Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Magma mountains?  (Read 36774 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: Magma mountains?
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2010, 05:27:02 am »

Man, I so want to make myself a liquid nitrogen computer JUST to run this game.  :D

Why are the best worlds the one that kill FPS the most, dammit!!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2010, 03:55:42 pm »

we coudl run this if toady implented the function to use more thant 1 proccessor at full capacity

Bromosapian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2010, 09:08:06 pm »

Bump, anyone have any progress on this?

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »

Those adamantine caps are actually space ships. The magma is their exhaust. They actually tired to launch in year 1, but they failed, and the magma cooled. The magma you see here is the final magma bursts as their magma-reactors finally die.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2010, 11:55:25 pm »

Just as a general question, don't cave-ins fall instantly? So wouldn't floating islands... just keep floating, or something?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2011, 02:20:46 am »

*Bump* after clearing out all the magma i'm getting about 15fps 9fps due to several magma falls at the map edges, including one thats 150 300 1000 z levels high.
heres what the embark looks like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
that red pile of rock is semimolten rock, it just sits there being all menacing and undigable, the dark square is the obsidian caisson i put around my wagon to provide cover from falling magma and skeletal goats.

a shot of the whole embark, you see more semi molten rock which goes to the ground and gradually tapers off to nothing a few hundred zlevels up, also visible is the 3 major adamantium spires which go right down to the magma sea(now empty) and also all the way to the top zlevel (z+1328) Z+1804
currently to make things playable i need to plug up holes in the magma sea and also obsidianise several magma falls on the edge of the map.
3d view of the surface, rotated to show the magma fall, note it extends about 80 levels lower and another 800 z levels up, but i can't get stonesense to take shots of more than 100 zlevels.

couple more shots to show how screwed up the bottom is
bottom level, about 4 levels of open space above eerie pits, you can see several magma falls along the edge
we see the first open area of demonic fortress, it's mostly filled with solid slade.
here we see more demonic fortress, a shaft 80 zlevels high with a lump of slade at the bottom, and also another magma fall inside it...

so if i leave stuff alone it will take a while to fill these huge open areas with magma, it seems i'll need to DF hack huge amounts of obsidian to plug the holes. a shame dfhack can only place single tiles of obsidian, i'll need to run a macro for hours to do it.

Edit: also note there is few areas where framarate slows to a crawl even paused, mostly around parts of the spires in the air. And sadly the demonic fortresses are imcomplete, no smooth slade, no upright sword, no chains or tortured elves etc. But at least hell hasn't been breeched (but the deamons will come out if i unpause after revealing)
edit: yeah glowing pits absorb magma, so i've just got a never ending flow of FPS death going on :s
edit: everything seems sealed *crosses fingers*
Edit: The top level is abit higher than i thought, i mist have been tired when i posted..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:52:17 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2011, 02:57:52 am »

One should check to see if there is a pattern to generate these "fractured" realms. If someone were to compile all of the map seeds for a given version of the game that generated regions of either dwarfish glory (ie. the space elevator) or of havoc and hell, and see if these generated worlds are actually seed related or bugs based off of previous plays and undiscarded game data that tricks the system. (Kind of like those old glitches in pokemon). If there is an algorithmic pattern or the likes, these types of maps may be wondrously predictable. Then the race is on for the most incredible embarkment site. Dont get me wrong, this would be very tedious but most rewarding if there is indeed a pattern.

I think one of the theories is that this kind of thing is caused by uninitialized memory, right?
If that were the case, then maybe we could control it by filling a computer's RAM with specific values before running DF.
Does that make any sense at all, or am I rambling?

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2011, 02:21:33 pm »

that would require very intense readouts from the machines of peoples' computers running the world generation while it runs. Unless someone has a way to predict whether their machine will do it or not, which is half the issue, its like shooting into the dark
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

JacaByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2011, 02:56:56 pm »

Unless someone has a way to predict whether their machine will do it or not, which is half the issue, its like shooting into the dark
I'm afraid you can't do that; you'll run into the halting problem.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »

Those screenies are damn beautiful. Possible to keep it going overnight and see if the magma levels out?

Actually, dfhack will let you remove all that magma, and the associated flow-tags, even if you have to do it a level at a time. But it should be possible to write a script to do so.

ExdeathV

• Bay Watcher
  • God damn boogeymen. Can't you just let me sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2011, 10:08:00 pm »

Armok has blessed your game you lucky bastard friend.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2011, 12:24:05 am »

yeah i thought i made it clear that i did df hack all the magma out, but there's all those beautiful magma falls everywhere that still need dealing with, I gotta thank the OP for putting the map to upload. as soon as i find a way of dealing with the extra magma flow i'll put the whole thing back on DFMA for other people to play with.
1800 Z levels should make a rather nice Barad dur for anyone willing to sink that much time into it, personally i might write a script to paint a nice 600z high pyramid from obsidian with DF hack then dig out a city from inside.... of course such a script would overwrite a significant portion of that beautiful adamantine... unless i get the script to make a mold, fill it with magma, go up a level, dump water on it, unpause, wait a bit, pause, draw a slightly smaller mold a level up and repeat...
edit: current plan is to patch up the underworld so that those huge slade filled areas become a new magma sea, and if possible make a underground drainage system and a river for the 3 kilometer high magma fall to travel through..
depending on how much magma each fortification can drain i might be talking about 20 whole zlevels surrounded by fortifications...
which i sadly can't dfhack so some lucky soul gets to do all that digging himself
edit: more magma is spawning at various places on the map edges whenever i unpause. and a large blob is still falling from the sky because i forgot to clean the top 300 levels, doh
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:13:42 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2011, 01:50:06 am »

I have no words that can describe the beauty or splendor of this. This is why dorfs can not have poets.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2011, 09:41:11 am »

You've won dwarf fortress. it's over.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »

Unless someone has a way to predict whether their machine will do it or not, which is half the issue, its like shooting into the dark
I'm afraid you can't do that; you'll run into the halting problem.

...No you won't.  We know that worldgen will halt, or at least we're assuming it will; the only question is what result it will get.  Finite time all around.  Also, the proof associated with the halting problem only shows that there is no perfect solution that will work for all programs; in fact every program with finite states can be solved by a program with a whole lot more states (I think O(n^2*log(n)) is what is needed, but I haven't thought that through in detail).

And in fact we do have a way to predict it, that is, actually run the worldgen (this works because we know that it will halt) - hence if we don't have a faster way, we could simply save a memory dump a few seconds into worldgen (including possibly the system clock?) and if the worldgen produces the results that we're looking for, run it again from that memory dump (this time paying more attention).
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7