Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bringing Paint back  (Read 2411 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing Paint back
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 04:01:25 am »

My wolf avatar I normally use was made in Paint, using the spray paint tool. I have some other ones, but the wolf turned out best.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 02:28:05 am »

I usually never use paint for my stuff anymore. Photoshop, haha. But I decided, why not hearken back to those days? Even if only for a small thread...so I whipped this up just now.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 03:17:26 am »

My wolf avatar I normally use was made in Paint, using the spray paint tool. I have some other ones, but the wolf turned out best.

Oh really? Nice! I don't remember it super-clearly, but I recall thinking it was a heavily scaled down photo or something.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »

Gentlemen, Deluxe Paint > everything. Well, almost everything.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 07:50:35 pm »

Spoiler: "Lol. Paint." (click to show/hide)

Adriaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 01:52:18 pm »

MS Paint <3

Made my current avatar in paint.
Also, this website (posted somewhere in the +Engravers+ thread) is awesome: http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/

glitchpop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 09:06:04 pm »

MS Paint <3

Also, this website (posted somewhere in the +Engravers+ thread) is awesome: http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/

yes that website is awesome. wow.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 10:27:28 pm »

Ye gods, man. This is how you MSpaint!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:03:02 pm by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 10:31:54 pm »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 12:54:26 am »

MS Paint <3

yes that website is awesome. wow.
That actually inspires me to make some awesome pixel art (with a limited palette as well).

Another thing I remember coming across pixel-based was like a shared 3D map (also made with a limited palette) that everyone contributed their work making a whole picture. It was on pixel.net or something like that. I dunno, it's been awhile since I last came across that forum (lurker).

Regarding palette limits, I would say a 8-16 color maximum.

Heck, what other pixel-art challenges were there?

One other I remember is also a Gameboy "greyscale" (more like green-yellow to a yellow-brownish color; 4 colors. Those left some surprising end-results.

You know what we need? A challenge thread. I want to be creative, but with a challenge to keep it interesting. Hell, one idea that immediately comes to mind (considering the season) is an Eversion paint challenge.

Make 10 different palette sets (limit to 8 colors each (If doing a simple palette-swap, duplicating colors is allowed.), make a scene (whatever you like), and make each separate stage accordingly (retaining the scene setting). If you've played Eversion before, you know exactly what I have in mind. Lvl 1 = happy/bright/cheerful color scheme; lvl 5 = neutral color scheme; lvl 10 = evil/dark/miserable color scheme.

Final product can become an animating GIF showing the progression of the stages. You're not limited to making it Eversion-like (Sprite style). Do what you want, but keep the Eversion theme.

EDIT:
All other things considered, I want to do something with my Bloodfist. Make it more interesting than it already is. I could maybe expand it and make it animate moving. Maybe even have little dwarves moving around on/in it. The props will definitely move.

EDIT EDIT:
Not the same place I was previously talking about, but I figure you might as well check out the weekly challenges they give out for inspiration.
Pixeljoint
MID-EDIT:
Turns out I found the site (and remembered the name of it). Here it is, they have some interesting challenges and some really good artists too.
Pixelation

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Okay, I completely forgot how awesome Pixelation's artists were. They had some awesome challenges indeed. Small palette, theme, go.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Forget modifying my sig to animate. It's a royal pain in the butt to get it right.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:51:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »

Does Paint 7 have selections yet? that's the only artistic tool I regularly feel I need that paint doesn't have. But if it does in the windows 7 version consider me converted. Elsewise, GIMP.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 05:29:57 am »

There's a lot of nice MS paint art out there. Google will find you a lot, and I know plenty of sprite artists who swear by it. The people who hate it don't know how to use it :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 07:17:10 am »

Does Paint 7 have selections yet? that's the only artistic tool I regularly feel I need that paint doesn't have. But if it does in the windows 7 version consider me converted. Elsewise, GIMP.
Normal paint is the shit, Windows seven paint is shit. They changed brushes to behave like watercolors, which is the one reason I try something a million times in paint before I realize I have to use GIMP (and I'm terrible with GIMP.).
Pages: 1 [2]