Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Magma mountains?  (Read 36703 times)

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma mountains?
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »

It's taking 20-30 seconds per step for me (@3.8ghz), temperature disabled so my dwarves don't all ignite and have the game end early.  It's eaten about 3 hours of processor time and my miner just finished his fourth square. 

And all my food got submerged cause there's a 100z magmafall that I didn't see until it dropped on the embark point... Anyone trying this, move your items south up one z immediately

Tried to run it in Overseer but it explodes after it parses about 60 levels.

I'm hoping to limp on long enough for a lot of the magma to level out and drop off the map.  Just gotta survive zombie mountain goats and the loss of most of my food and no water on the map...

EDIT: Didn't see the cave-in on embark... I'm gonna laugh if it falls on my dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:59:21 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2010, 02:38:51 pm »

For me Overseer quits after level 73, with an instance of std::bad_alloc.

Edit to avoid double-post: I tried moving all the goods up a level.  I failed to get the critical goods moved first and had the notion that it might be better to carve out some rocks and build a retaining wall against the flood of falling lava.  I had planned to build it to the north of the small pond, thus snaring some water along with hopefully a little tillable land.  This went even more poorly than moving the goods.  I set two of them to miner but only one dug.  He had dug out two spots before the lava was already endangering the location of the wall.

Tired of watching lava fall at 0 FPS, even with the process on 2.80 GHz Realtime, I gave up.  Hopefully someone with a more powerful CPU can make a go of this.   :D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:06:08 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2010, 08:45:15 pm »

I set two of them to miner but only one dug.
He only brought one pick. >:D
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »

I set two of them to miner but only one dug.
He only brought one pick. >:D

Duh.  That would explain it.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2010, 08:58:09 pm »

Molten rock on the surface, adamantine spires, chunks of ground suspended in midair and/or falling to the earth...

I think you're accidentally found Hell erupting into the dwarven world, heralding the End of Days.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2010, 10:15:35 pm »

I tried this and it was taking 18 seconds, minimum, per step at 3.9 ghz (And I was overclocking the hell out of my CPU to get it that high).  I got sick of it after I really hadn't gone anywhere after 3 hours.

I managed to save most of the stuff from the giant blob of falling lava death the second time around.

Also, why the hell did you only embark with one pick?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2010, 11:58:53 pm »

I just don't mind saving the mining stuff for later after the caravans come.  It's only really absolutely necessary for saving off some liquid water during winter in colder climates, and even then if you've got your farm going you can just brew booze through the winter instead; sometimes I embark with no picks at all.

edit: (Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis - when the world map hadn't even shown a volcano before embark - weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:13:38 am by Auto Slaughter »
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2010, 12:46:25 am »

I just don't mind saving the mining stuff for later after the caravans come.  It's only really absolutely necessary for saving off some liquid water during winter in colder climates, and even then if you've got your farm going you can just brew booze through the winter instead; sometimes I embark with no picks at all.

edit: (Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis - when the world map hadn't even shown a volcano before embark - weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.)

Well, that's true.  I just usually like to get underground fast.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2010, 02:16:55 am »

Coolness nonwithstanding, I believe all this strangeness happening in the 31. versions is a serious bug, probabily related to the cavern openness. And the adamantine space elevator looks a lot like Tartarus, the tower of the end. :)

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2010, 02:44:55 am »

3 AM... it's been crunching it for near 14 hours.  If my PC stays stable I'll leave it going a week or whatever and see if it ever catches up... problem is if it ever does, I won't catch it and all the dwarves will be dead.

I fear it has fallen into an infinite loop, something like genning magma at the top of the world and destroying it when it leaks into hell or something.

EDIT: Picture I posted in another thread (Warning, large)
Last visible screenshot
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:49:04 am by LealNightrunner »

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2010, 09:12:46 am »

This shares with the Adamantine Space Elevator the characteristic of having a scrambled netherworld.

Has anyone seen an upright adamantine sword or a Demonic tower in .16? I haven't been able to locate a single one on embarks.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2010, 11:10:11 am »

This shares with the Adamantine Space Elevator the characteristic of having a scrambled netherworld.

Has anyone seen an upright adamantine sword or a Demonic tower in .16? I haven't been able to locate a single one on embarks.
As the other thread said, plenty have.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2010, 06:22:59 pm »

Still going... PC went to sleep around 8 AM unfortunately though.

Curiously, it shed about 450 mb of RAM, so it's getting somewhere...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2010, 06:23:51 pm »

Gah damn it didn't work for me... Still thats a very odd character set...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »

DF Hack was able to issue a pause, and to my surprise, the game came back once it caught it in about 10 minutes.

22 hours 50 minutes of processing in:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Comparison of it at 3 and a half hours CPU time and 22 hours 50 minutes.  Yes, it took over 19 hours of execution to get that far.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: *crosses fingers* gonna save-scum it and hope it doesn't crash
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:13:44 pm by LealNightrunner »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7