRags

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2010, 07:21:56 pm »

Delicious, delicious quantities of profanity in that case.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2010, 07:38:12 pm »

I went back to the old save, and it was removing about 20 z levels of the magma pillar every 24 hours.  Meaning it would take about two months for the magma to settle out, assuming nothing else spawned or disappeared to speed it up.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2010, 07:38:56 pm »

I went back to the old save, and it was removing about 20 z levels of the magma pillar every 24 hours.  Meaning it would take about two months for the magma to settle out, assuming nothing else spawned or disappeared to speed it up.

Less, as it started to pour off the map, but it would take a month to get to that point.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2010, 07:43:43 pm »

That's what I was hoping, but I think it was actually getting slower.

I took a look at the world for other sites, turns out there's one of these hell-rents in the earth smack in the middle of the ocean (You can spot them by looking at the cliff info).  All that magma + all that water...  but I'm going to wait until nanofort is back working, so I can do a 2x1 embark and not have to load a monster 4x4 site.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2010, 08:53:39 pm »

You know what would really help for these bugged sites?  If besides a 2x1 with nanofort, if you could chop off a few hundred or a thousand Z levels off the top and bottom.  Sure, it wouldn't be as mind bogglingly epic, but at least it would make the site playable.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2010, 08:54:21 pm »

cant you do a 1x1 with nano fort?  or is the 2x1 to give some spread room?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2010, 09:12:34 pm »

I say 2x1 because I find that pretty much the entire tile where this bug exists will both get drenched in magma, and descends extremely rapidly into hell.  But areas outside it are completely unscathed besides magma outflow, so I just pick one right on the edge and hope it's got some pretty good high ground.  So basically it's a fort on the precipice of the lava filled abyss.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2010, 11:54:03 pm »

Can't you reembark on this in a 3x3? That is nearly half the size.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2010, 02:51:37 am »

Hmmm, a 3x3, left to its own devices with temperature turned off, might be possible.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2010, 01:23:12 am »

One should check to see if there is a pattern to generate these "fractured" realms. If someone were to compile all of the map seeds for a given version of the game that generated regions of either dwarfish glory (ie. the space elevator) or of havoc and hell, and see if these generated worlds are actually seed related or bugs based off of previous plays and undiscarded game data that tricks the system. (Kind of like those old glitches in pokemon). If there is an algorithmic pattern or the likes, these types of maps may be wondrously predictable. Then the race is on for the most incredible embarkment site.    Dont get me wrong, this would be very tedious but most rewarding if there is indeed a pattern.

Or am I missing some point entirely?

And a separate thought... has anyone found one of these epic sites that also has a demonic fortress as part of it? Like in the sky or somethings? Can you imagine demons raining down from above onto your unsuspecting dwarfs who would have nowhere to run?
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2010, 01:45:18 am »

This is ridiculous. It would take a long long long long time to let the magma flow away. Geez.

Someone actually should...
...Anyone got a spare server computer...?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2010, 02:09:53 am »

Guys, trust me, for all those days since he uploaded the save, I have been trying.

Tried left, right, to the upper ramp.... Moving food and stuff in time is not that hard. What kills this embark is no mining skills.... This guy (whichever you make a miner) digs from 3 up to 5 (once got 6) squares before lava reaches them.

Safest ramp seems to be south-western one. Made a stockpile there, moved food. Never made carrying it inside in time.

Also, at some point I realised that even when I wall them off, I will have to play for months with such FPM (cause it's not FPS, seriously) untill whole inverted volcano comes to its mind.

Still, what is tempting me the most is that blueish space elevator. I so want to make dwarves gather around it and then make it collapse to get their burial under adamantite rain.

Oh Armok, such a suitable end for your sons.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 02:49:45 pm »

Can't you use runesmith to make him a legendary +5 miner?  Hell, you could probably mod dfliquids to just make rooms in the rock if you really need to. 

Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7