Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Guilty pleasures?  (Read 74291 times)

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures?
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2010, 11:49:12 pm »

I'm obsessed with DnD, despite the fact that I don't play and never have.
Try having a bunch of RPG motivational posters making references mostly to tabletop RPGs, and enjoying them to the point of wanting to play them, but due to a lack of experience (and a lack of interested people to try one out; and probably a lack of time to enjoy one as well, and all those rulebooks and all those rules...) be too intimidated to play one.

Didn't stop me from attempting to screw around with some excel documents and a GURPS Character Sheet thing to make myself some characters.

But anyway, I've got one hell of a collection of RPG.net motivational posters, and I don't think it's a complete collection. I wish someone archived the entire gallery (all, maybe 5-7 threads of them) and made a torrent of it (They got so big, and had so many submissions, the forum got DDos'd). That insanity was way too entertaining, and it's a shame DownThemAll! wasn't around at the time (or maybe it was, and it was a bunch of downloading the posters simultaneously that crashed it).

More or less my exact situation, except without the motivational posters. Glad to find I'm not alone in this.
[/post]

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2010, 12:16:02 am »

Try having a bunch of RPG motivational posters making references mostly to tabletop RPGs, and enjoying them to the point of wanting to play them, but due to a lack of experience (and a lack of interested people to try one out; and probably a lack of time to enjoy one as well, and all those rulebooks and all those rules...) be too intimidated to play one.

Didn't stop me from attempting to screw around with some excel documents and a GURPS Character Sheet thing to make myself some characters.

But anyway, I've got one hell of a collection of RPG.net motivational posters, and I don't think it's a complete collection. I wish someone archived the entire gallery (all, maybe 5-7 threads of them) and made a torrent of it (They got so big, and had so many submissions, the forum got DDos'd). That insanity was way too entertaining, and it's a shame DownThemAll! wasn't around at the time (or maybe it was, and it was a bunch of downloading the posters simultaneously that crashed it).

More or less my exact situation, except without the motivational posters. Glad to find I'm not alone in this.
I think GURPS especially held my attention as a game I wanted to play, just due to how customizable that game can get. I already have a recurring universe riunning in my head. Think of it like TVTropes: The Universe. That, except with what I was already a fan of at the time with a few sprinkles of my imagination and etc. that I combined to make my universe more unique, and to make things even more screwed up, some rules of reality apply, but according to certain conditions. Okay, make it more like a sick blend of Garry's Mod meets TvTropes on steroids, and imagined by a child's mind, and this universe matured to adulthood, along with the child that first developed it (and of course Earth is essentially still a "punching bag" planet, and is a focus of where most-everything else happens), and modded by just about anyone. You can even say the universe I came up with is essentially this universe's alter-ego I nickname the "Second Nature", named after how everything there is taken after a few moments living (or more like survived) there. So to put it, this universe tends to operate on "Rule of Cool" alot, and has a Calvinball Rule System. Even Cthulhu's mind would break trying to comprehend it all at once, and God and the devil would shed a tear at the sheer awesomeness of it all.

As downright insane as the entire universe (or multi-meta-verse more like) is, somehow it just works. The MST3k mantra is your friend if you want to save SAN points here. Just... don't try to figure it all out.

Tech level in this game is a standard Top-Class: Anything Goes. And "Anything Goes" is sorta standard there as well (let's say, just about anything I came up with or sketched would be able to somehow exist; The Bloodfist can actually exist there too, crewed by dwarves in Warhammer 40k armor using slingshots that fire quantum singularities (then again, maybe that's a little too over-the-top)). More or less, it makes an interesting ground for all kinds of interesting stories/quests. One quest that I remember coming up with was something along the lines of "Zodiac Slaying". Simply think of it as a combination of Shadow of the Colossus meets Evangeliion, except against colossal creatures that look like the creatures the Zodaic symbols represent (except twisted in a way to make Nintendo Hard look easy). Have fun against Scorpio, Taurus, Pisces, or the Gemini twins. Scorpio alone is at least the size of a city. And just because they're big, doesn't mean they have to be slow.

EDIT:
Another possibility crafted in this alternate 'verse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These fellas do exist and they spit hot caramel or molten toffee at you, and a demonic Willy Wonka expy farms them in his chocolate factory from Hell (both a potential Big Bad, and That One Dungeon). Kill them by eating their cherry-flavored heart. Or make jam out of them, whatever suits your taste. They also melt in your mouth, not by your hand (bite attacks are especially effective if they're warm, far less effective if cold). The place is also guarded by ferocious chocolate rabbits. Oompa-Loompas are also a nasty bunch to deal with as well. Dog-type familiars are completely helpless/useless here (basically, this is a suicide mission for those poor mutts).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:43:31 am by Itnetlolor »

gamergeek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2010, 12:26:47 am »

Chocolate!  And ice cream, and cake, and so many other sugary goodies...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2010, 12:34:30 am »

Have you at least played any games based on the ruleset? Like NWN?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:50 am »

. . . I only discovered this recently, but monsters with a softer side (particularly overly-serious ones) and redemption stories.  I'm a total sucker for both, especially when combined.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2010, 04:49:47 am »

I prefer for my monsters to be, monstrous.
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2010, 04:57:53 am »

I prefer for my monsters to be, monstrous.

