Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #10: Feedback  (Read 51952 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #10: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 10:45:46 pm »

Toady seems to have the voice of a professor/teacher.

I swear I could lull myself to sleep listening to Dwarf Fortress talks. Helps also that it has soothing music too.

I'll have to test this out one day.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 12:48:31 am »

Toady seems to have the voice of a professor/teacher.
...a math professor? ;)
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

nkn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 07:07:27 am »

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate from this, but I think DF should get some kind of multiplayer, mmo-like mode. Honestly, I'm somewhat tired of playing current-state, lego-fortress, and I would like to have some challenge from other players. It can be charged to get some more safe source of income than those donations that seem to lower every month, and it will add a whole bunch of possibilities to enjoy the game. After all, if Toady could hire some programmers with that subscription money, it will only do good to everyone.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 08:27:22 am »

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate from this, but I think DF should get some kind of multiplayer, mmo-like mode. Honestly, I'm somewhat tired of playing current-state, lego-fortress, and I would like to have some challenge from other players. It can be charged to get some more safe source of income than those donations that seem to lower every month, and it will add a whole bunch of possibilities to enjoy the game. After all, if Toady could hire some programmers with that subscription money, it will only do good to everyone.

As always, answer is that this is One Happy Man Show project and not Today, The Frustrated Teamleader project.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23:53 am »

Thanks for putting in the time to give us this gift of insight into DF. I enjoyed hearing about the chickens and pigs. After mentioning the pigs being missing, you know you need to add them into vanilla right? For the good of all pig kind! Are there pigmen? Assign a pig to a hunter and the hunter can bring back truffles!

nkn: Multiplayer games require that a game be designed with multiplayer use in mind. Do you want to make toady start from scratch?

Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 11:03:10 am »

The best fantasy game podcast to listen to whilst washing dishes, thanks guys!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 12:25:49 pm »

It's funny he talks about "rolling dice." Is simulating dice rolls fairly common in computer RPGs?

Board games use dice because it's a fast way to approximate uniform or normally-distributed values, but the computer can give you a real number right away that you can distribute however you want.

(And I'm sure this is way too tiny to impact anything, but generating multiple pseudo-random numbers to determine the outcome of a single event reduces the "randomness" of the simulation.)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 01:24:25 pm »

It's funny he talks about "rolling dice." Is simulating dice rolls fairly common in computer RPGs?

Board games use dice because it's a fast way to approximate uniform or normally-distributed values, but the computer can give you a real number right away that you can distribute however you want.

(And I'm sure this is way too tiny to impact anything, but generating multiple pseudo-random numbers to determine the outcome of a single event reduces the "randomness" of the simulation.)

In computer lingo, the words "simulating dice rolls" equal the words "asking the computer to pick a pseudo-random number."  They apply to any and all types of computer programming if the programmer personally likes the metaphor of "dice."

Also, I don't believe I understand your suggestion about computers giving you "a real number right away that you can distribute however you want," implying in your last line that there was some sort of contrary issue going on.  If the programmer wants a distribution based on multiple pseudo-random numbers, then isn't that the end of the question?

--Rexfelum

Edited P.S.: Well, yeah, alright, I can see that someone might create a weighted sampling distribution that looks like multiple die rolls, and then sample from it once and only once.  However, I believe that the increased complexity of deriving a new sampling distribution for every new combination of "die rolls" outweighs its usefulness, in terms of ease of understanding, ease of translating to different uses in the code, and risk of errors.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:36:19 pm by Rexfelum »

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 01:35:26 pm »

.....For the good of all pig kind! Are there pigmen? Assign a pig to a hunter and the hunter can bring back truffles!......
i always wondered,where ARE the pigs..
i want to eat pork,damnit!
I am a Goober.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 02:53:51 pm »

.....For the good of all pig kind! Are there pigmen? Assign a pig to a hunter and the hunter can bring back truffles!......
i always wondered,where ARE the pigs..
i want to eat pork,damnit!

I boggled at the mention of the lack of pigs.  There are already warthogs!  Aren't modern-day pigs merely the product of selective breeding over generations and generations of domesticated boars?  I suppose you could say DF is missing boar; that much is true... but warthogs and boars are very similar as far as I understand.

On a more useful topic, it was a lovely talk, chaps.  Thanks very much for the insights!
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 05:16:53 pm »

so when chickens are in, in their raws, will they be able to surive having their head severed?

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/index.php

also when world gen starts which will come first the chicken or the egg?

really like this dftalk, the humour is ever improving.

interesting to hear about eagle too. I agree, we need more eagle, you could even say that 9/10 problems in a df fort could be solved with more eagle (cheap subsitute for magma).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 05:18:14 pm »

also when world gen starts which will come first the chicken or the egg?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 05:25:24 pm »

See it this way: DF is Kosher/Halal well except for some scavengers. But the biggest offender is out of the window :P
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 08:09:43 pm »

Hey Toady, could you guys put the Dwarf Talk on iTunes?
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 08:54:48 pm »

I hope egg-laying comes soon. I want to mod my DF with Team Fortress 2 stuff, and have Engineers running around pooping dispensers that grow into babby engineers.
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9