Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In which I cook  (Read 1034 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
In which I cook
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »

Alright, after going the longest time with no real hobby, I have decided to take up cooking. I've many times observed my mother's cooking (very multicultural), and have developed a basic grasp of how to make food.

I will post my recipes here, if anyone cares, I likely won't cook more than once or twice a week, but each time I do I'll tell you how it went. I'll start with what I made last Friday.

I made this with baked sweet potatoes and a mandarin orange salad with onions, cashews, and chopped apples. Turned out to be a huge success with my family. This Saturday for the game, I'm making some Creole/Cajun hybrid gumbo, and sausage balls.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In which I cook
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:21 am »

"Sausage Balls"  :o 

Cooking is a fun little hobby though. A pretty neat skill to build that is always (Well, mostly always.) appreciated by friends and family.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:01:57 am »

Let me know if you'd like some recipes. I'm a little bit of a cook, myself.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 01:20:07 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing what other people have made, if not just to put my own spin on it. And I need a way to make sausage balls a little more Cajun, if you know what I mean. They're just a bunch of ground sausage mixed with grated cheese and flour, and there's already a whole lot of cayenne pepper in them. I need a good idea for a dipping sauce.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing what other people have made, if not just to put my own spin on it.

The majority of this thread is just people posting recipes, worth a link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64071.0

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:44:18 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing what other people have made, if not just to put my own spin on it. And I need a way to make sausage balls a little more Cajun, if you know what I mean. They're just a bunch of ground sausage mixed with grated cheese and flour, and there's already a whole lot of cayenne pepper in them. I need a good idea for a dipping sauce.

Put a mix of Black Pepper and White Pepper in them, alongside the Cayenne.

Dipping sauce: 4 cups mayo or miracle whip, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup crushed or puree'd jalapenos and juice, 1 tbsp black pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 2 dashes of paprika for color.

Seems like I may be forgetting something, but I guess you can put your own spin on it. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:21:58 pm »

Not authentic whatsoever tandoori mushroom chicken - a tongue-in-cheek culinary experience.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

Sausage balls and orange coffee. This thread is defenitely a healthy reminder that this world is a weird place. 
Then again, rotten fish and meatballs isn't much to be proud of. :D

I just made a pie/quiche with chicken, olives and feta cheese. While making the crust I was having a beer and some peanuts, and I thought:

"Hey! Peanuts is good. Piecrust is good."

So I mortar'd up some peanuts and threw it in the mixer with the flour and butter. The idea was for the peanut taste to complement the olives and feta cheese, which at least in my mouth leave a very similar aftertaste.
The taste didn't really come through as I wanted, but the crust was defenitely crustier than it usually is and the pie got eaten. Fast.

So maybe next time I will try the yankee abomination that is peanutbutter. 

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 05:39:35 pm »

Alright, time for an update. And MaximumZero, thanks for the dipping sauce. I altered it only slightly, adding a bit of celery salt and mustard. It went very well with the sausage.

As for the Gumbo, it's one of the most labor-intensive foods I've made. My sister is allergic to shrimp, so I put chicken in it. Everyone loved it. I served it with corn muffins with onions, corn, and green pepper in them, and the aforementioned sausage balls. It was served on a bed of rice.

I wouldn't recommend cooking from my instructions without a healthy bit of common sense. I haven't counted the servings this makes, as I plan on having the leftovers tonight. Just consider this a big ol' pot. Use your judgment on the size of the container. THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE TO MAKE.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 05:42:51 pm »

Hey, no problem, man. Have you checked out the other recipe thread yet? I need to write down some more recipes to share with you fine folks.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »

My next meal is going to be something much more simple than before. Because my mother grew up in Germany, I'm going to make Wiener Schnitzel, fried potatoes and onions, and a chicory and beetroot salad.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 10:59:56 pm »

My next meal is going to be something much more simple than before. Because my mother grew up in Germany, I'm going to make Wiener Schnitzel, fried potatoes and onions, and a chicory and beetroot salad.
im going to suggest sauerkraut and veal for that.