Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer holes & drainage  (Read 1157 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Aquifer holes & drainage
« on: November 03, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »

I simply cannot believe that aquifers are working as intended.  

I had a nine-square hole dug (through loam) into an aquifer, and I couldn't keep it drained with four pumps.  It would very often show 3's and 4's, sometimes 5's or more.

Given how slowly water drains, shouldn't water seep out of the soil slowly?

0x517A5D

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Aquifer holes & drainage
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »

They are supposed to fill quickly.  You can get water geysers in real life from the pressure.  That said, there should be tools at some point to deal with them more effectively, although some people have gotten through.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:01:00 am »

To be honest, an artesian well is powered by having a water table below a hill, so the water is powered by gravity and pressure.  Water in a flat aquifer has neither and should simply bubble out at a moderate pace.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

CharonX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 09:39:00 am »

I think aquifiers work rather fine right now.

It IS a challenge to (safely) dig below an aquifier and you are warned before embarking into a region with one.
Anyone who has ever watched groundwater seep back into a poorly isolated dig how can confirm how quickly that can happen.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

I was warned, but I didn't believe it.  My starting location had 3 biomes in it, only one of those biomes had an aquifer in it.  I thought, "Ok, I'll start digging on the other side, no biggie."  The aquifer is everywhere!!!  I've sent down test shafts all over the place, and hit damp stone three levels down, regardless of which biome I'm digging in.  Oh, the horror.  

Sure, the farming is going fine.  So far I've had enough wood for all the furniture I need.  And I've gotten lucky with rhesus, groundhogs and elk committing suicide by wardog, so I've got plenty of bones for crafts.  But my mason is getting fat and lazy, and the whole place is looking suspiciously . . . hobbitsh.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

quote:
Sure, the farming is going fine. So far I've had enough wood for all the furniture I need. And I've gotten lucky with rhesus, groundhogs and elk committing suicide by wardog, so I've got plenty of bones for crafts. But my mason is getting fat and lazy, and the whole place is looking suspiciously . . . hobbitsh.

So that's where the hobbits came from.  I'd always wondered.  :D

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur