Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo!  (Read 8967 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo!
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 12:50:10 am »

IT'SSSSSSSSSSSSSS TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME

Tweed jacket on my torso. Bow tie on my throat. Pet rock on my desk. IT'S PRETTY MUCH NANOWRIMO.

And then nanowrimo.org was down.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 08:15:39 am »

I may as well commit to doing this in this thread, hopefully I can get somewhere with this but I definitely won't if I don't try!

Good luck people, as it is now past mid-day, I am now 833 words behind (at least).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 09:00:34 am »

I'm thinking about writing a Dash Gunmetal novel, but writing it badly on purpose (What Dash Gunmetal was intended for) seems like cheating, and I highly doubt I can write a serious novel about a psychic vampire cowboy who's always wearing sunglasses, even after he takes them off.
Shoes...

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 12:29:25 pm »

I am currently of the intent to write a book called Guardian.

You could think of it as a look behind the scenes of a video game, from the perspective one of the later bosses.  Something like that, at least.

This is mostly just to challenge me to get back to writing, as I've been busy with other stuff lately and need to get back in the zone.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »

A book to get you back into writing? That's... cool, I guess. For me even a short story is a good enough exercise.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 01:09:06 pm »

Good luck to the lot of you. If I weren't traveling a bunch this month I would be joining in.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 04:01:49 pm »

Who knows?  It's just as likely to wind up as a short story, but if I can make myself write out a whole book, it's good practice.

Speaking of books, though, it's time to post another update!
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 04:12:11 pm »

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »

The timer sears my soul. I plan on writing this year, but as a bet against my English teacher rather than actual part of the competition. I made a pretty good foray today. I've gotten about 2000 words and I lack a great loathing for most of it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 10:57:27 pm »

Yeah, the timer isn't always conducive to writing, considering it makes most people's brains turn off, even if it prevents procrastination. I find it odd people treat ~200 pages like a large amount, unless they only write on weekends.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 11:02:01 pm »

I'm doing it to get myself started on writing for the first time.  I desperately need to write more, I actually have a degree in writing and people can kick my butt with their recreational writing.

Monsterfurby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 12:02:41 am »

2874 done.. Pretty discouraging, considering I already had this story at around 12,000 when I decided to redo it entirely. Ah well, there's still plenty of time left in the month.

Also, next year, this forum should try to start a Dwarf-Fortress NaNoWriMo story. Cooperatively, maybe even as a writeup of a community fortress.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:05:37 am by Monsterfurby »

Erzrzore gur Vapvqrag.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 12:36:48 am »

You're lucky. I only just learned of this an hour or so ago, and really want to participate. You have a 24 hour advantage *and* a plot to start from.
Eh?
Eh!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 12:41:22 am »

I'm doing it to get myself started on writing for the first time.  I desperately need to write more, I actually have a degree in writing and people can kick my butt with their recreational writing.
  A thought: unless you're going to be writing about writing you shouldn't think about writing while you're writing. Most people doing writing for fun are going to have thoughts about their lives and the lives of others flying around, instead of thoughts about "writing". Of course, the good books are made by writers who combine the two states of mind (among other things). However, I don't quite know the minds behind masterwork books, but that is part of what makes them masterworks. The author doesn't exist in the world he makes, so why would you see anything about him?

Also!
...has two theories about literature, and one set of instructions on how to write it.
    First theory: "The Cool Stuff Theory of Literature is as follows:
All literature consists of whatever the writer thinks is cool. The reader will like the book to the degree that he agrees with the writer about what's cool. And that works all the way from the external trappings to the level of metaphor, subtext, and the way one uses words. In other words, I happen not to think that full-plate armor and great big honking greatswords are cool. I don't like 'em. I like cloaks and rapiers. So I write stories with a lot of cloaks and rapiers in 'em, 'cause that's cool."
    Second theory: "The novel should be understood as a structure built to accommodate the greatest possible amount of cool stuff."
    How to write like [the author]: "It's really simple. What you do is put up a sign on whatever wall you face when you're writing. The sign says;
And now, I'm going to tell you something really cool.
Guess who.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7