Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A Terror to Behold: A Threetoe Story  (Read 73826 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Terror to Behold: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 09:00:52 pm »

It's a fantasy world, there's no need for realistic-but-boring emo teenage characters. But yeah, there's plenty of stories out there where vampires age like humans - purebloods vs the converted.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 09:03:56 pm »

:(:"Quit whining, Jimmy, and eat your fair maiden."
:o:"NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME!!!" (Locks self in room, starts blasting hymns from the stereo)
:(:"(Sob) Where did I go wrong, Vlad?"

This and Threetoe's story are the best things I've read all day.

Props to Toady's brother!

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 12:35:21 am »

gosh.

the stories should be compiled into a book with crayon/ascii illustrations. :v

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 02:17:33 am »

:o:"NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME!!!" (Locks self in room, starts blasting hymns from the stereo)

Shades (heh) of Carpe Jugulum, which had some similarly rebellious vampires. 

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 02:37:49 am »

GO TEAM EDWARD!!!!

sorry, I have a sister who is a twilight fanatic, and I hear literally no end of it.

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 02:49:26 am »

I liked this story, reminded me a bit of the Witcher, if you have played that.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 04:13:53 am »

Awesome story, kind of reminded me of the beginning of Iron by Ensiferum.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 10:21:31 am »

sweet we can harvest vampire fangs make them into bullets and fire them at our enemies.
instant exploding fiery death, with the cost of cave sickness and having pissed off undead ghouls wanting you dead at night.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 12:22:35 pm »

I will become a masked zombie killer at night! and a hunter by day! Until I get cursed and wander around having Fun!

This was a really good story :)
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »

Awesome story as usual.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 04:42:20 pm »

Adolescent vampires are easily explained. Random vampire omnomnoms an adolescent nonvampire, you get an adolescent vampire. Teenage angst eternal. Until one of his peers can't stand the emo poetry anymore and stakes him just to shut him up.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 06:14:54 pm »

I read it, slept on it, and have this to say...

I don't think it's Threetoe's best work. I actually sort of think it's in the bottom half of his quality levels. Is he feeling alright?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 10:51:07 pm »

I don't think it's Threetoe's best work. I actually sort of think it's in the bottom half of his quality levels. Is he feeling alright?

Well, you can't please everyone and it would help to list the problems to help the author. It's a good read for me but in could be that I tend to prefer more stories about undead than elves.
For my personal input:
Liked-
1. Imperfect hero. (I personally prefer seeing more realistic characters in a story.)
2. Different monster hunt. (Short hunt but interesting use of a curse. Why he has a black aura is never explained though.)
3. Use of enchanted items. (Use of magic items added more to the story but was most interested in the charm the hunter received from the fire allowing control of the monster.)

Disliked-
1. Unexplained villager hostility. (Hunter risks his life without prepay and he gets punched in the face?)
2. anti-climatic ending. (Hunter dies without explanation despite being an experienced undead-hunter and having defeated the monster twice.)

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
  • Buggrit, millennium hand and shrimp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 05:34:34 am »

Well, you can't please everyone and it would help to list the problems to help the author. It's a good read for me but in could be that I tend to prefer more stories about undead than elves.
For my personal input:
Liked-
1. Imperfect hero. (I personally prefer seeing more realistic characters in a story.)
2. Different monster hunt. (Short hunt but interesting use of a curse. Why he has a black aura is never explained though.)
3. Use of enchanted items. (Use of magic items added more to the story but was most interested in the charm the hunter received from the fire allowing control of the monster.)

Disliked-
1. Unexplained villager hostility. (Hunter risks his life without prepay and he gets punched in the face?)
2. anti-climatic ending. (Hunter dies without explanation despite being an experienced undead-hunter and having defeated the monster twice.)

Well, since another person got killed by the ghost after the hunter had "killed it", i guess they took him for a liar. Also, he didnt notify them on the death of the young boy.

Puglin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 07:21:44 am »

First up, and least important, I suppose; the title was a bit plain. Certainly not thought-provoking or symbollic; just really a depiction of the monster. Kind of like calling a slasher movie "A Madman Running Around with a Hatchet".

The writing style was okay (vocabulary etc.) if fairly conventional (cloak blowing open in the wind, etc.).

I did find, however, that the storyline did not perhaps make all the sense in the world. What it looks like is that the author had an idea in his head he was pretty excited with, and wrote down a story that made perfect sense to him-- what with his possession of what amounts to background knowledge-- but isn't neccessarily so clear when read by someone who Didn't create the universe in which it takes place. Entirely possible that I'm just a moron, but personally I would've liked certain nuggets of information to be made more clear-- why he's apparently indestructable when he's fighting the demon for the first time (he DID get pretty seriously stabbed), and yet perfectly hangable when the villagers get a bit cross (I get that perhaps he's just invincible at night time, but y'know... Tell us that).

I think perhaps a device would’ve been useful to indicate that the ghost is not, in fact, killed when Albert (^.^, Albert) stabs him and the sun comes up (by the way, one would think the villagers would be mightily confused if the sun rose early, but apparently not?); I don’t know, a wisp of particulate streaming away from the body of the corpse, observed with surprise by Albert? Whatever, I don’t know.

Also didn't see what was going on with the demon's heart-- it turns into a salamander, he puts it in his pocket and turns it to crystal. Later it starts writhing and when he pulls his hand out of his pocket (for apparently no reason-- I assume he was being compelled somehow, but he seemed pretty unfazed by the development) the salamander which may or may not have been made of crystal is suddenly a ring-- which Dandelion grabs straight away.

That brings me to my next point. The villagers in general are a little unbelievable-- Mr. Sods suddenly goes all agape when the stranger flashes a smile with a golden tooth-- even if that's uncommon, it's not exactly brainwipingly obscure. If I saw someone with a solid platinum fingernail (which I’ve never heard of before), I’m sure I’d be mildly curious, but I wouldn’t shit myself. They have strangely conflicting emotions (“WE ALL HATE YOU BUT PLEASE KILL THE DEMON AGAIN OR WE WILL ALL HATE YOU”), but my main beef villager-wise is Dandelion. “Look at me, I’m a silly bint, I’ll fall for you with no provocation despite the fact you’re a total asshole—oh, you have a ring? Of course I’ll marry you!”. I don’t particularly want to go into the unfair representation of women in literature because I would get torn to shreds and nobody would listen anyway, this being a heftily male-dominated forum… On the Internet… But personally, I just really found the character hard to come to grips with.

Basically, the recurring theme is, your idea was good and pretty interesting (the antihero protagonist was a cool device), but the execution lacked finesse. I would recommend taking longer to write stories and Definitely getting someone you haven’t spoken to about the plot to test-read it for you. Someone you can trust to be objective, mind.

TL;DR: LOL COOL STORY BRO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4