Yup, but monsters with complex personalities tend to be more... interesting.  The softer side is kind of necessary for squeeing.  Otherwise, I end up going "Ooh awesome yay okay he ripped someone else's head off... yeah, this is boring.  You should not be the focus of this story."

I guess that what I'm saying is that stories with monsters are always great (I like traditional Japanese spirits in particular for pure terror value), but as characters I prefer their inhumanity to be in question.  It adds more tension.  I am of course also speaking of human characters with monstrous personality traits.

Meh.  I should really get around to working my way through Lovecraft.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2010, 05:06:17 am »

I read textbooks and enjoy reading them.  :-\

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:01 am »

Guilty pleasures?

Drawn Together, would be a recent and current one. Then there is Crayon Shin Chan!

Uh... I suppose any show that popularizes a woo. I watch them for the same reason why some folks listen to political talk radio. It gives me a reason to be pissed off and superior and smart about a subject.

It used to be Ghost Hunters. That was fun. Some woo shows I can't watch for their unethical basis. Like Psychic Kids. That shows sicken and worries me greatly.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2010, 05:12:21 am »

I read textbooks and enjoy reading them.  :-\

Learning is awesome!

That really shouldn't be a guilty pleasure. But maybe I just feel like that because I'm the same way.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2010, 10:48:36 am »

I think GURPS especially held my attention as a game I wanted to play, just due to how customizable that game can get. I already have a recurring universe riunning in my head. Think of it like TVTropes: The Universe. That, except with what I was already a fan of at the time with a few sprinkles of my imagination and etc. that I combined to make my universe more unique, and to make things even more screwed up, some rules of reality apply, but according to certain conditions. Okay, make it more like a sick blend of Garry's Mod meets TvTropes on steroids, and imagined by a child's mind, and this universe matured to adulthood, along with the child that first developed it (and of course Earth is essentially still a "punching bag" planet, and is a focus of where most-everything else happens), and modded by just about anyone. You can even say the universe I came up with is essentially this universe's alter-ego I nickname the "Second Nature", named after how everything there is taken after a few moments living (or more like survived) there. So to put it, this universe tends to operate on "Rule of Cool" alot, and has a Calvinball Rule System. Even Cthulhu's mind would break trying to comprehend it all at once, and God and the devil would shed a tear at the sheer awesomeness of it all.

As downright insane as the entire universe (or multi-meta-verse more like) is, somehow it just works. The MST3k mantra is your friend if you want to save SAN points here. Just... don't try to figure it all out.

Tech level in this game is a standard Top-Class: Anything Goes. And "Anything Goes" is sorta standard there as well (let's say, just about anything I came up with or sketched would be able to somehow exist; The Bloodfist can actually exist there too, crewed by dwarves in Warhammer 40k armor using slingshots that fire quantum singularities (then again, maybe that's a little too over-the-top)). More or less, it makes an interesting ground for all kinds of interesting stories/quests. One quest that I remember coming up with was something along the lines of "Zodiac Slaying". Simply think of it as a combination of Shadow of the Colossus meets Evangeliion, except against colossal creatures that look like the creatures the Zodaic symbols represent (except twisted in a way to make Nintendo Hard look easy). Have fun against Scorpio, Taurus, Pisces, or the Gemini twins. Scorpio alone is at least the size of a city. And just because they're big, doesn't mean they have to be slow.

EDIT:
Another possibility crafted in this alternate 'verse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These fellas do exist and they spit hot caramel or molten toffee at you, and a demonic Willy Wonka expy farms them in his chocolate factory from Hell (both a potential Big Bad, and That One Dungeon). Kill them by eating their cherry-flavored heart. Or make jam out of them, whatever suits your taste. They also melt in your mouth, not by your hand (bite attacks are especially effective if they're warm, far less effective if cold). The place is also guarded by ferocious chocolate rabbits. Oompa-Loompas are also a nasty bunch to deal with as well. Dog-type familiars are completely helpless/useless here (basically, this is a suicide mission for those poor mutts).

That is incredibly awesome, you should write that down and publish it, if possible.
[/post]

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2010, 11:04:05 am »

I have a similar issue to Janet in that I like fantasy things alot, only with a minor twist; I'm way to open about it.  There have been many times where I will talk about it and people will flat out reject me "cause I'm some fantasy geek", so I completely understand where you are coming from.  But then again, oftentimes I find new friends who share the same interests as me BY being open about it.  So my recommendation is to get to know someone and gauge them before you become open about your hobbies and interests.  The worst that ever happens at that point is they reject your interests and not you (although they are close).

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2010, 11:25:33 am »

romantic visual novels (cheezy eh?).

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2010, 01:29:24 pm »

. . . I only discovered this recently, but monsters with a softer side (particularly overly-serious ones) and redemption stories.  I'm a total sucker for both, especially when combined.
I enjoy this and it's opposite actuilly. I once had a book planned that took place in a rather cliche fantasy setting, Elves, Humans, Dwarves, being the 'good' guys, every other race being evil or something. In the story the main character, an orc, would show the world from the point of view of the 'monsters', how they only pillaged villages for food becouse the land they lived on had few animals and almost no edible plants, and any time they attempted to settle on more habitable lands the 'good' races forced them out with violance. In the story he would, eventuilly, unite all of the 'tribes' of different monster species, overthrow the 'good' races. Cut to a few centuries later, and they are treating the 'good' races exactly as they had been treated.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2010, 10:39:46 pm »

Epic Fantasy Series with like 10 books each.

And Dwarf Fortress!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26