Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo!  (Read 8970 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: NaNoWriMo!
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »

It's not "the outline trap" because it's an assignment for a novel-writing course in college, so... I do actually have to finish, and he said "detailed outline."

Ahh, that's tough. I can't imagine writing an outline in such a way as to have it make sense for anyone but me. That'd require consistency and linearity.

"Gimme a second, I'm editing my outline."
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2010, 08:58:09 pm »

Doesn't help that I don't do outlines.  Ever.  Not even for essay courses.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2010, 09:10:08 pm »

Thanks to the TVTropes plot generator, I have a really cool idea for a throwaway story full of meaningless symbolism and subdued humor.  I'm sure as Hell not going to write 50000 words in twenty one days, especially with three essays to write in the meantime, but I think I can take a serious crack at this.  Thanks peeps, for finally spurring me on to a hobby I can be proud of, and trying to write something I'd actually want to show other people.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2010, 06:20:06 pm »

Ugh, having a rough time.  I took four days to visit some friends, and naturally, I'm four days behind.  Currently sitting at 9,000 words, and I should have 18700 by now, ouch.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2010, 07:17:26 pm »

Don't worry so much about it. The whole 50k thing is exceedingly arbitrary anyway. I figure if you end up finishing your novel in January you still won. Hell, if you end up writing 20 days of 30 you still won. Writing is the important part.

Besides, unless you're really serious about writing it should be more about enjoying yourself than beating yourself up for missing deadlines.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2010, 01:04:24 am »

Heck, if I were you, I'd take my time, get it done by the end of January, and enter it into ABNA instead.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2010, 11:00:58 pm »

I wrote this today instead of my novel month novel. Partially out of penance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Think I will burn the novel and continue this.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:35 pm »

I'd be on this if I actually had something to write about. My thoughts don't translate well into text.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:34 pm »

I just hit 50,000 for the first time. I've tried for about three years now, and this is my first success.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2010, 10:00:33 pm »

Damn. I'm a month late and 50,000 words short. I guess I am going to have to wait until next year to try this. :-[

Well I guess there are still 2 days left, but do I have the balls to write a 50,000 word novel in two days?

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:31 am »

I just hit 50,000 for the first time. I've tried for about three years now, and this is my first success.
I don't think I can put it strongly enough, but I need to read it!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2010, 10:01:49 am »

I'm only comfortable with showing 40 pages of it, as most of the rest of it was frantic trying to get words on the page. I started this NaNo with an entirely different concept, and 10k words in realised that I couldn't bear writing it anymore. Since I was only 9 days in, I restarted. I wrote a total of around 60k words this month, and as I was also working full time it was rather harrowing. Most of it is utter dreck, but forms a skeleton for editing that I can work with.

I'll PM you with a link to what I am showing off from it because I am putting it somewhere I can keep a better amount of control over its visibility when I decide to upload it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2010, 10:47:44 am »

I'm looking forward to it!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2010, 11:39:45 am »

Congratulations Willfor. Well done. I was working full time this month, and stumbled at 3000 words ...

I also would be interested in reading what you have done, so if you feel compelled to share please do. If not though, good luck in whipping it in to shape.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2010, 02:24:41 pm »

As NaNoWriMo ends, I realize that I stopped working on my book as soon as it started and haven't worked on it since. I think you guys stole all my enthusiasm.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7