Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speeding up a megaproject  (Read 1695 times)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speeding up a megaproject
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:39:23 am »

I've heard of others increasing their dwarves speed so that megaprojects don't take as long, real-time.  How can I edit my existing save for this?  If possible I don't want to modify dwarves in future genned worlds, just the one existing save.  Thanks!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding up a megaproject
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:42:06 am »

I don't think you can do this, adding tags to a creature requires a new world. However, you could add the tag [SPEED:900] to the dwarf creature in creature_standard in your main raws folder and it shouldn't change anything about them, and if you decide that you need to speed them up later you will be able to edit that specific save's [SPEED] tag to something much lower(faster).
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:23 am »

All you need to do is edit data/save/regionX/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt and add [SPEED:n] (where "n" is a suitably small number - 0 or 1 will make them lightning-fast) to the Dwarf creature entry, then load the savegame. When you're done, remove the token and they'll return to normal speed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:01:13 pm »

Wait, could we also mod Dwarves to fly, be able to live underwater, etc etc?

>_> Would being able to fly really mess up the FPS (all the pathing options)

I mean how awesome would it be to have a fort that considers flying?  You could have huge spires like Coruscant or massive be-hive life forts with landing balconies etc etc.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »

All you need to do is edit data/save/regionX/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt and add [SPEED:n] (where "n" is a suitably small number - 0 or 1 will make them lightning-fast) to the Dwarf creature entry, then load the savegame. When you're done, remove the token and they'll return to normal speed.

Hmm, so if the raws for the game itself are vanilla, and the raws for the save have been modded, the fort's save-game raws will override the install's?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 01:32:50 pm »

Hmm, so if the raws for the game itself are vanilla, and the raws for the save have been modded, the fort's save-game raws will override the install's?
Only the save's raws are used. Hence the full copy.

I mean how awesome would it be to have a fort that considers flying?  You could have huge spires like Coruscant or massive be-hive life forts with landing balconies etc etc.
There are enough bugs there that you probably don't want to try. At best, flying will let your dwarves go over walls and avoid stairs (that's all tame fliers seem to do). You should be able to avoid swimming issues by making them inate swimmers, though.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 01:36:39 pm »

Only the save's raws are used. Hence the full copy.

There are enough bugs there that you probably don't want to try. At best, flying will let your dwarves go over walls and avoid stairs (that's all tame fliers seem to do). You should be able to avoid swimming issues by making them inate swimmers, though.

I made them innate swimmers once, and then they decided the aqueduct was a good road, forgetting the strong current, and every single one (read: 142) of my Dwarves decided they were going to either fall or get washed into or whatever it was the big hole at the end of the aqueduct and fall 40 z-levels to their death.  All within 10 minutes of each other.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 01:38:16 pm »

[LEMMING]?
Current Fort: NatureRags

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:29:10 pm »

I have modded the [FLIER] tag into some of my more progressive megaprojects. It seems to path normally, but the dwarves take shortcuts around things (or in most cases, over things).
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:35:56 pm »

Yeah, the game can't actually handle very different modes of pathing. It just builds this one map to say what areas are connected or not and then all of the real pathing takes place within that (so they don't have to think about "I can't walk through walls" type stuff.)

For example: Even if you make them amphibious or such you won't be able to get them to hop in the ocean and mine a hole in the bottom of it.

Mostly creatures that can move in ways dwarves can't just kind of randomly wander in it until they either have something to attack come near them or they find themselves in normally pathable places.

This whole simplification is the reason we have things like livestock continually trying to go through pet impassable doors, but at the same time the game wouldn't run nearly as fast without it and with the full complexity of pathfinding for what units are technically capable of would really bring the game to it's knees even on the best computers.

Edit: And for the record- adding tags NEVER required a regen. Well, at least not since 40d anyway. About the only time you had to do that was if you wanted to add or remove whole entities (such as cougars or cave swallows.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:38:07 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:02:12 pm »

Edit: And for the record- adding tags NEVER required a regen. Well, at least not since 40d anyway. About the only time you had to do that was if you wanted to add or remove whole entities (such as cougars or cave swallows.)
Editing civs seems to require a regen. Or that tool that someone posted.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:33:48 pm »

Editing civs seems to require a regen. Or that tool that someone posted.
That could mean a lot of things. People add reactions mid-game all the time and you've got to go into the actual civ file and add in something to say that civ is allowed to use it. For awhile I used to go in and mess with goblin raws to cripple them when they attacked (I should have just turned invasions off while I was learning everything else.)

So what about changing civs takes a regen?

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 07:40:37 pm »

People add reactions mid-game all the time and you've got to go into the actual civ file and add in something to say that civ is allowed to use it.
Hasn't worked for me.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

If you have added the reaction itself in the reaction file and allowed dwarves to use it in the civ file it ought to show up. I hear that there's just some bad luck where it will refuse to but I've had it work every time I tried.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 10:57:44 pm »

Just a word of warning about the speed thing: making your dwarves go faster WILL cause the game to go slower. I tried this in year 40 or so of my last 40d fort, the map was so processor-heavy to begin with that the dwarves stayed the same speed and everything else slowed way down.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2