Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: On Night Creatures and "Proper Burial"  (Read 9989 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: On Night Creatures and "Proper Burial"
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 11:36:34 am »

So let me get this straight.  Faced with the possibility of the angry dead rising in the form of zombies/spirits/wraiths, the first thought of the DF community is "pit o' undead," for the purposes of either training or horrific traps.

This sort of thing doesn't even surprise me any more.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Dral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 12:21:54 pm »

I didn't notice any mention of pet burial yet. Should a tightly closed door slow down a zombie dog? What about a squirrel revenant?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 12:24:31 pm »

pet burial
Thats like whole new meaning to catsplosion.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 12:28:54 pm »

Ooh, I'm going to make a pit of zombie elves and then make them eat their brethren.

I wonder how they'll like a taste of their own medicine.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 12:46:39 pm »

In The Sims, dead sims will haunt your house in different ways based on how they died; ones that died in a fire can set things on fire, drowned ghosts leave puddles everywhere, starved ghosts keep raiding the fridge and never stop being hungry.  With that in mind...
Magma dumping: fire wraiths.  Atom smashing: singularity wraiths.
I want singularity wraiths.  A LOT.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 12:48:39 pm »

Something always nice to have. A nice little 3x3 pit with a 1x1 spot to dump the bodies from. A floodgate (and the shaft) is all that sperates you from your zombie horde.

Blueprints:
Z=0
O===O
|+++|
X+++| (X=Floodgate. 3x3 space allows room for movement.)
|+++|
O===O

Z=1
+++++
+O=O+
+|.|+
+O=O+
+++++

Z=x (how high you want it, or need. Allow the corpses to remain intact if you intend to make zombies)
.....  (In any other case, just make it really really high if you want no undead, and no graveyard.
.O=O.  Then again, if limbs continue to move nonetheless, don't open this door to save your sanity.)
.|.|.
.O=O.

Z=x+1
.+++.
.+D+. (be sure to have access up here. D=Dump designation. Hatch is optional.)
.+++.

So, what do you think? Have this planted next to the elves' designated trade depot for more fun. You can try something similar to have an undead army take on the HFS.

Make things more horrifying, euthanize some of the population on their first year of life, and use them to assault trade caravans that only bring crap. Set them ablaze for mountainhome-brand imps.

Some of these ideas can make for interesting Adventurer traps. The Umbrella Corp. has nothing on the DF Community.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:02:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 12:52:43 pm »

So let me get this straight.  Faced with the possibility of the angry dead rising in the form of zombies/spirits/wraiths, the first thought of the DF community is "pit o' undead," for the purposes of either training or horrific traps.

The undead, like everything else our dwarves come into contact with, are simply another resource waiting to be harnessed by SCIENCE!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 01:43:31 pm »

The undead, like everything else our dwarves come into contact with, are simply another resource waiting to be harnessed by SCIENCE!

I'm gonna have to borrow that for my sig.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 03:01:00 pm »

So, stick the dead in engraved individual chambers, then seal them in with a wall?

Or just door them in, with the doors hooked up to a lever elsewhere. That way, you can use them as a last line of defense.

Perhaps burial by cavern-dropping, so they wipe out the beasties down there.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 08:36:16 am »

From the dev log:
An alternative form of memorial has been made available for those whose bodies you have misplaced.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 06:32:28 am »

This might seem completely excessive and stupid, but if toady is going to make zombiedwarfs/wraiths/all this other shit if the body isn't buried correctly (I have been giving my dorfs proper burials thus far, thank you very much,) then I think we should get something positive from burying them. Maybe full coffins could spawn friendly ghosts during a siege. Or vampire bats if the coffins have been exposed to a certain type of monster or fb.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 06:55:26 am »

This might seem completely excessive and stupid, but if toady is going to make zombiedwarfs/wraiths/all this other shit if the body isn't buried correctly (I have been giving my dorfs proper burials thus far, thank you very much,) then I think we should get something positive from burying them. Maybe full coffins could spawn friendly ghosts during a siege. Or vampire bats if the coffins have been exposed to a certain type of monster or fb.

This would ruin the game to me. This looks like a feature of some shit RTS. Maybe  If you could have acess to some obscure rituals...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 07:15:08 am »

The NOT spawning of undead should be a good enough reason to bury dwarves. Not everything should give bonuses, I like it that way :D. Also it would be too gamey/weird to get "friendly ghosts" for the only specific reason. Well, at least we don't have a soul implemented properly yet. I don't mind rare "friendly" ghosts, but their appearance should not be too gamey. They could appear randomly, or due to some random event based on their personality and soul. But it's not about the next release :P.

Also whoever said something about reanimated trees: back in 2d we had elven druids turning trees into treants, so eventually it will be back.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 07:37:08 am »

Are we suggesting Toady makes dorfs more sensitive to throwing the cropses of there loved ones into magma, therefor encoraging them to throw all the mugs around, destroying the priceless artifact mug, and causing the legenddary styone crafter to also get annoying, sooner or later leading to death fun?

Well ok...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:56 pm »

This would ruin the game to me. This looks like a feature of some shit RTS. Maybe  If you could have acess to some obscure rituals...

Agreed.  The more bonuses you give the player for "proper play", the more you limit them.  Throw adversity from all directions, and don't give an easy way out.

It's kind of like saying that since your dwarves can starve without food, you should balance that with bonuses from feeding them.  Mood modifiers aside, I'm not seeing it.  Don't reward the player simply for not screwing up; that's how you deal with kindergardners.  The reward for not screwing up is...not screwing up!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4