Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo!  (Read 8966 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo!
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 12:44:44 am »

-stuff-
Do tell, please. I saw that quote, and began spreading it around as something awesome, but I've never seen the attribution. I'd like to know who said it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 12:49:34 am »

Well, he made it clear he learned the sign from someone else. Perhaps Niel. Here's a link on it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:54:17 am by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010, 03:36:42 am »

3,824 words so far.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2010, 03:57:58 am »

Tempted to join in, but I have so many irons in the fire already, plus school to worry about. I do have a neat little Soft SF idea I played with a few months back; something in the vein of Twilight Zone:

I'll weight my options tomorrow, though I'd have lots of words to catch up on if I were to start, and that would probably keep me from being able to run the Deserted Island Game I've been putting together to run here.

Decisions, decisions.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2010, 07:29:34 am »

I'd read it. It's a wonderful asset, having dreams coherent enough to turn into stories. It usually takes a lot of polishing for me to even get a workable idea out of a dream, much less that much detail.

For those of you striving for victory, will we get to see excerpts and such here?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:33 am »

Okay, first 700 or so words of Guardian, just thrown out as an experiment. 

Spoiler: Guardian (click to show/hide)
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2010, 01:28:46 pm »

I'm considering it.  4532 words so far.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 11:57:12 pm »

5891 words done.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2010, 12:18:34 am »

[...]
  So many paragraphs for so few words on purpose? It doesn't look like it needs it for any reason.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010, 03:45:03 am »

5891 words done.

Cool. You'll have it done for the weekend ...

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010, 08:53:46 am »

[...]
  So many paragraphs for so few words on purpose? It doesn't look like it needs it for any reason.

I suppose it's deliberate.  My style tends to be pretty sparse on description, resulting in fewer words per paragraph, and I change paragraph whenever there's any break in what I'm saying.  Makes it easier to follow with the eye, and when I started doing it, I got a number of compliments - that was about seven years back, and you're the first to comment on it since then.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2010, 12:11:57 pm »

Sitting at 4,699 words, need to be at 6800 by the end of today.  Then I'll be leaving for a four day trip :X  I really really don't want to fall behind...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:05 pm »

Writing an outline.  Oh god, it's 14 pages long and I'm only a third of the way through.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2010, 01:07:42 pm »

Writing an outline.  Oh god, it's 14 pages long and I'm only a third of the way through.

Jeeesus. Does that include snippets about characters and settings or is it only a scene breakdown?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2010, 01:41:45 pm »

Jeeesus. Does that include snippets about characters and settings or is it only a scene breakdown?

Yeah, it has a lot of notes on the characters' internal reactions, whether or not is was raining, and so on.  There's even a description of someone's shirt cuff in there.  Dialogue.  It's a very fleshed-out skeleton of everything that happens, so that the direction and motivation of each scene are completely clear.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7