Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Guilty pleasures?  (Read 74300 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Guilty pleasures?
« on: October 12, 2010, 05:14:11 pm »

Well this is something that's been bothering me and I just wanna come out and say things along with maybe finding a bit more out about you guys too.

Some people that talk with me at length know me as a fan of Fantasy story's, literature, and overall themes. Despite the fact that as much as I like this stuff I can't bring myself to admit it to most people. Why? I'm not totally sure. It could be because it seems childish, a grown woman liking tales of dragons and knights and magic and elves and stuff. It could be simply because I see a bias against it and don't want to be lumped into it. It probably does honestly boil down to peer pressure and wanting to be accepted. Ill admit one really close friend said something at one point that made me back away from working on something fantasy themed I'd been planning , so it probably is that.

Some of you might remember me mentioning that people should have nothing that falls into this. I still agree but I can't shake the feeling. It's something I want to like and do more stuff involving but I can't make myself. So on one hand I have something I know I enjoy from the limited exposure I've allowed myself in private but it keeps having this effect on me no matter how I look at it. Which is something I hope I can kick by being open about it and putting it out so literally anyone can see it.

Someone also might ask why this isn't in life advice since it looks like it might be an attempt to fix this. But really I just want it out there. And at that I want to see how other people are dealing with their own issues hopefully. So it's not really a fit there as this is more a topic to discuss how this happens and hey, if anyone wants to help anyone out go right ahead.

And another small one most people know about me already. Elves > Dwarves all the way. I even prefer Toadys obviously made for hate Elves more than the Dwarves in DF simply because they aren't Dwarves. Yes this makes me racist to a fantasy race.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:32:16 pm »

I still go to scouts every week.

And sometimes eavesdropping.  Not really intentionally - just if some other people are talking near me, I sometimes tune in to their conversation and discard it afterwards.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »

I finished my tenure in Scouts by going through Venturers. It was a fun time.

My guilty pleasure is mast-

ering the art of fencing.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:40:41 pm »

Some people that talk with me at length know me as a fan of Fantasy story's, literature, and overall themes. Despite the fact that as much as I like this stuff I can't bring myself to admit it to most people. Why? I'm not totally sure. It could be because it seems childish, a grown woman liking tales of dragons and knights and magic and elves and stuff. It could be simply because I see a bias against it and don't want to be lumped into it. It probably does honestly boil down to peer pressure and wanting to be accepted. Ill admit one really close friend said something at one point that made me back away from working on something fantasy themed I'd been planning , so it probably is that.

At a certain point, I just said screw it, no shame. I tell people point blank what I like, including women I'm interested in dating. If they can't handle it, meh, didn't really need to know/date them anyways. I've met tons of incredibly talented, successful, fun people who have made their lives gaming and fantasy. I decided that's the life I want to have, and fuck anyone that wants to laugh about it or think less of me because of it. Dig deep enough and you'll find the same general stuff littering most people's lives. Take sports nerds for example. Get them going about sports and they'll start yammering until it's like they're talking in tongues. What separates a sport's nerd from a gaming nerd? Perception, and the fact one claims their hobby is some how more masculine or socially acceptable. And they'll say it while on their way to join a Fantasy Football League, or plop down on the couch to yell at the TV.

So eh. Everyone's a nerd, just pick the hobby/pursuit/field and you'll find one.

My guilty pleasure would probably be....the 4th of July. I'm coming up on 30, and I still enjoy playing with fireworks in an unsafe way. I can't help it. There's something about throwing fireworks into things not meant to explode that gives me some primordial, savage pleasure. Or covering them in electrical tape or taping multiples together, or throwing fireworks into the air with only an "ok" idea of what's going to happen with them.

I'm not on the most extreme end of things like my friends and I used to be back in highschool....but the way I enjoy the 4th would horrify most parents, and has scared some people off of celebrating the 4th with our group. What can I say? Would it really be an American holiday if there wasn't the potential for injury? It's like it prevents people from getting too hammered. Anyone too messed up to react fast enough to "incoming!" probably shouldn't have drank that much at one of our outings.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 05:42:26 pm »

My guilty pleasure would be the numerous Web serials I read.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:46:04 pm »

My guilty pleasure is looking though Realmfighters window when he sleep. Staring at him as his chest rises and falls.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »

There is a giant blind over the only window.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 05:47:41 pm »

Huh.

I think I need new glasses.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 05:48:51 pm »

My guilty pleasure is mast-

ering the art of fencing.

A guilty pleasure is something you enjoy but don't think you should be proud of.  Having anything to do with fencing should be a good thing, whatever you were trying to imply with that weird typing.

Guilty pleasures eh...  I think I've mentioned it before, but I am to this day a die-hard fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, games and more.  Why?  I don't even really know.  Nostalgia basically.  I call this a "guilty pleasure" because it's pretty damn hard to justify, especially the "and more" part, for a man over the age of twelve.  But then, I guess that's the point.

Since the whole license has been rapidly petering out over the last couple years, it's gotten easier to avoid talking about it, but for a time, I made a point of checking myself before bringing up Sonic games in videogame (or otherwise) conversations, because I knew nobody on Earth gave a shit but me, except for a dwindling herd of freakballs on DeviantArt I'd rather not be associated with anyway.  That's the other reason I call it a "guilty pleasure", because I don't want to be associated with anybody else's image for something I have a lingering fondness for.

I'm already imagining that I'll regret this post, because I'm making my boyish love of an old franchise sound a Hell of a lot deeper than it really is, but fuck it, I don't give a shit.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:49:22 pm »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:18 pm »

Since I have huge "trust issues" and have a hard time talking about my real feelings, even over the internet, and though I'd like to write more on the issue I'll just have to keep it to saying that I feel the same way as you, Janet. Well, basically. I even have a hard time admitting to my therapists that I like (or used to like, when it comes to literature, since I no longer read much) fantasy and the like, because of the huge shamey feeling that comes with it.
Love, scriver~

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 06:01:46 pm »

Ill also admit I only really "got into" Scifi as a cover for browsing the Fantasy sections of bookstores and library's. Of course I never check anything out or buy them. Besides once or twice but I don't even remember them very well. Ended up not finishing them because I felt weird about it.

Also how come I ended up with any knowledge about 40K. I picked up a few books for the tabletop game to cover me getting DnD books. Honestly despite all I know about it I really don't care for it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »

Also how come I ended up with any knowledge about 40K. I picked up a few books for the tabletop game to cover me getting DnD books. Honestly despite all I know about it I really don't care for it.

It's pretty much just the imagery.  Reminds me of when I was in middle-school - I was in the band, and we got to go to the supermall after a performance before going to back to class.  I stopped in at Wizards of the Coast and bought the D&D Starter Set and a box of figurines.  I spent the second half of a school day walking around in a fake tuxedo with women's dress shoes and a Wizard's bag, thinking nothing of it.  Looking back on it, I suspect it was right around that time my wicked bad self-consciousness asserted itself.  Thinking about it, it's not hard to see why.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

To cover you getting D&D books? You bought WH40k books for $40 a pop to seem less nerdy?

Ahaha.

I think you're doing it wrong.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 06:10:51 pm »

Used moron. Just one for 8$.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26