Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Diggles: The Myth of Fenris  (Read 91773 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diggles: The Myth of Fenris
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:34:15 pm »

Diggles: the Myth of Fenris is a game released by Innonics on 27 September 2001
The game was released in the rest of the world as Wiggles instead of Diggles.
The game is pretty much DF but side scrollingish and before DF.

pics:

They can build elevators and stuff, but they are just as capable of SCALING ROCK WALLS WITH THEIR BARE HANDS!

Builds character.

See those tower caps, Yeah, Fuck the dragon, we eat the tops and use the bottoms for wood.
Saddly the company went under and the game is I believe abandonware as no one owns it.

I don't know if we condone abandonware so here's a demo: http://download.cnet.com/Diggles-The-Myth-of-Fenris/3000-7562_4-10229587.html?tag=mncol;1

If we do allow abandonware downloads and one of you happens to have the english version and would kindly rip a copy I'd gladly put it in the OP here and give you credit for it.

This game occupied months of my childhood, it's great.
Oh and did I mention that your dwarfs can mount saddles on hamsters, and ride them.

DAT IMPORTANT STUFF:

The amazing 5fps fix and such:  http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37370
Thanks to Viken

The download, as the game is abandonware (legaly too I'm pretty sure) (If this is against forum rules, Toady or ThreeToe, could you please PM me to take it down or take it down your selves instead of closing the thread and banning me, thanks.)

http://isohunt.com/download/50551578/Diggles.torrent

Thanks to evanvolker

Oh and please seed guys, we wouldn't want it to take 14 hours like it might be taking some.

To get the game to work use: http://m0004.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_diggles.shtml
It works with the english torrent I gave you.
It also for me doesn't have the 5fps bug or anything.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:59:20 pm by Saint »
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Diggles: The Myth of Fenris
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 02:11:51 pm »

this game.. is.. beautiful
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »

looks interesting, it looks like it got bad reviews though..
...if your looking for a non-legit copy, i saw atleast one when i glanced around the interwebs.. i dont really want to post a link though... however i'm sure you could find it with a bit of effort...

Various reviews says it has tons of problems that might of been iron'd out by patches but the company died...

Amazon.com has a few actual copies left, as well as used if you actually want to pay the $50 bucks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:51:46 pm by Rift »

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:58:59 pm »

looks interesting, it looks like it got bad reviews though..
...if your looking for a non-legit copy, i saw atleast one when i glanced around the interwebs.. i dont really want to post a link though... however i'm sure you could find it with a bit of effort...

Various reviews says it has tons of problems that might of been iron'd out by patches but the company died...

Amazon.com has a few actual copies left, as well as used if you actually want to pay the $50 bucks.

I'm pretty sure it'd be legit to download a "linux distro" for it.
It's not like the company (saddly) is around to sue me for it.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 03:40:13 pm »

The real problem is there are some patches that fix the issues, but they are only in german.. Atleast i could not find a single english patch.. So.. Its kinda not worth the effort.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 03:42:13 pm »

The game is actualy playable in it's vanilla state honestly.
I managed for a good chunk of my life.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 04:16:53 pm »

The real problem is there are some patches that fix the issues, but they are only in german.. Atleast i could not find a single english patch.. So.. Its kinda not worth the effort.

In zat case ve zhal have to use ze zjerman verzion, nein?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 04:22:18 pm »

It is awesome.
The demo is great if you want a taste.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 06:55:49 pm »

I've played the game as in the english version, sense I don't know a lick of German, no offense.  Sadly, there are several outstanding issues, including extremely low frames-per-second with any GPU that uses DirectX 9 or higher, and I've manually had to turn on graphical settings from within the registry, which really kills the game if you're trying to play the campaign, which won't save the settings.

Other than that, its awesome.  Diggles is actually the game that lead me to DF. XD You can mine out your own area, train/equip fighters, go on quests and gather resources to build and train your dwarfs.   I believe I still have my copy, although I'll have to look for it.  Had it from as a ISO backup copy when my dad bought me the game.  Lost the disc some time ago, so I'm not sure if I have it anymore. I'll look though.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:20:26 pm »

If anyone can find it without the Framerate issues then I will be downloading it again, the framerate kinda killed it for me...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 07:23:58 pm »

I like this game but it takes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG to play and is so unbelievably slow.

I have nightmares trying to build the Dojo.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 10:40:27 pm »

Okay guys, I have to just drop this in for everyone who likes this game but wants a better playing experience on anything newer than a PC running Windows XP.   Mind you, the method described in the link I'll provide has you creating .reg entries, which may not be supported by Windows Vista or Win7.  I find its just as handy to open regedit and change the entries as-needed, sense they're automatically saved once the values have been changed.  Just easier that way.  But it allows you to play the campaign, access all of the 'real' graphical options, and change the frame-rate to something more... forgiving, like 25 or 30 rather than 5.  8)

http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37370

The forum there also has alot of other helpful tricks and advice, as well as cheats that you may need to just to play the game.  Handy, really.  You may need to make sure you're showing all entries from the beginning, instead of just that day, sense the forum has been dead for some time.  Good luck, and have fun!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 11:10:02 pm »

I am not sure I will give this game a second chance (I used to sorta own it back when I was signed up to a site that gives you access to a bunch of games for a monthly fee... which was a great deal at the time if I played more videogames) I mean... when I say nightmares... I mean huge unfathomable nightmares from beyond the grave!

Also NEVER dig more then you have to... Basically when you have the technology to use a resource it then becomes available. You can easily run out of resources before you even got the chance to earn them.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 11:20:18 pm »

Yea. The game is rather unfinished.  But you can get most stuff through the console command cheats, which makes it atleast playable so long as you have the registry set up that way. lol.  Even the campaign is fairly good.  ;D

As for the software rights, everything I've looked at says its abandon-ware, and isn't protected by copyrights anymore.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I went ahead and downloaded the full game anyway, so I'll be playing it a while myself.  Too bad it doesn't have a co-op multiplayer. That'd be cool.  8)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 02:01:28 am »

Since it's abandonware, I'm suprised nobody managed to get the sourcecode from one of the ex-developers. Could've breathed a whole new life into this unpolished gem.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17