Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: De-Ramp (for clean pretty water/magma channels)  (Read 7387 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
De-Ramp (for clean pretty water/magma channels)
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:39 am »

Download

Simple utility to fix the annoyances caused by the new channeling functionality.

Will scan the entire DF map for any ramps designated for removal, even those under water/magma.  Removes the ramp, replaces it with an unfinished floor of the same type the ramp was (grass, mud, magnetite, obsidian, etc, etc) and removes the designation.  If it can't figure out the correct floor type to use, it will leave the ramp unchanged.

Any magma, water, mud, critters, items, etc. which were on the ramp will be left intact on the floor.  Though critters get confused for a minute if they were planning to walk up the ramp.

Includes dfhack dll.  Do not mix in same folder with official dfhack 5.0.2 files.

Source code included.
Hats off to peterix for DFHack.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:47:55 pm by zilpin »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: De-Ramp (for clean pretty water/magma channels)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:24:46 pm »

I think I just had a dwarfgasm.

Stellar work, chap.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:43:50 pm »

Nice.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:03:52 pm »

*dorfgasms*

Nice, this will be useful.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:33:37 pm »

For those of us only recently come to DF, what behaviour, other than the cave-ins which I understand to have also been a feature of 40d, is it that this is supposed to fix?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:44:18 pm »

For those of us only recently come to DF, what behaviour, other than the cave-ins which I understand to have also been a feature of 40d, is it that this is supposed to fix?

In 40d, channeling removed a floor on the z-level of the channeling designation, and created a floor on the z-level below the designation.

In the current version, it creates a ramp instead. Many people do not like this and wish it had not been changed.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:54:13 pm »

Personally, I'm fine with the "new channel", even though it didn't solve any problems or add anything to gameplay.
Preventing cave-ins is a myth.  They still will happen if you're not careful.

I just wish Toady had put the old channeling in as another command.  "dig (H)ole" or something.
I tried to make a memory patch that added the command, or toggled the behavior of the channel command, but digging through the disassembly of DF was just too much.

I may extend this to permit a search-and-apply for other designations and tile types, for fixing map bugs or other problems.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 12:29:17 pm »

This looked like an awesome utility when I read the description so I downloaded it, but when I attempt to run it I get the following error:

Code: [Select]
C:\DF\dfhack-bin-0.5.0.2\dfderamp.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I am running winXP sp3.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 01:45:59 pm »

Probably a version problem with the DFHack dll.
I posted a new download on DFFD which included the dfhack dll compiled with the program.
Don't mix these with the official 5.0.2 dfhack files.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 01:57:59 pm »

Personally, I'm fine with the "new channel", even though it didn't solve any problems or add anything to gameplay.

I just wish Toady had put the old channeling in as another command.  "dig (H)ole" or something.
I tried to make a memory patch that added the command, or toggled the behavior of the channel command, but digging through the disassembly of DF was just too much.

I may extend this to permit a search-and-apply for other designations and tile types, for fixing map bugs or other problems.

One reason people dislike the new channeling is because the old channeling WAS its own command and we'd always had access to the new channeling, in the form of ramp designation.  Designate a row of ramps just below exposed ground, the dwarves will dig it out exactly as if there was a channel designation there.

It's always been a head-scratcher for me and others.  With all the things that are not working yet, with results that both make it easier to play and harder to play, Toady removed a feature rather than fix the reason that it made the game too easy.  I've never understood why, especially in light of all the things that "fix" broke in terms of fortress construction methods.  It could have been an init file option, it could even have been left completely alone because we could designate ramps if we wanted ramps anyway. 

I just wanna understand, Y'know?

Anyway, OT, Thanks zilpin, have definitely wanted a way to do this for a while.  Is it feasible to have it remove designated ramps that are not submerged?  Nevermind, just reread your OP.  Didn't see that the first time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 02:16:18 pm by Makbeth »
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 02:49:54 pm »

I posted a new download on DFFD which included the dfhack dll compiled with the program.

Still did not work, same error  :-\

I will try it on a couple other computers and get back to you, maybe it is just this machine that does not like it for some reason.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 02:57:08 pm »

This looked like an awesome utility when I read the description so I downloaded it, but when I attempt to run it I get the following error:

Code: [Select]
C:\DF\dfhack-bin-0.5.0.2\dfderamp.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I am running winXP sp3.

Are you using MSVS with /MD? try /MT
I recall having similar problems when deploying on Windows Server 2003

Xirr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 03:11:29 pm »

Seconded.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:56:30 pm »

I'm also having problems with "This app failed to start".
With both versions of Deramp, and hellhole digger too.

I'm on Windows Server 2003
All DFHack apps work without problems.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 04:33:59 pm »

I probably had the C++ runtime libraries set to dynamically link instead of statically link.

You can get them from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

When I have a chance I double check the compiler settings, and re-post as needed.

[UPDATE]

Forcing static linking breaks dfhack for some operations.  Not viable solution.

I have two confirmed failures, no confirmed successes.

Please speak up:
1) What OS?  Is it 32bit or 64bit?  Anything noteworthy about your computer?
2) Did it work out of the box?
3) Did it work after installing one of the microsoft downloads above?  Which one?
4) Did it work, do as expected, then crash on exit?
5) Did it piss you off so much you want to throw me into a chasm?

[UPDATE]
As of 311603, reported fixed on all platforms.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:37:38 pm by zilpin »
Pages: [1] 2 3