Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo!  (Read 8924 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
NaNoWriMo!
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:25:52 pm »

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Can you write a 50,000 word novel in a month?  Of course you can!  And right up there is the place to sign up :)  50,000 words is around 200 pages, depending on the format, give or take.  I'd certainly like to try this, granted I find a job to do during that time...

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:38:37 pm »

"Ned Flanders sucks"
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:47:25 pm »

o_O?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »

We had a semi-successful Script Frenzy around here when that went on (I got a job halfway though so I never got to see how my own thread progressed and how well everyone went!). I don't know if I'll have the time to take part in NaNoWriMo this year but good luck to all those who do.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 05:46:36 pm »

I want to join, let's hope I can actually get something done this time. :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 09:20:04 pm »

I almost won last year - I couldn't write the last day because my cat died. :-\

I recommend Nano to everyone who likes to write fiction. It's a hectic, tiring, awesome experience.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:22:09 pm by Flaming Dorf »
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Mr_Ham97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:00:48 pm »

I'm doing it if college doesn't get too busy. This will be my first year because I only heard about it last December. It'll also be my first attempt to ever write something over 2000 words, and for fun at that. I passed out of English 101 and I didn't get to write creatively at all in English 102 but I got an A (and it's not like my professor was easy) so hopefully I'm a good writer. And for this I don't have to find credible sources for all my information, so that's a huge bonus.

I think I'll write a fantasy parody that's not ripping off Discworld but it could turn into a serious sci-fi by the end for all I know.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:01:06 pm »

I won last year... it was one of the most fantastic things I have ever done. Gotta come up with a story for this round! :D

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 11:11:50 pm »

You know, I'd completely forgotten this was coming up. I've been making notes for a novel since about March but I've kinda stalled out recently, so this is perfect. Thank you for a timely reminder.

I passed out of English 101 and I didn't get to write creatively at all in English 102 but I got an A (and it's not like my professor was easy) so hopefully I'm a good writer.

"Good" is a second draft concern. Especially when you're trying to write 50k in a month. Even working from an outline it's difficult to punch out something that isn't a complete mess. I wrote a novella a few years back and entire scenes needed to be cut or reworked. And I spent like five months on the thing.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:29:54 pm »

Signed on
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 11:32:00 pm »

http://writeordie.drwicked.com/

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

If you have your own system for keeping your focus on your writing, cool. If you don't, writeordie is a motivational tool you might want to take advantage of.

I know what I am working on for mine this year, and I am hoping to succeed. Or at least get really really close to succeeding.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Mr_Ham97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 11:52:51 pm »

"Good" is a second draft concern. Especially when you're trying to write 50k in a month. Even working from an outline it's difficult to punch out something that isn't a complete mess. I wrote a novella a few years back and entire scenes needed to be cut or reworked. And I spent like five months on the thing.
Yeah, I know; quantity over quality and all that. I just haven't written anything even remotely near this length before so what I mean is forgetting about foreshadowing and which things can do which things and all that. Although I'm currently writing an outline so that'll probably help a lot with keeping the plot straight.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:36 pm »

No, never keep the plot straight. Draw a scenic vista with it. Use it to create an image of staggering beauty, far beyond the grasp of reality. If your readers believe in magic, they will discover the meaning within.

That or you'll frustrate the hell out of people.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mr_Ham97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 12:01:54 am »

Well most people don't believe in magic so I don't think that'll really work.

Also an outline will help me a lot with at least knowing what the basic plot is and all that, as well as just me writing down ideas that I'll probably forget by the time November rolls around.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 12:02:59 am »

Hey, what are you guys planning to write about?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7