Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #10: Feedback  (Read 51891 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #10: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 11:25:35 pm »

Quote from: nenjin
"Can we expect bandit groups for this update as well, or will this strictly be the Night Hags and Trolls and what not?"

"Will villages get revisited once the Night Creatures are in place, or will you be moving toward the Caravan arc, which was mentioned in the talk?"

It seems like villages should at least have the building layouts partially completed before moving away from adventure mode again.

Hoping for bandits/goblin groups and so on, and the smallest groups would likely be the easiest official challenges overall you could take on for the good of a community in this release.  The larger groups would probably be up there with the larger beasts and would probably be a task associated to a higher reputation where you can bring more followers, at least if you want somebody to suggest it to you.

There will be shops again for this time, and perhaps castles in some of them or something, but not the overall town maps.  We haven't decided what we're going to focus on for November.

Quote from: Met
Hey Toady, could you guys put the Dwarf Talk on iTunes?

People can get it from iTunes if my email is any indication, but I'm not sure if you mean something more official?  There are iTunes tags in the RSS feed, and that seemed to be enough.  I kind of remember this coming up before, but most recently I just remember putting up the old episodes in the feed, which seemed to be enough to get them to appear in iTunes (again, according to email, I haven't looked myself and don't know what's involved).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 11:40:29 pm »

People can get it from iTunes if my email is any indication, but I'm not sure if you mean something more official?  There are iTunes tags in the RSS feed, and that seemed to be enough.  I kind of remember this coming up before, but most recently I just remember putting up the old episodes in the feed, which seemed to be enough to get them to appear in iTunes (again, according to email, I haven't looked myself and don't know what's involved).

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to with email and whatnot. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant as a podcast I can subscribe to in iTunes.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 12:17:23 am »

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to with email and whatnot. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant as a podcast I can subscribe to in iTunes.

http://www.manythings.org/podcasts/how_to.html

basically, advanced>add podcast then paste http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/b12_call.rss

you're welcome :v

on topic, I can't believe I listened to the whole thing. I really need to get back to essay writing aaaa

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 12:17:23 am »

I meant corresponding with people via email who were trying to listen to it on iTunes.  Somehow the RSS feed is involved.  I'm not really sure about the details, but I know people are listening to it through iTunes.

edit: wow, it didn't warn me somebody else had posted.  It must have been simultaneous!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:21:46 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 12:26:48 am »

basically, advanced>add podcast then paste http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/b12_call.rss

Ah yes. That makes more sense. Much appreciated.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 08:49:09 am »

Edited P.S.: Well, yeah, alright, I can see that someone might create a weighted sampling distribution that looks like multiple die rolls, and then sample from it once and only once.  However, I believe that the increased complexity of deriving a new sampling distribution for every new combination of "die rolls" outweighs its usefulness, in terms of ease of understanding, ease of translating to different uses in the code, and risk of errors.

I just think making the probability distribution "look like multiple die rolls" is sort of a weird thing to be doing in the first place.

I can see how it might seem natural to use dice rolls for someone coming from a background of pen and paper RPG's, it's just kind of funny to put it in a computer game when you have the ability to use real smooth probability distributions instead. Sort of like if you were writing a card game and simulated physical shuffling instead of just randomizing the deck.

I think libtcod has dice functions, I wonder if simulating dice comes from rogue or nethack or something.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »

I just think making the probability distribution "look like multiple die rolls" is sort of a weird thing to be doing in the first place.

I can see how it might seem natural to use dice rolls for someone coming from a background of pen and paper RPG's, it's just kind of funny to put it in a computer game when you have the ability to use real smooth probability distributions instead. Sort of like if you were writing a card game and simulated physical shuffling instead of just randomizing the deck.

I think libtcod has dice functions, I wonder if simulating dice comes from rogue or nethack or something.

The "dice" that's been refereed to aren't necessarily a D6 or even a D12, but when a "dice roll" is mentioned it's just meant that it picks a random number to determine an outcome.

Ultimately though Toady will have to comment to put this to rest.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:56:23 pm by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

pkmnfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 05:00:01 pm »

The "dice" that's been refereed to aren't necessarily a D6 or even a D12, but when a "dice roll" is mentioned it's just meant that it picks a random number to determine an outcome.

If I had to guess, I'd say most of them would be 1d65535 or 1d4294967296, as the situation warrants. ;)

That said, simulating dice isn't really that hard:

Code: [Select]
int rolldice(int d, int num) {
    int ret = 0;
    for(int i = 0; i < num; i++) {
        ret += rand(d);
    }
    return ret;
}

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »

Yeah, I figured that using the term "dice roll" was just a convenient shorthand for "bizarre range of numbers". Plus, its a tried and true way of measuring skill and luck simultaneously.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 06:26:02 pm »

Yeah, I figured that using the term "dice roll" was just a convenient shorthand for "bizarre range of numbers". Plus, its a tried and true way of measuring skill and luck simultaneously.

Like Diablo: 12-37 damage picked randbetween(12,37)   I've been fiddling with a tabletop idea involving prime number-sided dice. d7 ftw.  It could also be referring to a certain amount of randomness plus a static value. E.g. 1d6+4 isn't quite the same as 2-10.  It's a hell of a lot easier to track modifiers that way. 1d6+(mod1)+(mod2)+(etc)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 07:14:00 pm »

Let's keep the dice talk to a minimum, folks!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 07:36:23 pm »

Yeah, more talk on how great we are!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 08:07:55 pm »

Yeah, more talk on how great we are!

This is true, you are great.

I'm actually waiting for the transcript, as I'm mildly distressed to learn that I can't sit and focus on what I'm listening to for more than a minute or so. I just listen to hear your dulcet tones, really.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 03:31:28 pm »

as well as having creatures lay chairs [as if they were eggs]

Upon hearing that part, I immediately thought of a really old bug Toady once mentioned, in which a farmer picked up a bed and planted it in a farm plot.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 06:02:03 pm »

I'm pretty sure the language generators that we have now, that many people have used to generate languages for mods, can already avoid the "poop pepsi" problem.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9